E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 300zx TURBO vs 335i TURBO?

11-28-2012, 08:15 AM   #23
dirtyhousebeatz
Rep
Drives: 2008 350Z HR

Hmm
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 02:58 PM   #24
jeffblue
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi

like really, don't get one. if you want a 300zx your best bet is looking out of the north east. look for ones for sale in FL and california. what's your budget?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 05:02 PM   #25
nightops
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

lots of good info here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffblue View Post
Do not buy a 96 300zx, its the perfect storm of last year of the USDM version of the car, first year of OBDII (which was only done in japan) you will be plagued with check engine lights forever. My friend bought one against my advice and he's still got some evap code that no one can seem to fix, first it was an O2, then evap, etc etc. I repeat, do not, no matter how good the deal is, get a 96.
I have owned 3TT Z32s before coming to the 335. Budget is a key factor here...if you can pick up a nice Z that has had all the maintenence done like the one i sold a couple years ago for like 7-8k (new stock turbos, timing belt, injectors, hopefully coilovers or upgraded shocks and springs) that is at stage 3 you have a 400 crank horsepower car that is fairly reliable. If it hasnt had these things done and the cars history is unknown i would stay away- they are money pits and like people have said- not easy to work on at all. You cant find a 335i anywhere near this price even a salvage one so really you need to determine what your budget is. Is the 335i more refined? Yes...but it lacks an LSD and is more luxury oriented until you mod it...if you are really set on getting a Z you should drive it hard and make sure it has good compression on all cylinders...the last 2 i bought had low compression on cylinder 1 which is probably due to lack of maintenence and cooling issues. Also, you need to find a facility that specializes in dealing with these cars as there are many small issues that they have which normal mechs will be at a loss to deal with. Luckily there are several in my area that i could bring my car to. Good luck with your decision!
      11-28-2012, 05:11 PM   #26
nightops
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
If you're gonna give the 300zx the attention it deserves then its a fun route to choose, but if you're just gonna try and do bolt ons and an ECU and try to beat the shit out of it for as long as possible and constantly be playing catch up fixing things as they break then you're going to hate it. When i bought 94 300zx TT a year and a half ago i immediately did a built motor, garret gt35r turbos, 3" downpipes, 740cc injectors, intercoolers, dual intake, full exhaust, and the car runs great and is very reliable, but i've still had to fix things since then like the steering rack and AC compressor, and that doesnt' include the fact that you need to do some good coilovers and bbk in order to make it safely handle the added power. most 300zx owners i know just try to milk them for what they are worth, they never work right and then they just get fed up. Just an FYI i've prolly put about 15-20k into my car since i've bought it, so unless you are willing to spend the time and money required i would say just do the 335.

I also have a 2008 fully loaded 335xi e92 with a cobb AP and i love it also, and i'm very happy with the combination of the 2 cars. But yea, if you're not gonna spend the time and money that the 300zx needs to really make reliable power then i wouldn't bother with it. But yea, its a great combo if you are going to do the two of them.

As far as the 'vs' is concerned, i bring my 300zx to most of the bmw/bear mtn/etc meets and my z32 is faster than any of the FBO/tuned one's i've raced... my z makes 478whp/482tq on 93 octane.

Pics:

Love the Z! I had the same Volks on my car- i wish they made those for BMW! Your car must have been scary fast!
      11-28-2012, 05:25 PM   #27
CT335xi
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 m50i, 2005 evo 8

the 300 zx is old but is still a awesome looking ride. glw your choice what ever it may be.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 11:44 PM   #28
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

Quote:
As far as the 'vs' is concerned, i bring my 300zx to most of the bmw/bear mtn/etc meets and my z32 is faster than any of the FBO/tuned one's i've raced... my z makes 478whp/482tq on 93 octane.

Pics:

NICE subtle mods. Love the JDM front bumper and rear tail lights and rear turbo spoiler delete. TOTAL sleeper look. You probably surprise the shit out of many cars that try to race you.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 12:10 AM   #29
calvinwu
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

Garage List
1991 Nissan  [9.00]
2006 BMW E90 330i  [8.00]
This is my 91 TT~ cheers~~
Attached Images

2006 Lamborghini Gallado / 1997 E36 328 coupe / 1991 Z32 300zxTT Stage XII
1996 Mustang Cobra Sold
1994 E31 850csi Sold
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 12:04 AM   #30
dirtyhousebeatz
Rep

i decided to go with the ZX for the next 2-3 years...then when the 335i's with 20-30k miles price drop ill hop into one...bought the one i linked at first :] looks clean...only got it cuz its not a car u come across often...thanks for the help guys
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 12:47 AM   #31
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyhousebeatz
i decided to go with the ZX for the next 2-3 years...then when the 335i's with 20-30k miles price drop ill hop into one...bought the one i linked at first :] looks clean...only got it cuz its not a car u come across often...thanks for the help guys
Should have gotten a low mileage e46 m3. I was too late to this thread. Have fun though!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 11:00 AM   #32
dirtyhousebeatz
Rep

Guys...i still havnt bought it..very undecisive..just saw a good deal on a 2007 335i w 60k miles...just seems like 60k is a lot to get into right off the bat right? Gosh idk what to do..my main concern is i know 335i isnt a sports car and it doesnt handle like a sports car and feels like its on rails glued to the ground...is i get coilovers will i get that feeling and will the floatiness go away?? Or will the 335i never feel like a Z handling wise or any other sports car?! Please help!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 11:19 AM   #33
GAaaAR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyhousebeatz View Post
Guys...i still havnt bought it..very undecisive..just saw a good deal on a 2007 335i w 60k miles...just seems like 60k is a lot to get into right off the bat right? Gosh idk what to do..my main concern is i know 335i isnt a sports car and it doesnt handle like a sports car and feels like its on rails glued to the ground...is i get coilovers will i get that feeling and will the floatiness go away?? Or will the 335i never feel like a Z handling wise or any other sports car?! Please help!!!
From my experience, I got KW street comforts and the car handled slightly better than my old 2004 G35 with sway bars. And my g35 with sway bars is probably around the same if not better than a 350z in terms of handling, they are only about 200 lbs apart and sway bars kind of off-setted that difference in a handling point of view. If you do more than just coilovers, I think you'll be happy with the handling.

