E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Appx. power Cobb Stg1+FMIC/what next?

04-10-2013, 03:20 PM   #1
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Appx. power Cobb Stg1+FMIC/what next?

Hi all,

I've searched but I can't seem to find a dyno sheet for a bone stock 335i with only FMIC and Cobb tune. Just curious about what kind of power I should be putting down so if I get my car dyno'd I know whether it's in the ballpark or not.

Also, what should be my next steps for this car? I've got the 7" VRSF intercooler/charge pipe and the Cobb and that's it. This is a driver/road trip car; I'm running the "aggressive" tune simply because the only gas I can find around here is 93 anyway, there's no 91 to be had, so I might as well enjoy the power. I'm thinking a good oil cooler might be good insurance for hot weather.

I'm not sold on K&N filters and the like; if I were to change my intake I would definitely want a true cold air intake and would give up a little flow for good filtration. So I'm not real motivated to move from stock unless I can achieve better flow without giving up proper isolation from the engine compartment and good filtration.

I've also heard that downpipes are the logical next step for more power, but my inner enviro-weenie and my desire to remain on good terms with the emissions people doesn't like the concept of catless downpipes. Are there any good catted DPs available that will not throw a cat efficiency code without a DP fix or the code disable of the Stage 2 tune etc. and what kind of power increase could I expect?

Anything else I should be looking at?

What about a Quaife or similar? I know it doesn't add power but it seems like it might be a good idea for a RWD car.

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
marv85
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i MT

you should definitely add in a drop in filter with the boost you are running. That's what I had for a long time. they are subtle and definitely work much better the stock paper filter.

Power wise, DPs are your next logical mod. They will allow the turbos to spool faster and dissipate heat easier. at that point, you can just add in E85 and run the race map.

An LSD is great idea as well, doesn;t give more power but helps put the power on the ground so it's great. plus the car becomes more fun to drive. My differential was welded so I kept pushing it away so I can spend money on different mods.
SOLD - '22 Tesla M3P | '10 E92 335i M, 6MT | '07 E90 335i, PTF COBB E50, FBO, HFS4
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 03:59 PM   #3
Maxspeed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i Coupe

I would recommend a K&N drop-in. I actually noticed a little bit of a difference in repose and sound. Do the drop-in if you want to retain the stock airbox, If you decide to get a real intake, then I think most people will say get the BMS Dual cone intake for $99. It works well and I'm going to switch from the drop-in to the DCI.
I have cobb but no FMIC. I just bought catless downpipes and I'm getting them installed in the next week. As far as emissions, and hippy people being against them, I wouldn't worry too much. I might go to graduate school to be a naturopathic doctor and I am about as organic and healthy as you can get. No dairy, gluten, etc. I associate myself with like minded individuals who are very green, but when it comes to a turbo car, Go catless!!

And my next mod will be an intercooler.
I think you should put in some type of intake and get catless or hi-flow downpipes.
After that, I would get an LSD.
I hear the difference is pretty amazing, also get rid of the stock runflats if you haven't already.
And meth I don't know. Personally I think it is risky, but many people successfully run methanol injection.

Those mods and your car will be a beast!!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 07:52 PM   #4
nukezero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series

I have been running Cobb Stage 1 drive on a stock 335i for months. Very awesome power.

I then recently added a Wagner intercooler. I didn't perceive that much power increase but on the freeway, I was able to determine IATs were significantly improved.

I then flashed to Cobb Stage 1 Drive + FMIC and there was definitely improved throttle response and a slight bump in power. I still thought the Stage1 Sport had more power, but I can't run it safely on my California 91 octane fuel.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 12:10 PM   #5
Maxspeed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukezero
I have been running Cobb Stage 1 drive on a stock 335i for months. Very awesome power.

I then recently added a Wagner intercooler. I didn't perceive that much power increase but on the freeway, I was able to determine IATs were significantly improved.

I then flashed to Cobb Stage 1 Drive + FMIC and there was definitely improved throttle response and a slight bump in power. I still thought the Stage1 Sport had more power, but I can't run it safely on my California 91 octane fuel.
I am in Cali and I run stage 1 sport. I read on a forum somewhere that even though our gas is terrible, it didn't really matter. You can still run that map. That could be misinformation but so far my car is fine.
Appreciate 0