E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Weird VANOS behavior, JB4

01-19-2013, 04:28 PM   #1
kcballinsd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 07 335i, 6MT Coral Red

Disclaimer: I have searched the shit out of this topic.

68k miles, dci, 91 octane

I installed a JB4 yesterday for the first time. Startup went perfect, all the menu's were working flawlessly, etc. Unfortunately, I am getting a repeated limp mode with 2A85 - Outlet VANOS being the culprit.

Here's where things get weird. This limp mode only comes under light throttle, low RPM city-driving. If i turn the JB4 on while on the highway, no limp mode codes are thrown.

This is a bit different than your typical, "I went WOT and got limp mode". Before I go do the clean, swap, and replace of the VANOS, has anyone experienced these symptoms?

Many thanks.

PS, the 2A85 VANOS code seems to be rare on this forum. Most people have the 2A87 code, which has the same description. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 07:57 PM   #2
boostaholic786
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 N54 with MHD Custom flash

Did your car do this before you installed your JB4? And what do you mean "turn the JB4 on while on the highway"??? Its on after you install it...I dont think it has anything to do with the JB4 in any way but with your mods you should make sure you connect to a laptop and update to the latest firmware/interface and restore defaults under the file menu and run map 1. you should probably try cleaning the vanos sensors or solonoid before you go and replace your VANOS system. Def pretty weird if you ask me.....
[SIZE="2"]Crimson Red E92 335i M-sport 6-speed with MHD custom stage 2+ flash only , 40% E85/93 mix,+ HRE P40S wheels, KW Clubsport, M3 sways,+BMW performance CF Mirrors, BMW Performance CF deck lid spoiler,+ CF interior trim, p3 vent boost gauge,+ LUX angel eyes (11.73@124mph on street tires)
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 10:55 PM   #3
kcballinsd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 07 335i, 6MT Coral Red

What I meant by turn on is that I switch from map 0 to map 1 on the highway. I will try to clean the solenoid tomorrow and see if that helps.
Appreciate 0