E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Which Limited Slip Differential LSD?? 335i

04-04-2011, 08:20 PM   #23
cleex024
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKhan85 View Post
you bring up a very good point. I will let you in on what I found when driving my car with the LSD for the first time in a parking lot.....when it was raining . The LSD does NOT magically give you more grip. That's more a function of your tires. If you take a turn without the lsd and floor it, not much will happen. Most of the power will spin away on the inside tire but you'd still be going in the same direction. In the same scenario you add the LSD and the back has more of a tendency to step out or slide. This may sound counter intuitive to what we want a LSD to do. The good news is that the rear end will step out in a very predictable way. This will actually help you go around a turn faster but it could bite you in the rear end much easier if you don't get used to it first(as I found out by doing a 360 as I was exiting said parking lot).

I can immediately feel the difference between my buddy's 335 auto with open diff. It just doesn't feel as controllable with the throttle mid turn.
sweet well if you can feel it that much and with the experience Ive had with the 335i which is not much (6 weeks) i hope i really feel the difference. cause spending $2500 including labor to put it in seems like a lot to spend if i dont feel it most of the time. anyhow will this help is the fact that 1st and 2nd gear spin from the boost will almost be eradicated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzenno View Post
Wavetrac 'cause that's what I run

no, both Quaife or Wavetrac are really good and very similar if not the same build quality and lifetime warranty...i chose wavetrac for price
well i hope so...if someone with experience with both the quaife and wavetrac could chime in it would be extremely helpful in my decision even though I am on the side of wavetrac right now.
Space Gray l 6MT l OSG LSD w/ VAC Race Diff Cover l Cobb e30 l Morr vs8.2 l UUC SSK w/ DSSR l VSRF Catless Dps l RPI Intercooler l CDV Removed l HID AE 8000k l ETS Catback l AST 5200 w/ Vorshlag Camber Plates l ER Dual Oil Coolers l Rear Camber and Toe Arms l K&N Drop In l Solid Tranny/Diff/Subframe Bushings l Bridgestone RE-11
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 09:14 PM   #24
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

Want to know the difference? Find someone who has an E9X M3 and will let you get on it hard. Come back report if you don't think there is a very big difference. That especially considering you have more juice than that M3.
      04-05-2011, 09:51 AM   #25
jdbretz
Captain
Rep
Drives: '18 X5d, '12 M3 ZCP, '12 F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleex024 View Post
yes but I need to get someone to install it and the quotes were basically about $400. yeah I had an e46 m3 and the fishtails in that were awesome and very easy and not so much with this one.
I just realized you have a welded ring gear, my bad. I am bolted so its cheaper for mine.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 10:11 AM   #26
jdbretz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFish View Post
My wavetrac is on it's way when I get my core.... you don't get more traction off the line and exitting a corner?
Yes you will get more traction off the line, because as you lose grip on one wheel, the LSD will transfer power to the other wheel and back maximizing the grip of your tires. You still need to have a good set of tires though for maximum grip. With the proper technique, you'll be able to exit corners quicker because you can accelerate out of the corner without spinning the only inside wheel and losing momentum.

Quote:
sweet well if you can feel it that much and with the experience Ive had with the 335i which is not much (6 weeks) i hope i really feel the difference. cause spending $2500 including labor to put it in seems like a lot to spend if i dont feel it most of the time. anyhow will this help is the fact that 1st and 2nd gear spin from the boost will almost be eradicated?

You are still going to spin in 1st if you are modded, but you will be accelerating while you spin instead of spinning one wheel wondering when you are going to take off. Depending on your mods/tires you should be getting good traction in 2nd, but you will probably spin a little between you 1-2 shift.

Quote:
well i hope so...if someone with experience with both the quaife and wavetrac could chime in it would be extremely helpful in my decision even though I am on the side of wavetrac right now.
Well I am not experienced in either, but both seem to have a lifetime warranty with them so you can't really go wrong either way. The Quaife has years of experince behind them, and the Wavetrac will have better traction on zero/near zero load conditions (i.e. a rear tire lifts under extreme cornering). You may never experience that condition though, and even if you do it is very shortly lived so thats not a huge deal. People are extremely happy with both brands, so I don't think you can make a wrong choice here.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 10:59 AM   #27
cleex024
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe

well i think im going to get it installed probably within the next couple weeks.

wavetrac that is.
Space Gray l 6MT l OSG LSD w/ VAC Race Diff Cover l Cobb e30 l Morr vs8.2 l UUC SSK w/ DSSR l VSRF Catless Dps l RPI Intercooler l CDV Removed l HID AE 8000k l ETS Catback l AST 5200 w/ Vorshlag Camber Plates l ER Dual Oil Coolers l Rear Camber and Toe Arms l K&N Drop In l Solid Tranny/Diff/Subframe Bushings l Bridgestone RE-11
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 11:53 AM   #28
jdbretz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
well i think im going to get it installed probably within the next couple weeks.

wavetrac that is.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 01:25 PM   #29
DaFish
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 435iX, FBO

Garage List
Quote:

wavetrac that is.
Timing is a problem here. If you have welded gears (like me), and you need a pumpkin swap (core exchange - like me) you need to be on the wait list to get the next available pumpkin. I have no idea how long I will be waiting.

Someone will get mine once I get someone elses core.

I maybe waiting 2 or 3 months... get your orders in to be on the list. I think only a few shops do this and your core has to be sent to Seattle or something for the shop that cuts off the welded gear.

OR - you could be without your car for 3 to 4 weeks as they ship your welded gear to Seattle and back.. and hope they don't lose it and ship it to Botswana by mistake.

If you are bolted, you have horseshoes up your a_s.... you lucky bas_ards... you will pay a lot less, and be able to get it done asap.

