E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > iPhone 5 News

08-10-2011, 03:15 PM   #45
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
I'm not sure why everyone is foaming at the mouth for the next iteration of the iPhone though. What practical improvements will it really carry? That's what I want to know. Other than reliability issues, what's wrong with the 4?
8MP camera, better antenna, cool new design?...nothing really.

http://techchunks.com/technology/wha...features-list/
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 03:25 PM   #46
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by FwdFtl View Post
8MP camera, better antenna, cool new design?...nothing really.

http://techchunks.com/technology/wha...features-list/
Except for the antenna, my point exactly.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 03:27 PM   #47
abisson
Canada FTW.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 VW R - Stg 2

When the iPhone was launched, nobody believed that it could take the business-oriented clientele that BB had. Did that happen? Yes. iPhone/(Other none full touchscreen keyboard phones) got over the BB sales and now, a business person gets either an iPhone or BB, because they got used to the touch screen typing. Here is a good example of what I am talking about. http://gigaom.com/2010/04/19/blackberry-vs-iphone/

Therefore, if BB can no longer rely on their "it is fast to type an email with a BB", what are they trying to do? Phones like the iPhones, Samsung Galaxy SII etc etc... but guess what? THEY SUCK. Torch, Storm etc can't compete with those phones. Not only are their processor and screen bad, but the build quality also. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2390379,00.asp Ask your friends with Curves or Pearls how many HARDWARE problems they got.

Point is, nobody no longer trusts RIM, and they have reason to. Look at their stock.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 03:34 PM   #48
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by abisson View Post
When the iPhone was launched, nobody believed that it could take the business-oriented clientele that BB had. Did that happen? Yes. iPhone/(Other none full touchscreen keyboard phones) got over the BB sales and now, a business person gets either an iPhone or BB, because they got used to the touch screen typing. Here is a good example of what I am talking about. http://gigaom.com/2010/04/19/blackberry-vs-iphone/

Therefore, if BB can no longer rely on their "it is fast to type an email with a BB", what are they trying to do? Phones like the iPhones, Samsung Galaxy SII etc etc... but guess what? THEY SUCK. Torch, Storm etc can't compete with those phones. Not only are their processor and screen bad, but the build quality also. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2390379,00.asp Ask your friends with Curves or Pearls how many HARDWARE problems they got.

Point is, nobody no longer trusts RIM, and they have reason to. Look at their stock.
I understand what you're saying, and you're making good points. However, you specifically labeled the new gen devices as having "outdated hardware". I'm not trying to be an ass, and I'm not arguing just for the sake of arguing, but have you bothered to look at the hardware specs of the new lineup? your friends' old Curves and Pearls did have outdated hardware. This time around, RIM has caved in and is giving people spec numbers they'll like. In fact, it's a big reason why this new line has taken so long to come around (most existing devices are at/past EOL).
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 03:36 PM   #49
abisson
Canada FTW.
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I understand what you're saying, and you're making good points. However, you specifically labeled the new gen devices as having "outdated hardware". I'm not trying to be an ass, and I'm not arguing just for the sake of arguing, but have you bothered to look at the hardware specs of the new lineup? your friends' old Curves and Pearls did have outdated hardware. This time around, RIM has caved in and is giving people spec numbers they'll like. In fact, it's a big reason why this new line has taken so long to come around (most existing devices are at/past EOL).
I will give you that. The new line that is coming out will have good hardware. I meant to say that the existing line sucks hard. Either way, RIM sank their ship a long time ago when they were not up to date hardware/OS wise. That new line won't change anything.

Trust me. Android and iOS are too powerful (presence wise). Hell, most apps don't even come out in Blackberry form anymore...
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 03:41 PM   #50
abisson
Canada FTW.
Canada
Rep

Also, BB invested too much money on the Playbook. That was probably their stupidest business move ever.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 03:44 PM   #51
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Trust me. Android and iOS are too powerful (presence wise). Hell, most apps don't even come out in Blackberry form anymore...
Right, one or the other would have to have at least a minor implosion or major setback to let RIM back into the game like it used to be. However, it's RIM's global performance, especially in developing countries, that is really pushing its growth right now. They do have time to build an app ecosystem on their future OS if they do it right. People who think the OS7 lineup is supposed to be the savior for RIM are very mistaken, it's a spec-rich stopgap and nothing more.

If they don't work on the marketability of the QNX-based OS to developers, they will sink hard and fast. Right now, things don't look too great, but shit moves so fast in the tech world, especially with all these wars over patents and bad blood between the bigger guys.

RIM's danger atm isn't about "going under". It's about becoming someone else's bitch.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 03:45 PM   #52
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Also, BB invested too much money on the Playbook. That was probably their stupidest business move ever.
You won't be able to determine that until the results of the QNX-based OS handsets come out. The PB is a huge R&D platform for the handsets.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 04:00 PM   #53
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE

Blackberry is the new sidekick
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 04:07 PM   #54
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Many of the huge corporations still won't use iPhones. Nobody has the security that BB does. Everybody knows it. RIM fucked themselves by walking away from what they were known for, yeah. They shoved that second dong up their asses when they released a ton of handsets + bb6, which were all not ready and complete pieces of shit.

