E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > N52B30 Power upgrades(naturally aspirated)

04-17-2020, 11:56 AM   #23
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

Want the most HP? ESS Supercharger, MILVS, 3 stage intake, headers and exhaust. Some people were getting more than a stock 335i on a dyno without turbo lag obviously. Really close to a e46 M3.

Also you can get a tune for the transmission to make it more lively
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 01:05 PM   #24
alfazrus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90 330i

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=737221
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 02:18 PM   #25
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazkilljoy View Post
Yall have some serious doubt issues.

I am literally publicly stating that I am willing to pioneer the N52 platform power adders past bolt ons while posting dyno runs at beginning and end. NOBODY has done a full exploration of the n52's potential like this.

I don't want an LS. I want a BMW N52 NA. I want a motor that I can swap into my car in 3 hours LITERALLY plug and play. If I wanted an LS to play with, I could mod my GMC.

The spare motor is purchased and waiting at the seller's house for pick up. Same model as my motor.

This is happening. No use in trying to send me a different direction. I own the experimental engine.

I live in a northern state where snow and rain are constant issues on a daily basis. I bought an awd for a reason. Rwd is not an option. The goal remains the same with the extra drivetrain weight. 280 to the wheels. No nitros. I want to be able to use all 280 at any time, not just on the track. I like the fuel mileage that comes with my current gearing. No 3.73 any time soon. After all, i intend on swapping engines back and forth whenever desired. If the modded engine fails, i will go back to the stocker and rebuild the high HP motor.

Now then. Does anyone know the valve/piston clearence @ 100% lift stock? Will be necessary for safely raising compression ratios. Does anyone know how far the cylinder walls can be bored out? New larger pistons that might require valve reliefs, etc.

I need experienced knowledge of sizes and clearences to start ordering parts.

The current build plan is as follows
Catless headers
Milv
3SIM
High compression pistons(with larger bore?)
Lighten crankshaft
BPC milv tune
Cold air intake w/ box to seperate engine compartment heat soak
Smooth bore intake piping
Exhaust valves pre muffler
Upgraded water pump

Photos and possibly videos to follow soon
If you are willing to do all that why even bother with the 3IM? Go right to a short runner intake manifold (like a N54 or even better a custom properly flow optimized one). There’s dyno’s out there that show the differences but for max HP the 3IM is lacking. Google N54 manifold on N52 to see some dynos. The most N/A power I’ve ever seen on a N52 dyno was 265whp and it was a manual with no intake manifold just the runners from a standard n52 manifold attached to the head like velocity stacks.

This was before milvs BTW so presumably the set up on that motor would make ~275whp with MILV’s. Bob tuned that motor when he was with BPC btw

Higher compression ratio sounds good to me. This is an area where the N52 could be optimized. Also exhaust cams need to be developed. I would focus on those 2 areas if you want to pioneer meaningful changes to set a new power level.

Last edited by Biginboca; 04-17-2020 at 02:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 11:50 PM   #26
crazkilljoy
Rep
Drives: 2010 328I Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
If you are willing to do all that why even bother with the 3IM? Go right to a short runner intake manifold (like a N54 or even better a custom properly flow optimized one). There’s dyno’s out there that show the differences but for max HP the 3IM is lacking. Google N54 manifold on N52 to see some dynos. The most N/A power I’ve ever seen on a N52 dyno was 265whp and it was a manual with no intake manifold just the runners from a standard n52 manifold attached to the head like velocity stacks.

This was before milvs BTW so presumably the set up on that motor would make ~275whp with MILV’s. Bob tuned that motor when he was with BPC btw

Higher compression ratio sounds good to me. This is an area where the N52 could be optimized. Also exhaust cams need to be developed. I would focus on those 2 areas if you want to pioneer meaningful changes to set a new power level.
I want to maintain as much of a stock cam profile as possible for stock power delivery, equating to maintained driveablility. The MILVs are almost more than I wanted to do, but the increased valve lift provides much needed power advantages.

The 3SIM is common, which means tunes including that component are decently refined by now. Velocity stacks, im sure, are a much less common mod. The tuning will require custom touches to take advantage. Also, the mileage and driveability will suffer, i imagine.

Your input is appreciated all the same. If i cannot achieve my desired power level with the 3SIM, i will have the head flow-tested. If the intake is the restrictive factor, velosity stacks will be my next upgrade before larger valves.

I am uncertain how the exhaust side will perform. I don't know if it can evacuate the extra added combustion gasses in conjunction with intake upgrades. If it becomes the limiting factor, I will either have the cam lobes re-ground to provide necessary lift, or over size the valves to allow for the extra volume of evacuation.

