E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Hi-fi door and tweeters replaced

12-30-2016, 03:06 PM   #1
sparkymarky
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
Hi-fi door and tweeters replaced

Thought i'd see if these cheap but fairly ok specced speakers would be an upgrade from hifi speaker. Bought these about a year ago on a whim and witha few days off though i'd go into no mans land and see if i could get them to fit as no one else appears to have done these.

The name of these 4 inch speakers and tweeters make me cringe by the way.
But for £39.99 for everything, i took a punt. Here's their info: http://www.bassfaceaudio.co.uk/produ...nent-speakers/

So, doors fitted with 4" 'Bass Face' component speakers.

Composite cones, 100wrms (allegedly).

Fit:

Speaker made as airtight as possible to door card using foam tape

Original Grill fits:

Speaker and crossover in doorcard:

speaker mounted using alloy speaker adapters and felt roofing flashing used to sound deaden/airtight install.

Crossover mounted using felt flashing tape:

And the 50w rms silk dome tweeters fit into the hifi doors sails with a bit of tape to bulk them out. No major mods needed.

No chance to set them up tonight off the amp - the original hifi fronts were 2 ohm, these are 4 ohm so power is down instantly and i only was running about 20w rms to the hifi fronts so tomorrow i will crank the amp up a bit using a multimeter to set gains and blend these in with the underseats and boot/trunk sub.

Not expecting miracles for £39. /certainly not expecting "bass in your face" from a 4" speaker. And indeed they will be crossed around 180/200 ish hz anyway. Will try lower around 150hz and see if they cope. Not expecting much though. However the tweeters are giving a much more even sound than the hifi tweeters did - they sound like another speaker rather than a "seperate" tweeter now. Have been able to take the treble on the hifi head unit from -2 to +1 (partly due to less power i know but we'll see tomorrow).
      01-10-2017, 06:58 AM   #2
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Nice job mate, be interesting to see how much bass you get from the 4 inch
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 07:39 AM   #3
sparkymarky
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
Here's an update socket. Just got them setup properly on sunday. Been running them and it all sounded weird until i upped the amp power output to where it should be. So for anyone running standard bmw amps they wont sound good.

But using a jl audio a4300 with gains set correctly (gain set to 70wrms @ 4ohm to them) i can say they integrate with the underseat hifis very well. A good handover between them and the underseats (low passed at 150 with 12db slope) and these high passed at 200hz (as per the hifi doors before) there seems to be more solid "bass" upfront. The sound/tone is deeper. Radio talking voices are deeper. So there has been an improvement around 200hz. Cant comment on their ability to play lower as i am running them in at the minute. Will eventually take them down to 180 db and see if distortion occurs. Vocals higher up the frequency range are definitely clearer too.
I have nothing to compare these to other than hifi doors and am a relative audio novice having not listened to other brands in detail, so take this assessment in that light - someone more experienced will have to co.pare to the focals, gladen, etc.

The tweeter is also less harsh than the hifi.

So i am happy that its been a worthwhile upgrade for me for very little cost. Detail is also definitely improved, i can hear things in familiar tracks which i have never heard before. Not saying you should rush out and buy whatsoever but i think they are worth the £40 to me without doubt. Others who have had focals etc may not agree and, i would imagine rightly so.

Last edited by sparkymarky; 01-10-2017 at 07:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 07:08 PM   #4
DJWabbles
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 318i E90 Sedan 2009

Good write up and review, don't see any issues with Bassface, my friend has two BassFace subs and it does the job what he really wants and doesn't break the bank at all.

Agree can't compare these to other high end like Focal, Gladen , Rainbow and such.

Do you happen to have a video by any chance?

I currently have Focal Elite 100 KS and they sound great so yeah anything to replace the OEM is a defo go go.

OEMs dont stand a chance at all.
Appreciate 0