E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > CDV-delete quick ?'s

02-22-2013, 05:13 PM   #1
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 m40i

CDV-delete quick ?'s

http://zeckhausen.com/cdv.htm

OK, been kicking this around since i got my car a few years ago...

first - is this mod reversbile? i would assume it would be?

second - if i do this mod, what are the negative or downside of this? other than the "potential" of dumping the clutch..

i've been driving a manual all my life, never have owned an auto, i think i can manage not ruining my clutch.

third - is it true it extends the life of your clutch?
      02-22-2013, 05:24 PM   #2
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

1/ On the E90 this is a piece of cake. You don't even really need the modded CDV unless you're under warranty and want it to LOOK like you have one. The CDV, lines and clutch all have connectors and click together in series. Apparently you can just disconnect everything and put it back together without the factory CDV.

2/ That's the downside

3/ It preserves your driveline at the expense of your clutch. Well, actually, it'll hasten clutch wear, but preserve everything else - CDVs, drive shafts, dual mass flywheel, engine mounts etc...etc...
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 05:53 PM   #3
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
1/ On the E90 this is a piece of cake. You don't even really need the modded CDV unless you're under warranty and want it to LOOK like you have one. The CDV, lines and clutch all have connectors and click together in series. Apparently you can just disconnect everything and put it back together without the factory CDV.

2/ That's the downside

3/ It preserves your driveline at the expense of your clutch. Well, actually, it'll hasten clutch wear, but preserve everything else - CDVs, drive shafts, dual mass flywheel, engine mounts etc...etc...
Regarding #3... what preserves my driveling? Having or NOT having the cdv installed?

the only downside is "risk" of not driving a manual correctly, really? I need to do the cdv delete...
      02-23-2013, 09:58 AM   #4
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackBimmer View Post
Regarding #3... what preserves my driveling? Having or NOT having the cdv installed?

the only downside is "risk" of not driving a manual correctly, really? I need to do the cdv delete...
Having the CDV installed preserves the driveline, that's why the factory put it there. No clutch drops, herky-jerky starts, race launches etc...

I understand it destroys clutch predictability and feel, and that experienced MT drivers (myself included) prefer not to have it. I'm not advocating the CDV, just explaining why it's there.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 10:44 AM   #5
Xpander
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: N51,LCI,M-Sport,6MT

As far as I know the CDV is there to prevent transmission damage for noob manual drivers. In my opinion it takes away the feel of smooth clutch engagement.

When I did the mod I just removed the valve, took a cylindrical pin and pushed the rubber o-ring and the metal restrictor out. i then attached the valve back in. Looks untouched from the outside.

Don't waste your money on buying a modified one. It's an easy DIY
      02-24-2013, 12:01 AM   #6
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpander View Post
As far as I know the CDV is there to prevent transmission damage for noob manual drivers. In my opinion it takes away the feel of smooth clutch engagement.

When I did the mod I just removed the valve, took a cylindrical pin and pushed the rubber o-ring and the metal restrictor out. i then attached the valve back in. Looks untouched from the outside.

Don't waste your money on buying a modified one. It's an easy DIY
Yea I understand the purpose of the CDV totally. Pretty much there for new manual trans driver as a protection for the driveling, which I dont need considering my man trans experience.

Can you give your thoughts on how it felt before and after?
      02-24-2013, 10:07 AM   #7
Xpander
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: N51,LCI,M-Sport,6MT

So before the mod I felt like I could never make perfect shifts, especially from first to second. The car would slightly jerk no matter how smoothly I let go of the clutch.

After a while you just accepted it for what it is until some of your friends are riding with you and start questioning your ability to drive a manual. I initially thought there was something wrong with my transmission and started researching forums until I came across CDV.

After the mod it felt like I sat in a different car. It actually took me a little bit of getting used to having full control of the clutch. Now I can perfect every gear change with ease making me wish I did the mod when I first bought the car.

I hope this helps.