E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > E93 335i N54 mods question

04-07-2014, 11:32 PM   #1
djpro1
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 E93 335i

E93 335i N54 mods question

Hi guys

I am contemplating doing a few mods to the car. In the experience of people who have modded their e93's or e92s, is it really worth doing the following? How much of performance gain would I get from a 0-100 view and torque gain? I see a lot of e92 owners modding but don't see many e93's doing the same mods.

Thinking of doing these mods:

JB4
DCI
Catted Downpipes

Also, what's the legality of modding the above in NSW? Do you declare these mods to your insurance company?

Apart from the obvious cost increase in maintaining the car better (ie. spark plugs, coils, more frequent oil changes, wear and tear on the engine), is it all worth the excitement of the increased power?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 11:55 PM   #2
Zen
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpro1 View Post
Hi guys

I am contemplating doing a few mods to the car. In the experience of people who have modded their e93's or e92s, is it really worth doing the following? How much of performance gain would I get from a 0-100 view and torque gain? I see a lot of e92 owners modding but don't see many e93's doing the same mods.

Thinking of doing these mods:

JB4
DCI
Catted Downpipes

Also, what's the legality of modding the above in NSW? Do you declare these mods to your insurance company?

Apart from the obvious cost increase in maintaining the car better (ie. spark plugs, coils, more frequent oil changes, wear and tear on the engine), is it all worth the excitement of the increased power?
JB4 - Legal
DCI - Not really legal, and if a cop pulls you decided to check your engine bay and sees the DCI, that will be consider as a defect.
Catted DP - ? You mean catless? Catted DP = legal.

Some say that we drive a prestige brand and that we rarely get pulled over by cops to check for defects when compared with the JDM. I would probably say yeah thats pretty much true, however don't be surprise that in the near future when BMWs, VWs, and Audis are getting pulled over by HWP and have their hood opened. I reckon its just the matter of time.

From what I had gathered on another site, NRMA would cover all mods on your vehicle without the need to declare. Maybe someone that is with NRMA like to clarify. AFAIK Allianz aint mod friendly.

Most people would mostly likely agree, do a tune first whether its JB4 / Proceed / Cobb, and then work out what you need from there onwards..
Black Sapphire Metallic | M-Sport | GT-CS 19" Matte Anthracite | BMW Perf. Exhaust | JB4 | AR Design Catless DP | R1 Concepts Cross-drilled & Slotted Rotors | aFe DCI | ER Chargepipe with Forge DV | ER FMIC
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 12:23 AM   #3
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 2012 Edition 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen View Post
JB4 - Legal
DCI - Not really legal, and if a cop pulls you decided to check your engine bay and sees the DCI, that will be consider as a defect.
Catted DP - ? You mean catless? Catted DP = legal.

Some say that we drive a prestige brand and that we rarely get pulled over by cops to check for defects when compared with the JDM. I would probably say yeah thats pretty much true, however don't be surprise that in the near future when BMWs, VWs, and Audis are getting pulled over by HWP and have their hood opened. I reckon its just the matter of time.

From what I had gathered on another site, NRMA would cover all mods on your vehicle without the need to declare. Maybe someone that is with NRMA like to clarify. AFAIK Allianz aint mod friendly.

Most people would mostly likely agree, do a tune first whether its JB4 / Proceed / Cobb, and then work out what you need from there onwards..

Yep 100% bang on
Simple mods first as they make the most gains.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 01:33 AM   #4
djpro1
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

With the DCI, will it pass vehicle inspection (ie. esafety check)?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 02:05 AM   #5
Zen
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpro1 View Post
With the DCI, will it pass vehicle inspection (ie. esafety check)?
Pink slip?
Don't think it will be an issue as they only look at your vin, indicators, tyres and brakes.
Black Sapphire Metallic | M-Sport | GT-CS 19" Matte Anthracite | BMW Perf. Exhaust | JB4 | AR Design Catless DP | R1 Concepts Cross-drilled & Slotted Rotors | aFe DCI | ER Chargepipe with Forge DV | ER FMIC
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 02:53 AM   #6
fo55il
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i

correct me if im wrong

jb4 - do it - dont buy ur gf her next bday present. get this. life will still be better

dci - touchy subject - could go either way, Unless u get the covered ones - $$$$

Catless dp - should be sweet, everything is covered, cops cant see. but there is still a pait further down so its all good.

jsut dont get a retarded loud exhaust and youll be sweet.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 03:19 AM   #7
Brule
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e92 6spd man

[QUOTE=fo55il;15743187]correct me if im wrong

jb4 - do it - dont buy ur gf her next bday present. get this. life will still be better

Yes!

tune
intercooler
downpipes

Don't buy an Ebay intercooler like I did.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 05:50 AM   #8
Simonaras
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by fo55il View Post
correct me if im wrong

dci - touchy subject - could go either way, Unless u get the covered ones - $$$$

Catless dp - should be sweet, everything is covered, cops cant see. but there is still a pait further down so its all good.

lol well said

Having just removed my jb4 tonight from my E92 it had transformed the car back to a bit of a slug. I was always intending to do the DCI and charge pipe but never got round to it. The jb4 was best mod gains I've seen on any of my modified cars over the years. I had a heavily modified 2 door STi , 2.5 block forged pistons big turbo etc etc and the 335i with the tune would leave it for dead.

Talk to Stu from BMR and Pete from Advan they know there stuff and will help you with any mods or tuning needs. Even broken seat cables...
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 07:24 PM   #9
djpro1
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fo55il View Post
correct me if im wrong

Haha I had a skunk2 exhaust on a Honda Euro. It was fun for the first year but now I think back to myself.. WHY?!

I might consider the JB4 + DCI combo from Bugertuning ($599 USD). No catless downpipes for now - I don't intend to drag race much given I only have a few demerit points left...

I'll need new spark plugs to support this for sure. Haven't been changed and its at 91k. Coils are working fine since I had one replaced when I bought the car and not misfiring under load. HPFP and Water pump have also been replaced. I don't think there's anything else I need to be worried about? Map 1 or 2 all day?

Now to convince the wife.
Appreciate 0