E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Help diagnosing a strange pair of codes?

02-23-2019, 09:43 AM   #1
mvgrasso
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi

Question Help diagnosing a strange pair of codes?

Greetings guys and gals,

I've got a strange pairing of codes that I can't seem to find a fix for anywhere. The codes are:
  • VGSG 55C3 - AWD Limp home control activated. No DSC Specified nominal torque.
  • DSC 6DC7 - Steering Angle Sensor: Code DSC

Here's what I've done so far:
  • Tried turning the steering wheel all the way left then right and going for a short drive
  • Recoded Steering angle sensor using ISTA+ (turned wheel fully both directions, ISTA+ showed full motion in calibration, returned to 0 deg. with wheel)
  • Checked for telltale clicking noise from the transfer case to point to the actuator, no clicking at all.
  • Reregistering battery (just in case)

It should also be noted that none of my Brake, ABS, Traction control dash lights are on, HOWEVER, the Brake and 4x4 traction control CHECK CONTROL lights are both on.

I'm a bit of a newb, I've only been working on cars for a few years so I'm sure I'm missing something, but I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction here.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 10:23 AM   #2
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90 MT stage 1+

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 12:27 PM   #3
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvgrasso View Post
...The codes are:
  • VGSG 55C3 - AWD Limp home control activated. No DSC Specified nominal torque.
  • DSC 6DC7 - Steering Angle Sensor: Code DSC
...I'm a bit of a newb, I've only been working on cars for a few years so I'm sure I'm missing something, but I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction here.
Had any water in the passenger footwell recently perchance?

I use INPA, but do NOT have experience with ISTA. Since you have ISTA+, I would think you SHOULD be able to connect with (1) the VGSG (Transfer Case Module) and (2) the DSC DXC Module to get more specific information than what you have listed. The definitions of the two CC-IDs you have are (per Bentley):
CC-ID 24: 24 . Dynamic Stability Control DBC failure. Drive with care No additional brake support from DBC when emergency braking.
CC-ID 351: 351 Dynamic Stability Control 4x4 system and DSC failed Driving stability restricted

That's NOT very detailed, but it would appear that BOTH modules listed above are NOT functioning. A glance at the F20 (Fuse #20 in the JB fuse panel) fuse circuit shows that it powers BOTH the VGSG and DXC module electronics, so I would begin by checking that fuse & testing for power at the fuse socket with Remote Key in slot (Terminal 30g active), or with ignition on.

Here's the F20 circuit for build date 3/1/2007 to 9/2007; if you have an earlier build date (see plate/sticker on lower driver door frame) for your 2007 model, your fuse numbering & layout will differ:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...200703/kVtAuzb

Here's the circuit diagram for the VGSG:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...l-unit/are0bmn

TIS circuit diagrams are "Interactive" and if you click on the "A70006" component ID#, you can select other information about that component, such as "Installation Location":
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...r-box/2c7wBQeU

Particularly if you have had any water in the footwell, I would access the module A70006, remove its connectors (X10594 & X80003) and clean pins & sockets with Electronic Contact Cleaner, dry thoroughly, check F20 & F38, clear codes and see if they or Instrument Cluster warnings return. If your footwell is wet, post back and we can suggest causes.

Attached is a pdf containing links to E9x References such as TIS & Bentley pdf.

George
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Handy E9x References.pdf (217.1 KB, 388 views)
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2019, 05:40 PM   #4
mvgrasso
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi

Unhappy

gbalthrop,

When I checked fuse 20, I found a 10A fuse where the 5A was supposed to be, which probably wasn't helping my cause, replaced with a tested 5A fuse, no change after clearing faults, they came right back.

I went into ISTA and poked around in the DSC and VGS modules. I tested every ECU function there and everything looked fine, including the steering angle sensor, which was a relief but only added to my confusion. I also reset the VGS control unit and tested the servo motor (through ISTA) with no issues. Also tested ABS pump which worked fine. Though I did get a better listen to the transfer case from under the car and it sounded weird, though not the telltale "clicking", more of a tapering off dull click if that makes any sense.