Having said that, even if both cars handle similarly well, the handling and driving feel of these cars are still very different. If you're going for the driving feel of the Z, then get a Z. The 335i feels more grown up in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 01:35 PM   #34
nightops
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAaaAR View Post
From my experience, I got KW street comforts and the car handled slightly better than my old 2004 G35 with sway bars. And my g35 with sway bars is probably around the same if not better than a 350z in terms of handling, they are only about 200 lbs apart and sway bars kind of off-setted that difference in a handling point of view. If you do more than just coilovers, I think you'll be happy with the handling.

Having said that, even if both cars handle similarly well, the handling and driving feel of these cars are still very different. If you're going for the driving feel of the Z, then get a Z. The 335i feels more grown up in my opinion.
I had this experience with my G35s as well. 335 with sport package and proper tires(not rft which suck) does corner like its on rails...does it feel sporty...that is a subjective experience, 335i is more refined imo. if you get any 335i you should get a cpo warranty or some kind of warranty.300zx is a project car you need to have a backup dd if something goes wrong.
      12-03-2012, 03:20 PM   #35
amani
Rep
Drives: 2007 335 coupe

I never owned a 300zx before, but love japanese sports car especially nostalgic cars (have a 83 supra btw) and the z is one of them . talk about 3x as pricy easily, if budget is not an issue then go for 335i for sure. Not saying the z is not reliable but its not fair to compare a 4 year old car and a 15 year old car. as a DD definitely BMW, the 300zx is only good for 2nd car or nostalgic reason, besides, if i have a z, i wouldn't want to put too many miles on it anyways.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 11:48 PM   #36
jeffblue
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightops View Post
Love the Z! I had the same Volks on my car- i wish they made those for BMW! Your car must have been scary fast!
Thanks i still have it though, its pretty quick lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post
NICE subtle mods. Love the JDM front bumper and rear tail lights and rear turbo spoiler delete. TOTAL sleeper look. You probably surprise the shit out of many cars that try to race you.
haha yea a lot of people think it's NA because it doesn't have the wing, even though i have the oem twin turbo decal on the back.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAaaAR View Post

Both are drivers car, i like bmw 3 series because they are luxury cars that are still fun to drive and you feel like you are connected to the road... although that is slowly changing as they introduce more electronic assisted steering bs, but thats another story.

as far as handling is concerned, the Z out of the box doesn't really handle that well by todays standards. I mean, if you are buying a 300zx you are at best going to find one with some middle of the road powertrix coilovers or kyb AGX Shocks and some eibach or tein springs, or at worst original suspension that is old as shit and worn out. I have KW V3's on my 300zx and it handles great and feels amazing, honestly tho, you will love how either of them handle with good suspension like KW v3's, so i wouldn't get one over the other just based on handling. most of all tho, you aren't going to be limited by the car in terms of handling, you're just limited by your abilities and your level of confidence. i go on bear mountain runs and i can't keep up with some people in slower cars just because they are willing to go faster, despite the fact that they have some springs, stock brakes, and some mediocre tires tires and i have 478whp, stoptech brakes, kw v3's and michelin pilot supersports. Don't get me wrong, i love to drive hard and push my car, but i dont want to find out its limits around a blind curve or off the edge of a cliff lol. but yea, as far as feel is concerned, put kw's on either and you'll love it. if you're not willing to spend money on good suspension just get a 335 because out of the box it feels better to drive. if you are willing to spend money though, a 300zx TT with a BBK, good tires, sway bars, and good coilovers and all the adjustable arms will handle very well and feel great.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 06:44 AM   #37
dirtyhousebeatz
Rep

hey guys just decided to show u my boo for the BMW owners that are not fan boys and could appreciate something else besides a BMW. I was very indecisive about going with the ZX even after just coming from a 350. I am very happy though and i still plan to get into an n54 engine. This pic was when i was installing my wheels...its about an inch higher..and the rears werent on yet..they are now..but i dont have any new pics..still trying to adjust perfect height so i could go align it. its quite frustating to get an even stance. i can post more if u guys want later after i get everything official. also might need some spacers for the rear since i decided to go w a square setup in jew mode..but i like the boxy wide look anyways...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 08:59 AM   #38
Turb0Surge
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BLACK e90 335i

Quote:
hey guys just decided to show u my boo for the BMW owners that are not fan boys and could appreciate something else besides a BMW. I was very indecisive about going with the ZX even after just coming from a 350. I am very happy though and i still plan to get into an n54 engine. This pic was when i was installing my wheels...its about an inch higher..and the rears werent on yet..they are now..but i dont have any new pics..still trying to adjust perfect height so i could go align it. its quite frustating to get an even stance. i can post more if u guys want later after i get everything official. also might need some spacers for the rear since i decided to go w a square setup in jew mode..but i like the boxy wide look anyways...

Looks great!!! enjoy the car!