E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > PROGMAN (CIP) v25.xx BMWNA SIB

03-23-2007, 08:33 AM   #23
fidozoom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BSM M4 Convertible

Can't show different maps on iDrive split screens?

On my 335 sedan (oct 06 production), in iDrive I can't show different maps in the split screens .i.e. I want to show perspective view in one side and map view on the other. Whenever I try to change the right side view, it puts the same view on the left as well.

is this a known bug? will progman v25 fix this?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2007, 09:56 AM   #24
CoralRedPlz
restless
Rep
Drives: Space Grey, Coral Red 335i

just called my head service advisor who said to 'call if there is anything at all we can do for you.'

he hadnt heard of the update so he put me on hold to talk with the parts department. he was laughing as he got back on the phone and said that the parts manager was unwrapping the new software as we speak, they just got it in this morning. i told him i read about it on a bmw forum and he seemed impressed we knew what was going on before he did .

i told him that mine was excessively slow at some times and that it will occasionally freeze and i have to hit the back button to get it to respond and it still wont let me go back into that screen unless i restart the car (all which is true). i also mentioned the nav arrow thing as icing on the cake and he scheduled me in for next week, and got me a loaner for the day.

all this from a dealer that i didnt buy the car from. great service imo.

edit: thanks to the OP! i cant wait to have that POI +distance parameters. this is going to make the idrive nearly perfect, for me at least.
      03-23-2007, 09:56 AM   #25
CoralRedPlz
restless
Rep
Drives: Space Grey, Coral Red 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidozoom View Post
On my 335 sedan (oct 06 production), in iDrive I can't show different maps in the split screens .i.e. I want to show perspective view in one side and map view on the other. Whenever I try to change the right side view, it puts the same view on the left as well.

is this a known bug? will progman v25 fix this?

i would tell ur service department that, along with a couple of the problems on the list in the OP and u should be given an update i would guess.
      03-23-2007, 12:03 PM   #26
Wsielski
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town330 View Post
GREAT! this is just another bug we can use to get them to install V25. to those that haven't read about this on the other posts - V25 supposedly has several improvements, added functionality (POI by name), faster, and resolves a few bugs.

another bug is the pop up arrow display feature when Nav is enabled and arrow display is not selected.

I talked to my local dealer earlier this week, quoted the arrow pop-up bug, and they said they would load the new SW for me....but they won't have it until next week.
Hi,

I have just got my 335d coupe back from the dealer after upgrading to Progman v25. Good news! All things are working as before; Bluetooth, Ipod etc. The graphical interface improvements alone are forth the upgrade. The graphic are clearer especially the map displays. The whole Idrive feels significantly faster then before. What is even more interesting is that when I asked them what mudles needed updating the answer was "All of it"; the auto gearbox mapping, engine ECU etc. It will be few days before I will be able to figure out if there are any improvements regarding the gear box and engine management. I expect so, otherwise why it needed the upgrade?!

All in all, go for it if you can make your dealer doing it on the warranty, as mine did. The problem reported to the dealer was; very slow Idrive start/boot up when cold, loss of the arrow and voice guidance when map is displayed in the small window on the right. They said yeh we know it and we will do warranty Progman v25 upgrade.

So, good luck to you all, and keep on complaining enough so they will do it on the warranty (as they should)
      03-23-2007, 01:30 PM   #27
fidozoom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wsielski View Post
Hi,

I have just got my 335d coupe back from the dealer after upgrading to Progman v25. Good news! All things are working as before; Bluetooth, Ipod etc. The graphical interface improvements alone are forth the upgrade. The graphic are clearer especially the map displays. The whole Idrive feels significantly faster then before. What is even more interesting is that when I asked them what mudles needed updating the answer was "All of it"; the auto gearbox mapping, engine ECU etc. It will be few days before I will be able to figure out if there are any improvements regarding the gear box and engine management. I expect so, otherwise why it needed the upgrade?!

All in all, go for it if you can make your dealer doing it on the warranty, as mine did. The problem reported to the dealer was; very slow Idrive start/boot up when cold, loss of the arrow and voice guidance when map is displayed in the small window on the right. They said yeh we know it and we will do warranty Progman v25 upgrade.