I also have INPA so if that's what you're more experienced with, I can run it through that but I have no clue where to begin. As for the footwell module, I havent had any water near it. Could a damp footwell module cause issues like this in different modules?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 09:17 PM   #5
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
...As for the footwell module, I havent had any water near it. Could a damp footwell module cause issues like this in different modules?
Let's start over on the footwell & module. I was NOT referring to the FRM or "Footwell Module" as that controls the lights, and has NOTHING to do with your issues. I was referring to the VGSG or Transfer Case Module which is located on the front passenger floor in front of the seat as per this "Installation Location" for the VGSG module (A70006) that I linked in my previous post:

Water & ECU's or their connectors do NOT get along well, so THAT is why I was inquiring about water in the Passenger Footwell (where the VGSG is located ;-)

VGSG Module circuit diagram:
Connector X10594 Connector View:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...00703/CT71PcUn

BOTH the VGSG and DXC are on the Powertrain CAN bus, and have to communicate with each other via that bus. If there is a short or other issue in the bus wire at the VGSG, that can affect BOTH the VGSG and the DXC, so check for moisture or corrosion at the VGSG Connector X10594 per this schematic:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...-x8091/h2NshgZ

Please let us know what you find,
George
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2020, 10:14 PM   #6
TheeE90
Rep
Drives: BMW 335XI Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Quote:
...As for the footwell module, I havent had any water near it. Could a damp footwell module cause issues like this in different modules?
Let's start over on the footwell & module. I was NOT referring to the FRM or "Footwell Module" as that controls the lights, and has NOTHING to do with your issues. I was referring to the VGSG or Transfer Case Module which is located on the front passenger floor in front of the seat as per this "Installation Location" for the VGSG module (A70006) that I linked in my previous post:

Water & ECU's or their connectors do NOT get along well, so THAT is why I was inquiring about water in the Passenger Footwell (where the VGSG is located ;-)

VGSG Module circuit diagram:
Connector X10594 Connector View:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...00703/CT71PcUn

BOTH the VGSG and DXC are on the Powertrain CAN bus, and have to communicate with each other via that bus. If there is a short or other issue in the bus wire at the VGSG, that can affect BOTH the VGSG and the DXC, so check for moisture or corrosion at the VGSG Connector X10594 per this schematic:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...-x8091/h2NshgZ

Please let us know what you find,
George
I'm having the same exact issue with the same exact codes.. I've been trying to diagnose for months! And it's funny you talk about water in the passenger footwell area because I have a water leak in that exact area! This has to be the issue! ...and how'd you know?? Has this happened to you before?? But anyways gonna check it out right after work tomorrow and keep you guys posted.. keeping my fingers crossed 🤞
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 11:55 PM   #7
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheeE90 View Post
I'm having the same exact issue with the same exact codes..
That's what "they" (WHOEVER that is ;-) ALL say.

First, so we can all play along at home, let us know:

1) Build Month/Year & Engine of your 335xi E90, and if you want us to make SURE we provide you with the CORRECT wiring diagrams & Fuses to check, the Last-7 Characters of your VIN.

2) The exact Fault Codes you currently have, or last had, together with the Freeze Frame Data or Fault Details if your Scan Tool or Diagnostic Software can provide that information.

2a) IF by "same exact codes" you meant the CC-ID codes, confirm exactly WHICH CC-ID Codes you have, using "Check Control".

3) The make/model of Scan Tool you have OR the Name & Source of any Diagnostic Software such as INPA/ISTA.

4) Any Warning Lights appearing on the Instrument Cluster.

5) Any symptoms or issues with engine/vehicle performance and the conditions under which they occur.

6) If you have a Multimeter, and know how to measure Voltage & Resistance (Ohms/Continuity).

What I believe is essential to proper DIAGNOSIS of an issue is to NOT assume an issue someone is now having is the SAME, or has the SAME cause, as a similar issue in the past. So NO, I have NOT had any similar issue with my 328xi, but THAT is actually MORE of a benefit to PROPER Diagnosis. We won't ASSume anything.