Again, i appreciate your input. Please keep it coming.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 07:35 PM   #27
Minutes2Midnight
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 328i

I was able to turn 250whp with a BPC tune, AA headers, 3SIM, and a Turner intake with the silicone boot. No MILVS yet, but they're a mod I'd like to do going forward. I think the biggest issue is that no companies are really interested in or devoted to the NA development. BPC doesn't offer tuning anymore except for diesels, so I think they'll be a dead end as far as their N52 development goes.

There's an N52 motor in a link posted above in a 128i that makes 300whp+ for racing, but the owner said that it had a Motec ECU because the Valvetronic had to be locked open. Not to mention, he was over $18k invested in it. Now granted, I believe he wanted to stay under the 3.0L displacement to stay in his racing class, so it sounds like bore/stroke wasn't a consideration. I reached out to Rebello racing about a stroker kit that they mention on their website for the N52 for under $4k, but I haven't heard anything back.

I'm playing around with an ESS supercharger and Bob & Phil at StageFP say that I'll need meth injection to see north of 350whp. BPC and a couple of others have custom fabricated turbo kits that make big power, but nothing is commercial yet. I have the same dream as you, a powerful NA motor in our cars, but I think the ESS supercharger is the most cost effective way to get to 300whp on this platform while retaining NA feel and stock driving characteristics of the motor.

As far as the supercharger, it's pretty compact and only takes the place of the stock airbox. I can keep you updated on tuning to let you know my experience with the tuning process.

Last edited by Minutes2Midnight; 04-18-2020 at 07:47 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2020, 06:08 PM   #28
CDirks
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328xi

Subscribed. I wish you good fortune in the posts to come OP
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 11:01 PM   #29
tylerhart_21
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Bmw 328i Coupe

Garage List
2008 Bmw 328i  [0.00]
With the n52 when I get a stage three intake manifold is it better for me to tune it right after or there is no difference? (Thinking about the power and the fuel economy)
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 03:10 AM   #30
4foothill
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 325i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Efthreeoh View Post
Have you considered selling your car and getting a 335i instead? It is the answer to your question.
I can't tell if you're trolling or not. He literally says don't tell him to buy an n54 in the first and last sentence of his post and yet still half of the posts are banging on about 335i's like you're all on comission
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 03:30 AM   #31
TheTallJS
United_States
Rep
Drives: Metallic Black 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
there was a 3.2 stroker kit for sale a long while ago by noelle, i dont think its available anymore. there was a video on youtube of a 1er with it. i think it netted around 300hp

Last edited by TheTallJS; 07-21-2020 at 03:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 11:03 AM   #32
4foothill
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 325i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Efthreeoh View Post
Let me paint a scenario for you.

Guy wants a phone. Needs to be made of aluminum. Needs to have a 5 inch screen. Needs to have have triple gas mask looking camera. Needs to have iMessage. Needs to have name start with “i”. Needs to have a fruit for a logo.

But it can’t be an iPhone. SuGgEsTiOnS??????
Read his post, at what point did he make any demands except for no 335i and no turbo. You've suggested the one solution that doesn't meet any of his demands...
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 12:39 PM   #33
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Ignore the troll. I'm pretty sure it's just a 3rd account by slowcar / porsche959.
Appreciate 1
213e90n51366.50
      07-21-2020, 03:02 PM   #34
213e90n51
Banned
South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i, Honda Civic Hat

Garage List
2009 328i  [0.00]
2019 M4  [0.00]
2019 Honda Civic Ha ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearsFan52 View Post
The N52 is actually 255hp stock but the babied version in the 328i can be unlocked to 255 with the manifold upgrade and a higher flow exhaust. That’s where I’m starting with my 09 stock 328. FBO with a decent tune to active the manifold will get you around 260/270 crank. Not a crazy amount but you can feel the difference.

If you wanna get REALLY Spicy you can start playing with XHP if you have an auto or xDelete if you have xDrive for the RWD experience and switch it whenever you feel necessary.
do you have that tune?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 07:22 PM   #35
franksinatra
Private
Rep
Drives: 328i 2011

Hey, what kind of progress have you made on this? At this point I am full bolt on with what exists, (MILVs, 3SIM, headers) on a 2011 328 xDrive automatic. Honestly, with these 3 mods I like the car a lot more. Still runs very smooth and none of the mods cause any issues, so it makes for an extremely reliable daily driver.

I put a lot of KMs on my car (bought it at about 86,000km two and a half years ago, I'm up to 170,000km now). That's what I like most about it, very dependable car while still being fun to drive. I've had various suspension components that inevitably wear out with age, but on the engine all I've done is (a lot) of oil changes, belt and tensioner, water pump and thermostat, and a weird vacuum pump issue that needed a replacement.

Any other mods would have to follow the same pattern as the ones I've done so far, in which they don't cause more issues than they're worth. I'm pretty sure I already know what your answer is, but if you've found other nice power mods please do share
Appreciate 0