E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Ditched the 4 rings...

06-01-2012, 09:03 AM   #199
ChaseK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335i 6spd

So I had a super fail over the weekend with the headliner. As I was about 1/3 the way done with the headliner I ran into a huge problem. I realized that the material I got had zero stretch to it. I started to get to the contoured parts and it was a freaking nightmare.

I tried and tried but it would just not work out. So I threw in the towel. It took me a couple days and a bunch of stores but I finally found some material that would work.

I finished wrapping the headliner last night for the most part. Forgot to take pictures. Derr...

Tonight I plan to make a couple finishing touches and reassemble everything. Can't wait to see what it looks like!

Also last night got some new tires. Threw the 225/35's that were in the front on the rears and got 215/35's for the fronts. Have way more room to space the wheels out now. Yay ;D

06-01-2012, 09:54 AM   #200
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseK View Post
So I had a super fail over the weekend with the headliner. As I was about 1/3 the way done with the headliner I ran into a huge problem. I realized that the material I got had zero stretch to it. I started to get to the contoured parts and it was a freaking nightmare.

I tried and tried but it would just not work out. So I threw in the towel. It took me a couple days and a bunch of stores but I finally found some material that would work.

I finished wrapping the headliner last night for the most part. Forgot to take pictures. Derr...

Tonight I plan to make a couple finishing touches and reassemble everything. Can't wait to see what it looks like!

Also last night got some new tires. Threw the 225/35's that were in the front on the rears and got 215/35's for the fronts. Have way more room to space the wheels out now. Yay ;D

Super fail with tire fitment too. Stretch is an improper fitment...plus it looks ridiculous IMO. Nice handling.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 09:56 AM   #201
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseK View Post
Well the plaid wasn't working out. I wanted to start my project last Sunday @ 5:30pm so my choices for stores to go to were quite limited. So I just picked up the best thing I could find at the only store that was open.

So yesterday I hit some stores and found exactly what I was looking for, some peanut butter suede. I've wrapped a lot of different things with a lot of different materials but I must say that this is my best work. It turned out money, usually there's always a little spot that I'm not happy with but this material was awesome to work with.*

Here's the final result.

After getting the trim done I turned to my headliner. Stupid gray headliner. Why did they make it gray!

I'm just about to start the process of removing it and doing it in a black suede. I'm also going to do all of the pillars I haven't decided on black or the PB yet.

Headliner in question. It clashes pretty bad now.

This should be interesting. Wish me luck, I'm going to need it!

Stay tuned.* ;D
Rubber floormats? All this attention to detail and Rubber floormats?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 10:35 AM   #202
Brennan
'The Godfather'
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SAAB 9-3 Aero TTiD

great looking car, loved the x5 wheels but the 7 series wheels are in a different league. Your audi was stunning too
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 11:10 AM   #203
ChaseK
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BBS View Post
Rubber floormats? All this attention to detail and Rubber floormats?
Lol. I guess that never really crossed my mind. Time to start looking!
      06-03-2012, 02:44 AM   #204
ChaseK
Private First Class
Rep

Still not completely finished with the interior. Spent about 10 hours on it yesterday. Turned out to be a WAYYYYY bigger more involve project than I had anticipated. But it is turning out good and will for sure be worth the time and effort.

Also last night I borrowed a fender roller and did a little work. Anyone that knows E90 fenders knows that they are the most idiotic fenders ever, They are extremely thick and just rolling them wasnt enough. My goal was to fit 17mm spacers taking the rears down to ET 7.

It was very intense doing this since I have never done it and have seen a lot of horror stories, but after the first pass I felt very comfortable with what I was doing. I rolled them first a bit then had planned on trimming them by basically cutting them straight down the center and then rolling the smaller fold over. I got the cutting all done and went to start round two of rolling and all of a sudden SNAP! The bolt that holds the threaded portion the moves the arm toward and away from the fender snapped right off.

So now I wait for the fender roller to come and we should be in business. I am still running the spacers but the fender rubs on the lip of the wheel pretty bad...

Tomorrow I should have everything all finished in the interior and I'll throw up some pics.

Photo: Chris Batson

Photo: Chris Batson

Booty shot.

Also now that I have more room up front I think that I will have to drop the front a bit more.
      06-03-2012, 12:16 PM   #205
Dr. Anthony
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e46 m3, e30 s52 318is, F15d

next mod: Tires that fit

I have a bunch of VW/audi friends.. I never did, and never will understand WHY they stretch tires on their wheels. I have a friend with 185s on 8.5" BBS on his slammed jetta.

Just because its done to a BMW... doesn't mean its not ricey. Flame away.. just my opinion
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 12:36 PM   #206
ti8589
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

those tires do not look good, is that even safe to drive like that?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 03:06 PM   #207
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Anthony View Post
next mod: Tires that fit

I have a bunch of VW/audi friends.. I never did, and never will understand WHY they stretch tires on their wheels. I have a friend with 185s on 8.5" BBS on his slammed jetta.