So, good luck to you all, and keep on complaining enough so they will do it on the warranty (as they should)
Post some pictures please!

Also this whole ECU remapping is scaring me - is there any truth to the rumors that BMW deliberately limits the power output with these updates? With the M3 coming out soon, I am quite scared they might actually do this
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2007, 01:58 PM   #28
Wsielski
Rep

Quote:
Post some pictures please!

Also this whole ECU remapping is scaring me - is there any truth to the rumors that BMW deliberately limits the power output with these updates? With the M3 coming out soon, I am quite scared they might actually do this
Will do some pix when I have sometime. You can, however, search the forum for the pix as there were some already posted.

As far as the "BMW limiting power" with the Progman updates, I really do not think so. My previous BMW was 535d, and every time I got software updates the car got faster and the gear changes (automatic) where faster!
Besides, they can not legally do that. It would, at least in UK, brake Trade Description Act in big way. The car has to have a minimum of advertised specs, and that include the power, torque etc., it can have more but not less. Some lucky ones may have more power from the start, but never less. Nothing, legally, stops BMW to improve the specs however and that is what I'm eager to find out in next few days by "driving it as I stole it"
      03-23-2007, 02:44 PM   #29
Chi-town330
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:

thanks for detailed update on new V25 capabilities. Very much appreciated.

I have to think that the dealerships shouldn't and won't give folks grief about installing the upgrade.

I called earlier this week, and just said i want the arrow pop-up bug fixed, your SIB says V25 corrects that, I would like to schedule an appointment to resolve this problem

"OK, as soon as we get it, should be next week" was the response, I sensed no issues or hesitancy whatsoever.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2007, 02:52 PM   #30
sflgator
Major General
Rep
Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450

Quote:
thanks for detailed update on new V25 capabilities. Very much appreciated.

I have to think that the dealerships shouldn't and won't give folks grief about installing the upgrade.

I called earlier this week, and just said i want the arrow pop-up bug fixed, your SIB says V25 corrects that, I would like to schedule an appointment to resolve this problem

"OK, as soon as we get it, should be next week" was the response, I sensed no issues or hesitancy whatsoever.
Same here...my appointment is scheduled for the first week of April. btw - Wsielski -- how long did the V25 s/w update take? Did you get your car back the same day? I requested a loaner car, but I really hate when they keep my car overnight. :mad: Thanks.

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2007, 02:52 PM   #31
rrandyy
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 328

Quote:
Will do some pix when I have sometime. You can, however, search the forum for the pix as there were some already posted.
Is that a confirmation that the main screen no longer has images and is much more plain?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2007, 02:54 PM   #32
itsbrokeagain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 528iT, E53 X5, E46 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by user1 View Post
Some have reported 30 seconds to a minute of freeze time after starting the car. For example, selecting entertainment after start up causes the screen to hang for substantial time. My guess is this is what is meant by slow response to inputs. Just 5 seconds of waiting for a screen probably wont cause a need for the upgrade even though 5 seconds feels like an eternity when driving. It never hurts to ask your dealer. They will probably ask you to come in to take a look at the slow screens first hand.
When we have such a case, we usually will rewrite the boot file for the I drive. Sometimes it goes corrupt and locks up, or in some cases never comes on again. Usually a 30-45 minute re-write of the boot file cures the issue.

And to all of you out there that think when we program your car we have access or a rule saying we have to restrict your car, thats BS. If the module needs the latest update as specified by the SSS, then it gets it. We don't know whats actually IN that update usually (unless its mentioned on the Service Roundtable, or up as a bulletin), so if something does happen, its not the dealers fault...its the BMW guys from high above.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2007, 03:11 PM   #33
Wsielski
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflgator View Post
Same here...my appointment is scheduled for the first week of April. btw - Wsielski -- how long did the V25 s/w update take? Did you get your car back the same day? I requested a loaner car, but I really hate when they keep my car overnight. :mad: Thanks.
In at 8:00 am back from dealer at 4:00 pm
      03-23-2007, 03:15 PM   #34
Wsielski
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrandyy View Post
Is that a confirmation that the main screen no longer has images and is much more plain?
It has more less the same features, graphics a better in my opinion

