E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Aftermarket Headunit install questions

04-06-2009, 02:04 AM   #1
exclusivo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: race car

Aftermarket Headunit install questions

ok, ive read thru a pages of threads on this, but still have some questions.

I want to replace my stock radio with something like an avic n3, cd/mp3/navigation

after checking a few threads, i see it can be done in many ways, tucking the climate controls away...relocating the stock radio... using dash kits.

now, i want to go with using the dash kit seen in these projects:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...3&postcount=26
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...8&postcount=80

what I am wondering is, if this would still require me to move the original headunit to somewhere else. would my steering controls work, would i hear all of the cars chimes thru the new radio? low gas chime, trunk open chime etc. and what other things would i lose? everyone seems to ask how its done, but no one ever answers...
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 08:10 AM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmegetatthat View Post

I want to replace my stock radio with something like an avic n3, cd/mp3/navigation

after checking a few threads, i see it can be done in many ways, tucking the climate controls away...relocating the stock radio... using dash kits.

what I am wondering is, if this would still require me to move the original headunit to somewhere else. would my steering controls work, would i hear all of the cars chimes thru the new radio? low gas chime, trunk open chime etc. and what other things would i lose? everyone seems to ask how its done, but no one ever answers...
You could always send a PM to those two members asking how they did it, especially to installmd...
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 10:05 AM   #3
scooby9
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 BMW 335xi

If you have the standard professional system without I-drive, it's pretty straight forward. You can just replace the head unit. You will need a DIN plate , adapter kit, antenna adapter, and the steering wheel controls adapter. You will not lose your steering wheel controls. I have all of the bits that you need if you are interested.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...&highlight=pac

Quote:

04-06-2009, 03:55 PM   #4
exclusivo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby9 View Post
If you have the standard professional system without I-drive, it's pretty straight forward. You can just replace the head unit. You will need a DIN plate , adapter kit, antenna adapter, and the steering wheel controls adapter. You will not lose your steering wheel controls. I have all of the bits that you need if you are interested.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...&highlight=pac
wow! I will pm you tonight when I get home. I have the regular professional system, no idrive or logic 7. I didnt even know about that steering wheel adapter.

In one of the other threads, they mentioned a canbus adapter to retain some of the oem features, is that needed also?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 04:42 PM   #5
scooby9
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
wow! I will pm you tonight when I get home. I have the regular professional system, no idrive or logic 7. I didnt even know about that steering wheel adapter.

In one of the other threads, they mentioned a canbus adapter to retain some of the oem features, is that needed also?
The CAN BUS adapter is really only needed to maintain your steering wheel controls. Depending on the head unit that you install, you will also likely need the SWI-JACK which interfaces the SWI-CAN2 with the headunit. The two units combined bridge the steering wheel control functionality with the head unit.

http://pac-audio.com/products/produc...el%20Interface

I'll take some more pics of all the bits that I have and post them up tonight.
      04-06-2009, 08:28 PM   #6
scooby9
Major
Canada
Rep

Here are the pics of all the parts I got from Crutchfield. All parts are new and unused. My lease is up in 10 months so I decided to abort the project since I will be picking up a new car at the end of the year...

All the wire up parts that you need including the euro antenna adapter. Might not be needed depending on which head unit that you install.:

The SWI-CAN2 that interfaces with the CAN BUS wires behind the head unit. This will interpret all of the OEM steering wheel commands and relay them to the required SWI-JACK (this interfaces with the after market head unit):

The din dash kit that will act as the fascia once the OEM head unit is replaced:

The harness that connects the after market head unit with the OEM harness behind the OEM head unit:

Close up of harness:
      04-06-2009, 08:38 PM   #7
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
please moar pictures of the plastic adapter kit in a better light.
i assume it is made out of the same cheap-looking plastic that the rest of their kits made out of?

also, how were you planning to hook up the speakers? run RCA cables to the amp in the trunk and then splicing into the speaker wires from there?
      04-06-2009, 08:53 PM   #8
exclusivo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

for now, i just have plans for the headunit, will take care of speakers later. will prolly change the subs under the seats next. im guessing all you have to do is attach the harness from the new headunit to the bmw harness by matching the colors of the wires like on most other cars.

scooby, do you know if there will be any other problems with the installation since bmw using optical connections?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 08:55 PM   #9
scooby9
Major
Canada
Rep

Hopefully these pics are better. The fascia is made by Metra. For the speakers I was going to use the OEM wiring and just hook up the aftermarket amp output directly to the OEM speaker wires at the trunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solefald View Post
please moar pictures of the plastic adapter kit in a better light.
i assume it is made out of the same cheap-looking plastic that the rest of their kits made out of?

also, how were you planning to hook up the speakers? run RCA cables to the amp in the trunk and then splicing into the speaker wires from there?
      04-06-2009, 08:57 PM   #10
scooby9
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
for now, i just have plans for the headunit, will take care of speakers later. will prolly change the subs under the seats next. im guessing all you have to do is attach the harness from the new headunit to the bmw harness by matching the colors of the wires like on most other cars.