I don't want a droid because overall I think its a completely fucked platform. Google is trying to take over the world and they want all your information. They're a bunch of data mining pricks. Their hardware has too much balls for what its used for and the battery life of a toddler.

At least I can FaceTime with bitches and show them my face and my balls at the same time on the iPhone. Sorry BB, but I'm not ready to commit to something that sketchy again. We all know how it worked out the last time you released something "revolutionary".
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 04:38 PM   #55
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

FIPS cert also is helping BB, to include the PB now.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 08:35 PM   #56
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FwdFtl View Post
1. Anybody plan on getting it?

2. September or October release date?

3. Are you At&t users mad? (Throttled unlimited date plans)

4. Any confirmed features that make it worth getting over the iPhone 4?

5. Confirmed Pics of phone?
1. No. Not due for an upgrade until March 2012. Might wait for the iPhone 5/6

2. Some say September, some say October. I think September as they will introduce the new iPhone along with the updated iPod line as they usually do annually.

3. Don't care. I barely use 200MB of data a month.

4. Nothing has been confirmed. Only speculation/rumors. Those rumors are:
- A5 dual core chip (from the iPad 2).
- 8MP camera
- Larger screen (wider, less bezel)

5. No confirmed photos. Only thing close to it are rumored iPhone 5 cases. People first assumed that the update would simply be more of an upgrade (faster A5 chip, RAM update) rather than a new design (more of an iPhone4S rather than a new iPhone 5). However, because different case designs have been released in China, people are now saying that there will be a new physical design as well. Pretty much, Apple are putting in whatever they have learned from making the iPad 2 (thinner, curved sides, flat back), into the new iPhone. People have been speaking of a larger screen as well (more real estate by almost eliminating the side bezels).

People should be more excited about iOS 5 rather than the new iPhone. I'm happy with my current iPhone 4, and will wait when Apple finally release an iPhone capable of using LTE.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 09:15 PM   #57
choicez
Major
Rep
Drives: you mad

Heard that AT&T will offer new data plans when the iPhone 5 which is 4G LTE compatible to be released next year. They will make you sign up for a limited data plan on 4G and not honor the unlimited plan on this network. This sucks if it it's true.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 01:09 AM   #58
JaSSon
Down with the N54.
Rep
Drives: I has a E92!

RIM is a joke. I've got a brand new Bold 9650 with OS6 for work. I HATE it. The browser sucks, the data speeds are slow, the screen is tiny, the OS is just a cluster f$&@ to navigate. My iPhone 3GS was YEARS beyond even the newest BB "smart phone". Never mind my current iPhone 4.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 01:10 AM   #59
ghosthi32
Banned
Rep
Drives: Water camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaSSon View Post
RIM is a joke. I've got a brand new Bold 9650 with OS6 for work. I HATE it. The browser sucks, the data speeds are slow, the screen is tiny, the OS is just a cluster f$&@ to navigate. My iPhone 3GS was YEARS beyond even the newest BB "smart phone". Never mind my current iPhone 4.
csb
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 08:35 AM   #60
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaSSon View Post
I've got a brand new Bold 9650 with OS6 for work. I HATE it.
Brand new? A model that's EOL already? People shouldn't buy old shit and expect it to not act like it's old.

Agreed that the mini-bolds are shit though.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 02:11 PM   #61
bmwmthree
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
Many of the huge corporations still won't use iPhones. Nobody has the security that BB does. Everybody knows it. RIM fucked themselves by walking away from what they were known for, yeah. They shoved that second dong up their asses when they released a ton of handsets + bb6, which were all not ready and complete pieces of shit.

I don't want a droid because overall I think its a completely fucked platform. Google is trying to take over the world and they want all your information. They're a bunch of data mining pricks. Their hardware has too much balls for what its used for and the battery life of a toddler.

At least I can FaceTime with bitches and show them my face and my balls at the same time on the iPhone. Sorry BB, but I'm not ready to commit to something that sketchy again. We all know how it worked out the last time you released something "revolutionary".
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 03:28 PM   #62
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmthree View Post
Nope. <3 white bittties
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 07:12 PM   #63
JaSSon
Down with the N54.
Rep
Drives: I has a E92!

Quote:
Brand new? A model that's EOL already? People shouldn't buy old shit and expect it to not act like it's old.

Agreed that the mini-bolds are shit though.
Newest BB Sprint has to offer. I've had mine for maybe 2 months now.

Oh, I get what you're saying. The BBs are EOL before RIM even releases them. Makes sense.

My 9650 was EOL before I even opened the box, you're spot on there.
Appreciate 0