Previous: 2014 BMW F32 435iX - JB4, MHD Flash, BMS Meth Kit, ER Intercooler, intake, catless DPs, KW Streets, 437M Reps with 245/35 and 275/30 Michelin PSS 4S
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 01:54 PM   #30
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

One of the joys of having an older 335 bolted diff
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 02:36 PM   #31
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

BMW realized they had handed tuners a bonanza with this car and pulled a few underhanded anti-modding moves with things like software measures and welding the diff etc. Now even the stupid N55 Turbo is welded to the manifold, making it even more expensive to monkey around with.

Yours truly lucky bastard here is bolted.
      04-06-2011, 12:16 AM   #32
Icecreamfoo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Boosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFish View Post
Timing is a problem here. If you have welded gears (like me), and you need a pumpkin swap (core exchange - like me) you need to be on the wait list to get the next available pumpkin. I have no idea how long I will be waiting.

Someone will get mine once I get someone elses core.

I maybe waiting 2 or 3 months... get your orders in to be on the list. I think only a few shops do this and your core has to be sent to Seattle or something for the shop that cuts off the welded gear.

OR - you could be without your car for 3 to 4 weeks as they ship your welded gear to Seattle and back.. and hope they don't lose it and ship it to Botswana by mistake.

If you are bolted, you have horseshoes up your a_s.... you lucky bas_ards... you will pay a lot less, and be able to get it done asap.
a word of caution for those who are going the route of swapping core. This is a case I recently encountered: a core from a 09 LCI with automatic transmission didn't fit a pre-LCI model car. In this case, the differential casings between the LCI and the pre-LCI models have slightly different dimensions. To be specific, the difference is at the point where the drive shaft meets the differential casing, the connecting tip on the LCI diff core is about 3/4 of an inch shorter than the pre-LCI core. Therefore when the LCI core is bolted on to the pre-LCI car, the drive shaft wasn't long enough to be secured to the diff. both diff cores had OE labels on them indicating 3.46 final drive ratio, so it appears the cars were automatic and the problem wasn't because of an auto-core going into manual car (or vice versa) type of mix up.

I don't know if it was ever documented somewhere that this would be an issue, or if diff casings on manual transmission cars are subjected to the same
type of difference, just saying this was the situation I learned of. Not all the shops stock up cores from every single E9x model. A lot of times it's like what DaFish said, a local shop may not be able to perform core exchange with you until it receives another core. So particularly for older model E9x guys, it may be important for you to make sure where your new core comes from and stick with one that's not from a LCI car.

I don't have any concrete part #s to substantiate that this difference exists across model lines, but just thought I'd share the situation I came across with fellow enthusiasts (and potential LSD buyers).
      12-26-2019, 04:25 AM   #33
Kbudz94
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

2007 e92 335i got that bolt up life I'm a lucky boy with the 03/07 335i. Already have the M3 clutch pack in there with an upgraded flywheel now just need that stage 1 an LSD and the upgraded m3 suspension and il be in heaven
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 06:42 AM   #34
335e92tx
ahat
Rep
Drives: Was '07-335e92 - Now '13-335IS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbudz94 View Post
2007 e92 335i got that bolt up life I'm a lucky boy with the 03/07 335i. Already have the M3 clutch pack in there with an upgraded flywheel now just need that stage 1 an LSD and the upgraded m3 suspension and il be in heaven
Last 2 E92s had wavetrac and now Mfactory LSDs..

'13 335IS N54 (1 of 373 LeMans Blue out of 3597 total production e92)- Grey interior (1 of 24 in LMB with any trans- 1 of 14 with DCT)-MODS -MFactory LSD/MHD-BQ custom Tune/ATM-IC/AFE Momentum GT Intake/Konis/Mfront&HeimJoint Rear rods&arms/Brembos.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Lo6aHZRo7XqtPkhL8
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 08:52 AM   #35
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
2007 e92 335i got that bolt up life Already have the M3 clutch pack in there with an upgraded flywheel
Is this 6spd MT ? You have M3 clutch?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335e92tx View Post
Be careful. MFactory have issues with the bolts backing out.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 09:15 AM   #36
Jeef
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Quote:
2007 e92 335i got that bolt up life Already have the M3 clutch pack in there with an upgraded flywheel
Is this 6spd MT ? You have M3 clutch?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335e92tx View Post
Be careful. MFactory have issues with the bolts backing out.
mfactory fixed that bolt issue a while back. still having problems?

quaife or drexler are some other options as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 10:19 AM   #37
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef View Post
That is what I have heard yes, last occurrence was about couple of months ago, Wisconsin 335i.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 11:11 AM   #38
Jeef
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Quote:
That is what I have heard yes, last occurrence was about couple of months ago, Wisconsin 335i.
did he purchase new/latest version?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 11:19 AM   #39
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
did he purchase new/latest version?
I don't have the details. All I know it happened on the hwy causing the rear wheels to look up. That is all I know.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 12:33 PM   #40
335e92tx
ahat
Rep
Drives: Was '07-335e92 - Now '13-335IS

Quote:

quaife or drexler are some other options as well.
Everything I heard was that it was limited to a small group where the bolts backed off. Iv had mine in for 30K miles and 2.5 yrs.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...=799541&page=7

And I got a complete pumpkin so if it cratered, it was their dime.

'13 335IS N54 (1 of 373 LeMans Blue out of 3597 total production e92)- Grey interior (1 of 24 in LMB with any trans- 1 of 14 with DCT)-MODS -MFactory LSD/MHD-BQ custom Tune/ATM-IC/AFE Momentum GT Intake/Konis/Mfront&HeimJoint Rear rods&arms/Brembos.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Lo6aHZRo7XqtPkhL8
Appreciate 0