scooby, do you know if there will be any other problems with the installation since bmw using optical connections?
With the non-Logic 7, all the connectors are analog so there won't be any issues. The Logic 7 guys have the added challenge of having to grab the source after the OEM amp which has some EQ done to the signal. Since, we are all analog, we can grab the source pre-OEM amp which is a non-EQ'd signal (aka relatively flat). Mind you this is only if you are installing an aftermarket amp and keeping the OEM head unit. If you are installing just the head unit then there is nothing to modify in the trunk at all.
      04-06-2009, 09:20 PM   #11
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
Quote:
Hopefully these pics are better. The fascia is made by Metra. For the speakers I was going to use the OEM wiring and just hook up the aftermarket amp output directly to the OEM speaker wires at the trunk.
This plastic piece looks pretty decent!

One problem though, post-'08 cars do not have speaker wires going to the amp. They went SBUS (or something-BUS, i can't remember) and now use the optical cable, so the only choice now is to run RCA cables into the trunk, and use an aftermarket amp to splice into the speaker wire going from the trunk to the speakers. BMW bluetooth module is also wired into the headunit, so taking it out will make it useless, unless you buy a new aftermarket stereo with BT, and even in that case it *may* not work with your steering wheel controls (even with adapter). Your 6FL option is also becomes obsolete, unless you have iPod hook up on the stereo.

My car came without BT, so i installed Parrot CK3000 with a quickconnect harness and SW101 interface box (saved me $900 comparing to the OEM BT). If i get an aftermarket stereo, this thing may also become useless....

... and i still want to get rid of that POS stock CD player.
      04-06-2009, 10:27 PM   #12
exclusivo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

yea, my car has bluetooth, but technically i didnt pay for it since i got it used. im thinking about going with the pioneer avic n4/n5 which has bluetooth and ipod options. everything can be had on ebay for less than 800.

i started with just wanting a portable gps, but i didnt like the wires, having it stuck to the windshield, small screen, so that is why i am here today
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 10:39 PM   #13
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
Quote:
i started with just wanting a portable gps, but i didnt like the wires, having it stuck to the windshield, small screen, so that is why i am here today
haha, an iphone solves alot of issues

Last edited by solefald; 05-06-2009 at 06:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 06:11 PM   #14
srcstc
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by solefald View Post
One problem though, post-'08 cars do not have speaker wires going to the amp. They went SBUS (or something-BUS, i can't remember) and now use the optical cable, so the only choice now is to run RCA cables into the trunk...

Not quite true. Only Logic7 vehicles use optical. All others still use speaker wires and you can install an aftermarket headunit.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 04:36 AM   #15
mrwink2006
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 Apline White 325i Sedan

Quote:

The SWI-CAN2 that interfaces with the CAN BUS wires behind the head unit. This will interpret all of the OEM steering wheel commands and relay them to the required SWI-JACK (this interfaces with the after market head unit):

Do you still have this for sale?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 11:35 AM   #16
omelet1978
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i w/ Premium Package

So I take it you cannot do this with the logic audio system?

I really wanted to put an Alpine CDA-105 in my 06 bmw 3, but I was told that b/c I have the logic audio it would be a complete re-wire and I would loose a subwoofer.

Any advice on this?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2010, 05:45 AM   #17
piggelin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i E90 2005

im lookin on those pioneer avic. i want to keep controls. but the link doesnt work anymore
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2010, 12:15 PM   #18
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Professional Radio questions

Isn't there still some issues with the Most Bus such as Bluetooth and the Alarms
I know you would loose the readout for the trip computer but what happens if you leave the Most Bus connection floating.
I know the adding of speaker and amp is analog but isn't there still info coming from other modules
to the radio that need to be taken care of.

Last edited by ctuna; 03-20-2010 at 12:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 11:11 AM   #19
piggelin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i E90 2005

well now im back again, i dont understand this really. i am going to change my HU.

maybe a 1DIN maybe a 2DIN

but i want to know what kind of things i need to make my multi-wheel buttons to function and thats practically it. its th only thing that might be a problem for me
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 07:10 PM   #20
srcstc
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by piggelin View Post
well now im back again, i dont understand this really. i am going to change my HU.

maybe a 1DIN maybe a 2DIN

but i want to know what kind of things i need to make my multi-wheel buttons to function and thats practically it. its th only thing that might be a problem for me
http://pac-audio.com/Products.aspx?CategoryId=29

You need the SWI-CAN2 and the SWI model for your radio (eg. SWI-CAN2 and SWI-PS for pioneer).
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 01:14 PM   #21
moO moO nEL
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 323i Msport; DC2R (track car)

Garage List
I am looking to replace my Professional radio as well...
to Kenwood double din all-in-one HU (GPS/Bluetooth/DVD etc).

Can I still use the phone button on my steering wheel to pickup/hang up phone with this PAC control interface?

Nelson
2010 NSW CAMS Supersprints champion (3B class)
Appreciate 0