E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Winter tires in Calgary?

11-09-2011, 09:57 PM   #23
scooby9
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 BMW 335xi

After numerous frustrations with Kal Tire, I ended up ordering wheels and winter tires from Tire Rack. Shipped from Nevada in 4 days.
      11-10-2011, 08:23 PM   #24
ludlow
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i 6M MSport RWD

I ordered a set of X-Ice 2's from Canadian Tire Online (225/45/17) $896 all in, not including install. They will ship to your local store for pick up. I will NOT be taking my car there.

I have ran performance winters in Calgary for the past 3 winters. They definitely don't have the traction of snow and ice tires in the worst conditions but are better than all seasons. I had no issues with them and past many a car up slippery hills. They worked great on frozen dry pavement and are ideal in spring and fall when you still have to worry about unpredictable weather.

This year I plan on heading to the mountains a lot more so I went with the X-Ice 2's
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 12:59 AM   #25
E90MCF
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06' AW E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludlow View Post
I ordered a set of X-Ice 2's from Canadian Tire Online (225/45/17) $896 all in, not including install. They will ship to your local store for pick up. I will NOT be taking my car there.

I have ran performance winters in Calgary for the past 3 winters. They definitely don't have the traction of snow and ice tires in the worst conditions but are better than all seasons. I had no issues with them and past many a car up slippery hills. They worked great on frozen dry pavement and are ideal in spring and fall when you still have to worry about unpredictable weather.

This year I plan on heading to the mountains a lot more so I went with the X-Ice 2's
Could have got you a better deal INSTALLED, with rotate every 10k kms, etc.

- OEM Blacklines - 3M Di-Noc Matte Dry Carbon Vinyl Roof - 19x8.5/19x9.5 Miro M6 Replica 'Time Attack' - 17x8 OEM Style 159 Spider Spoke - Matte Black Grills - LED Interior Kit - License Plate LEDs - CF Roundels/Wheel Caps -
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 01:18 AM   #26
Chrisuofc
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi coupe

After about 3 weeks of frustration trying to find a used set of wheels and winters, im about to throw the towel in and order from tire rack. I can get a package of bargain basement rims and dunlop ds3's for about $1450 USD without tpms sensors. Does anyone think i can do better price wise in calgary? I called one place up and the lowest priced package he could offer was about 1950 (with tpms, which he said he had to sell me by law). I'll keep the $500 and put them on myself.

Anyone think i can do better staying in Calgary? I love to support our economy, but i have my limits.....
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 11:12 AM   #27
ludlow
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i 6M MSport RWD

Does that price include shipping and brokerage, if so you won't beat that. If not you can go to the cart and click on shipping and they will give you the shipping, taxes and brokerage delivered to your door so you can truly compare. I find their prices for wheels and tire packages pretty hard to beat. Just for tires though, once the other charges are added it is not worth it.

A local shop also told me I needed TPMS sensors and they were required by law to install them. What a load of crap. Canadian BMW's do not use TPMS sensors they use the ABS wheels speed sensors.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 09:18 PM   #28
hubble bubble
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Add one more fan of the Nokian Hallapeliitta R.

Had Michelin Alpin on my e46, good on dry cold roads, not so good on snow and ice. Hakkas are NOT as good as Dunlops or Blizzak LMs on dry roads, but much better on snow and ice. Have Xice2 on my wife's Accord - even better than Hakkas on ice and hardpacked, not as good on soft, deep snow or on hardpacked. Hakkas also really smooth as they loose traction, you can really feel what is happening through the seat of your pants and your fingers.

My opinion.

BTW - if you need wheels and tires, no one will beat Tirerack.com. If you only want tires and are willing to get up really early, no one will be at Costco prices. Costco's teenage tire-jockeys are no worse than those at the local tire shop. Maybe better because they were taught straight from Michelin/Bridgestone manuals.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 12:12 AM   #29
uaizaz
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Garage List
2012 335i  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
anyone selling a slightly used set of winters in calgary?
Appreciate 0