E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > performance wise

02-22-2014, 02:06 AM   #1
andybui82
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

performance wise

besides a JBD, what else can you do to get some power out of this, maybe sound? Can we install a BOV?

also, pros and cons to the JBD?
      02-22-2014, 05:36 AM   #2
335dFan
Jumping Jack Flash
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by andybui82 View Post
besides a JBD, what else can you do to get some power out of this, maybe sound? Can we install a BOV?

also, pros and cons to the JBD?
Sound-wise, most North American owners will probably say "Good luck with that", but others may have opinions to the contrary.

ECU (DDE) flashes are popular, but I would say they are typically reserved to those who are out of warranty or more adventurous, as a re flash would be needed if the dealer does certain work on your car. Flash examples include Renntech, Evolve.

I have a JBD and am happy with it.

Pros: good bang for the buck, easy to install/de-install, power addition is addictive, no apparent effect to mpg unless you are nailing it all the time.

Cons: you need to warm it up and have driven it for a few to several minutes before nailing it, or you may get the so-called limp mode (reduced engine power). The limp mode is as a result of the computer recognizing a condition it finds alarming, so it throws a code or two and sets the limp mode condition that reduces engine power. I personally find this a harmless event, so much so that I just clear it while driving using the CAN tool that can be purchased along with the JBD itself. The CAN tool also allows you to read the codes that are stored and then delete them. My opinion is that the reduction in engine power is not harmful as to me you can drive the car normally, albeit with reduced power. I suppose if you had nailed it to avoid an oncoming locomotive or 18-wheeler you might be more concerned, but I suppose you should avoid those situations anyway. I also find that the throttle management is not quite as smooth with the JBD on, but others have said just the opposite.

I find the JBD to be most noticeable in its effect at speeds above 60 mph. So, entering interstates gets you to extra-legal speeds faster than you would expect; it's great at the track for surprising M3s ; it's also a lot of fun hauling up to Wolf Creek Pass from Pagosa Springs (7k+ elevation to 11k+) and similar.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 08:41 AM   #3
Brad335d
Oil Burner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Garage List
Pro for the JBD is that if the car is under warranty you can remove the unit and the car remains stock. With a Flash Tune there's no way to remove the tune to bring the car in for service without the dealership having a very probable chance of finding the tune and voiding the warranty. If you're outside warranty a Flash is a good option especially if its custom tuned for your car (not just a box, one size fits all tune). Also, if you require technical assistance, Terry Burger is always available. You can email him with a question and he'll reply within minutes, he's pretty damn awesome in this department.

I run the JBD because of past great experience with Burger Tuning. The warm-up period written about above takes me about 1-2 minutes of normal driving. If I hammer the throttle as soon as I start the car and drive away I get a 4060 code which I clear with the CAN tool on the fly. Its no big deal just a minor thing to deal with.

As far as sound goes, I think later this year I'm going to install an exhaust cutout midstream and put an electric cutout plate on it, just to see if there is any difference in sound. I have the electric cutout sitting around from one of my past vehicles, this way I haven't invested too much into something that might not make any difference at all.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/qt...FURk7AodSTcAZw
-Not Stock

Last edited by Brad335d; 02-22-2014 at 08:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 11:22 AM   #4
AzureHaze
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport

I know I always hit a couple of limp modes before taking a routine trip to the stealership but every time I scan for codes, it comes empty. Shouldn't even a single limp code be registered in the car? Or am I using the CAN tool incorrectly?
JBD @ 100% | KW ST Coilovers | M3 rep. front bumper | 888Concepts AE Upgrade | GP Thunder 7500k fogs | Cyba 4" carbon tips | BSW Stage 1 | APEX ARC-8 W/ Michelin PSS | Ziza LED interior | Weisslicht LED side lenses | Sprint Booster | Euro side mirrors | M-Sport semi-conversion | Coded | LOTS of carbon fiber
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 11:42 AM   #5
montr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2018 430i G-Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureHaze View Post
I know I always hit a couple of limp modes before taking a routine trip to the stealership but every time I scan for codes, it comes empty. Shouldn't even a single limp code be registered in the car? Or am I using the CAN tool incorrectly?
I also had a case of one limp mode that did not trigger any code or SES light
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 02:09 PM   #6
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335D 2010

Per my earlier post...two days ago I installed my JBD. Power delivery is more linear. (That said, at times I miss the kick associated with the lack of linearity.) The throttle response is just better and smoother.

Like most other users of the JBD, I feel most of the power in the 50-100 mph range. The car no longer runs out of breath at the top end. This is what I imagine an M3 must pull like. There is also more pull down low.

I am not sure I can figure out yet what my true fuel economy is going to be. Seems like there might be a 1-2 mpg hit but I am definitely driving it more aggressively since I put the JBD. I also make sure to warm the car about per others comments about throwing codes. Three minutes of driving time does the trick.

After I installed the JBD I promised myself I would take it slow and start on the lowest setting. That lasted five minutes. I pulled off the freeway, unscrewed the box and turned it up to 100%. I have yet to throw a code.

With all due respect to those who are not worried about increased wear, I think it is silly to pretend there won't be increased engine wear. Hence I am definitely going to change the transmission fluid. Oil changes will be done every 5K miles.

This may sound strange but I bought a DTUK box almost a year ago. I never installed it and I am not sure why. I have read many good reviews. I suppose in the end I was persuaded by Terry at Burger's approach of less is more. The multitude of settings on the DTUK ended up feeling less like greater choice and more like a box that was designed to cover a multitude of diesel models in Europe. I could be totally off base here and I confess I am talking out of my ass. In fact, Andrew at DTUK was fantastic when I dealt with him. With all that said, I know the JBD was only designed for the US spec 335d.

On slight negative... I smell a tiny bit of diesel or burning oil smell coming through the vents after I floor it a lot. I have inspected the engine closely and can find no oil or exhaust leaks. Charge and vac hoses look clean. The car has not gone into limp but when I run BMWhat I do pick up a few fault codes that I clear without a problem.

In short, the JBD makes the 335d drive better and haul ass. It is a solid and cost effective product.

One anecdote: I have an isolated freeway on ramp where I always floor it. Once I reach the point where my car could become visible to police I let off the gas. Flat out I usually hit this spot doing 85-90 mph. With the JBD turned to 100% I did over 105 mph last night.
Appreciate 0