George
Appreciate 1
Buug95917423.00
      08-30-2020, 12:47 PM   #8
TheeE90
Rep

Not sure what's soo funny.. but I wasn't assuming at all.. I understand there are many different variables that come in to play when trying to diagnose a problem or error code.. I'm actually HOPING that, that is the issue... maybe it's the way I worded it.. and I wasn't referring to the CC-ID codes.. I was referring to the codes from the scan tool "6DC7" and "55C3". I was asking how'd you know that water building up in the footwell could cause these codes and has it happened to you before.. that's all.. but like I said I'll let you guys know if that fixes my problem and how I fixed it. Only tryna help.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 07:23 PM   #9
TheeE90
Rep

Quote:
Not sure what's soo funny.. but I wasn't assuming at all.. I understand there are many different variables that come in to play when trying to diagnose a problem or error code.. I'm actually HOPING that, that is the issue... maybe it's the way I worded it.. and I wasn't referring to the CC-ID codes.. I was referring to the codes from the scan tool "6DC7" and "55C3". I was asking how'd you know that water building up in the footwell could cause these codes and has it happened to you before.. that's all.. but like I said I'll let you guys know if that fixes my problem and how I fixed it. Only tryna help.
I fixed the problem and got rid of the error codes last night.. all I had to do was recode the DSC using Ncs Expert.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 03:23 PM   #10
Thee90build93
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335xi

Quote:
I fixed the problem and got rid of the error codes last night.. all I had to do was recode the DSC using Ncs Expert.
Hey how’s it’s going!, I’m having the same issues can you direct me on how you coded it?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 03:45 PM   #11
brharkness
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi

Looking to get a copy of this documentation but newtis.info has been shut down. Any other place I can access the documentation?

2007 328xi build 06/07
Water soaked fuse panel behind glove box
Using Protool
Ccid 336, 77, 29, 141, 351, 419, 24, 167, 354

BimmerGeeks ProTool

Date: 01.09.21 12:27 PM

Vin: WBAVC73557KP35811
Chassis: E90
Model: 328xi
Engine: N51B30M1
Body Style: Sedan

****************** Errors ******************
--------------------------------------------
FAMILY [VARIANTE] | CODE: DESCRIPTION
--------------------------------------------

JBBF [JBBF87] | No errors found

EGS [GS1912] | 5817: signal fault, torque reduction from engine control

CAS [CAS] | No errors found

VGSG [VGSG90] | 54C6: Oil wear
VGSG [VGSG90] | 55C3: AWD limp-home control activated. No DSC specified nominal torque.

EKP [EKPM60_3] | No errors found

RDC [RDC_CAN] | No errors found

KLIMA [IHKA87] | No errors found

DME/DDE [MSV80] | 2A43: Valvetronic, thermal overload protection: warning threshold
DME/DDE [MSV80] | 2EEA: Temperature sensor cooler outlet, signal
DME/DDE [MSV80] | 2A41: Valvetronic, electrical overload protection
DME/DDE [MSV80] | 2F8F: Accelerator pedal module and brake pedal, plausibility

FAS [FAS_PLX] | No errors found

FRM [FRM_70] | No errors found

KOMBI [KOMB87] | No errors found

MOSTGW [RAD2_GW] | No errors found

TEL/MULF [TELE60_3] | No errors found

DSC [DXC_90] | No errors found

MRS [MRS5] | No errors found

VIRTSG92 [] | No errors found

MASK/CCC [RAD2] | No errors found

FZD [FZD_87] | A670: No description found
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 11:07 PM   #12
ewrjontan
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E36 M3 Porsche 987 Cayman

Sorry to bump this but I just got done replacing my valve cover gasket, eccentric shaft sensor, water pump and transfer case fluid in my 328i xdrive (n52). Did all the adaptations (transfer case as well as valvetronic motor) and everything is good except for these two codes. Car was fine other than some valvetronic issues which are gone now. I cleared both of these codes and the steering angle code did. It come back. However, the transfer case code is still present. Do I just need to drive the car perhaps? The car has been sitting for weeks since I was doing all of this maintenance. Any ideas? Thanks.
Appreciate 0