E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Cobb Tune - Stage 1 Aggressive Issues

11-27-2011, 06:37 AM   #23
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
if anyone wants the 203 maps and have not already gotten them, PM me. I only have them for ECU version IJE0S though.
I'd like them please. PM'd you. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 07:59 AM   #24
StephenKish
Rep
Drives: '07335Ci,'09Z4S3.5i.'12OB3.6R

Garage List
2006 Porsche Boxster  [0.00]
2007 335ci  [0.00]
Not to get off track on this post, but how do u like the performance using Cobb Stage 1 aggressive linear 93 octane? Is it worth the price vs. say a JB tune? Can u feel the tune in daily driving or only on the track (when not in limp mode)?
I'm running the BMW Power Kit, which now retails for 1/2 the old BMW pricing! I pulled the trigger too soon on that upgrade! I like it, but no low end power boost. All mid to top range power. More of a highway tune, but I do mostly city driving (daily driver) so it rarely gets into boost to work and home. My old 330ci with a Dinan flash had better low end acceleration. Disappointed especially at what I paid before BMW adjusted the pricing. Would Cobb help low end acceleration? Hate that lag. My Subaru GT Spec B stage 2 Cobb had no lag after a dyno tune. It also died at 5K rpms which is when my BMW rockets. At 120 it begs for more speed. Just wants to take off and fly. Do I want too much from those tiny turbos? Small turbos should spool fast. Don't get it.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 08:29 AM   #25
BMWsky
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenKish View Post
Not to get off track on this post, but how do u like the performance using Cobb Stage 1 aggressive linear 93 octane? Is it worth the price vs. say a JB tune? Can u feel the tune in daily driving or only on the track (when not in limp mode)?
I'm running the BMW Power Kit, which now retails for 1/2 the old BMW pricing! I pulled the trigger too soon on that upgrade! I like it, but no low end power boost. All mid to top range power. More of a highway tune, but I do mostly city driving (daily driver) so it rarely gets into boost to work and home. My old 330ci with a Dinan flash had better low end acceleration. Disappointed especially at what I paid before BMW adjusted the pricing. Would Cobb help low end acceleration? Hate that lag. My Subaru GT Spec B stage 2 Cobb had no lag after a dyno tune. It also died at 5K rpms which is when my BMW rockets. At 120 it begs for more speed. Just wants to take off and fly. Do I want too much from those tiny turbos? Small turbos should spool fast. Don't get it.
The stock or standard throttle mapping will give you more punch driving around town, the linear maps feel more like your stock 335 throttle response but "more". (If that makes sense.) Most people tend to like the linear response on the track or autox as it feels smoother and is much easier to modulate the throttle when you need to. The "stock" throttle maps of Cobb feels like an on/off switch very early on in the throttle response which makes driving around town fun for the driver, probably not so much fun for passengers.

Both build the same amount of boost. FWIW, I haven't gone into limp mode at the track with 3.01...in fact, my car never had issues with either 3.00 or 3.01. With 2.03, I had all kinds of issues. I only post that because our ECU's are pretty complicated and a lot of variables can cause various issues. I wouldn't let them dissuade you from getting a Cobb (or any other tune) as the developers work pretty quickly to fix them. IMHO, that's worth something regarding the major tunes you read about on this forum. I would feel comfortable with any of the major tunes on this board, it just comes down to what you're looking for.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 08:58 AM   #26
KCX_335xi
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 | 2013 e70 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenKish View Post
My car just rips with COBB AP..... I uninstalled it for my next dealer appointment, and I can not believe the difference in performance. Well worth the investment.
Appreciate 0