Please see http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...8&postcount=46
      03-23-2007, 03:21 PM   #35
PresaMat
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 67 GT500,69 Boss 429, 335i

Garage List
I posted this question on the vishnu support forum too. For the people with procede/xede should we remove the unit before the upgrade? Do they do the upgrade from the port within the car? Will it affect the procede? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2007, 03:41 PM   #36
bigcracker22
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Quote:
It has more less the same features, graphics a better in my opinion

Please see http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...8&postcount=46
the link doesnt work ...
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2007, 03:43 PM   #37
shadowcoder
Captain
Greece
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PresaMat View Post
I posted this question on the vishnu support forum too. For the people with procede/xede should we remove the unit before the upgrade? Do they do the upgrade from the port within the car? Will it affect the procede? Thanks!
Port within the car? As opposed to what? Do we have a port for hooking up
a computer to the OBC outside of the car?

Disclaimer: haven't read on how procede/xede works since it wasn't applicable
to my 330 so don't flame me on the following if it's not correct.

My personal take on this, is that they are flashing the ECU with new sw given
the list of fixes, so on procede/xede equipped cars, they may find out that it's
there or they may encounter problems. I doubt that it will be a transparent
upgrade but who knows...maybe I am wrong.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2007, 03:45 PM   #38
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PresaMat View Post
Yes, that would be very good to know since I'm supposed to get my PROcede early next week and replace my XEDE with the PROcede (prior to going in for the v.25 s/w update). I hadn't planned on removing it, but I wouldn't definitely like to know if that will be a problem...maybe I shouldn't put the PROcede in until after the s/w update is completed.

PresaMat -- please post up here if you here back from Shiv or anyone else on this. Thanks.

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2007, 04:31 PM   #39
fidozoom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
i hate to state the obvious, but just checking - did you push the button down and try changing the map?

i.e., when both screens have same map, slide knob to right so highlighting right (small) screen. then push down on iDrive, you should see options to change. are you saying you don't have that?
yeah i tried that - moved to the right part of the screen and tried to change it. I can change it to things like onboard info, current location etc. just can't get another kind of map out there on the right! If i change it to say perspective, the left side also changes.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2007, 04:36 PM   #40
fidozoom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
i hate to state the obvious, but just checking - did you push the button down and try changing the map?

i.e., when both screens have same map, slide knob to right so highlighting right (small) screen. then push down on iDrive, you should see options to change. are you saying you don't have that?
yeah i tried that - moved to the right part of the screen and tried to change it. I can change it to things like onboard info, current location etc. just can't get another kind of map out there on the right! If i change it to say perspective, the left side also changes.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2007, 10:03 PM   #41
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Just noticed this on Shiv's PROcede Forum; looks like all is good with the Progman V.25 s/w update, even with the PROcede installed...

Shiv@Vishnu
Administrator

"You could leave the ECU in there without any problem. BMW updates the ECU from the OBDII port inside the car. They do know inspect the ECU compartment (where the PROcede is located). But if you want to play it 1000% safe, go ahead and remove it. The update will have no effect on the PROcede if you leave it in or take it out. Nothing to worry about."

shiv

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2007, 10:26 PM   #42
shadowcoder
Captain
Greece
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
I believe this is how it's supposed to work.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2007, 06:00 AM   #43
SteveMD
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 535i MSport

I'm booked in for first week of April.

FYI, my last reflash took the dealer about 6 hours although he was doing other things to the car at the same time.
2016 F10 535i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2007, 08:41 AM   #44
SkipSauls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 35d

Garage List
It would be nice if the automakers would make it possible for us to update the cars without having to visit the dealer. There shouldn't be any technical reason for not allowing this, although there may be liability issues in countries such as the USA where people are nutty about such things. With high-speed internet access, WiFi, and Bluetooth, these cars should always be checking for updates on their own, asking the owner/driver to approve the update, going into "no drive" mode while the update takes place, and so on. I'd bet that a lot of people would prefer this, especially people like me who hate having to go to the dealer for anything! (My dealer is great, BTW, I just don't think I should ever have to go there unless it's for maintenance or problems.)
Appreciate 0