Just because its done to a BMW... doesn't mean its not ricey. Flame away.. just my opinion
I agree 100%. Whenever I see this I automatically think the owner stole the wheels and tires. They obviously know nothing about cars THEY DONT FIT and must be dangerous. Why get such a nice handling car and do that to it?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 09:57 PM   #208
ChaseK
Private First Class
Rep

I'm glad you guys like it
      06-04-2012, 10:04 PM   #209
marshall834
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Comp

Really really like the interior. And matching wheels. Awesome work!

Just curious, whereabouts in MN you located? I grew up in Andover but now in Reno.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 10:38 PM   #210
ChaseK
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall834 View Post
Really really like the interior. And matching wheels. Awesome work!

Just curious, whereabouts in MN you located? I grew up in Andover but now in Reno.
Thanks !

I'm about 20 miles west of Minneapolis. I grew up in St Cloud though.
      06-04-2012, 11:08 PM   #211
everlast
Malt'm'n'Salt'm
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xiT

Love the peanut butter. Makes me wanna roll around in the interior like a wet dog.

I could never drive a car as low or extreme as this, but I love it none-the-less. Keep up the updates and antics.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 11:12 PM   #212
ChaseK
Private First Class
Rep

Holy shit am I glad that interior project is over. Way more work then I ever imagined. What I thought would be a 1-2 day process spanned over about 2 weeks. But it's done now and I am damn happy with the results.

Yesterday and today everything that needed to be done got done.

Get ready for picture overload* ;D

First off the stud kit and lugs I bought weren't going to work with the spacers I wanted to use so I went back to regular lugs. The were nasty and shitty looking so I sprayed them gloss black.

Taped them up so they didn't get scratched.

Tada!

I spun my front coils down about 4 turns since I have some space up front with the new tires. No rubbing.

On Friday night I rolled my fenders as seen in my previous update but it was not enough. The fender was hitting the lip of the wheel and rubbed all the paint off of it. So against my better judgement I bought a children's t-ball bat and went to town. They turned out pretty good for what it is and I only rub on extremely bad bumps.

Also gave her a nice bath today.

And without further adieu I present my new interior. So much better than that nasty grey.

And onto some pic whoring.

06-04-2012, 11:53 PM   #213
Desert_Fox
Drop-Top Turbo
North Korea
Rep
Drives: 2013 991 C2S/ 2013 335is E93

Garage List
Someone has probably said it but are those Porsche wheels on the audi? Oh well, atleast thats better than the Chrysler 300's I see around town with the Bentley badges.
      06-05-2012, 04:56 AM   #214
Alpinadrachten
Private
Rep
Drives: E91 320d

Whow that interior is really great.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 05:31 AM   #215
turk23
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 335i SD M-Sport

WOW! awesome car man. love the interior colors. the headliner is really dope and i really like the peanut butter suede a lot. fuck everyone and their stupid comments saying it needs this and that lol. its YOUR car and to each their own, but you obviously know this already haha. i envy your work and commitment. it was fun going through the whole thread and watching your car progress. i think the way it sits now is the best so far. i loved the x5 wheels, but the color wasnt my taste but still looked nice imo. great job man, my COTM vote goes to u for sure!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 10:05 AM   #216
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turk23 View Post
WOW! awesome car man. love the interior colors. the headliner is really dope and i really like the peanut butter suede a lot. fuck everyone and their stupid comments saying it needs this and that lol. its YOUR car and to each their own, but you obviously know this already haha. i envy your work and commitment. it was fun going through the whole thread and watching your car progress. i think the way it sits now is the best so far. i loved the x5 wheels, but the color wasnt my taste but still looked nice imo. great job man, my COTM vote goes to u for sure!
Unique is good!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 10:24 AM   #217
atown88
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

I love the 7 series wheels! Typically pulled off with a lowered car, so nice work. Cool contrast too!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 07:05 PM   #218
ChaseK
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turk23 View Post
Thanks man I appreciate it. I've put a lot of heart and time into this car and it's by far my best work.

There's nothing like having a vision of how you want something to look and then putting it down on paper.

I have big plans for her. I've only just begun.

Next I want to get new wheels again something 3 piece maybe drop down to 18s so I can actually poke them, some recaros, downpipes, carpeted floor mats as what's his nuts pointed out, and an ///M bumper. All in time.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 07:13 PM   #219
plague
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i sold :( / jb 20th AE

Congrats on your 335. I also came from an audi. Ive also had audi's and vw's until my 335. You're into wheels the way i am. I can tell you're from the audi/vw scene Have you ever attended h20? Ill be there again this year, great time. Here was my 6spd B6 S4-

Parts for sale- PWM meth kit, M steering wheel, M shift knob, perforated e brake handle
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 07:43 PM   #220
bumere90
Grozniy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Carless

maintenance wise you are going to love the BMW
I have to admit, Audi's do look great