E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 4949 Glow System config

06-27-2017, 10:49 AM   #1
ChawenHalo
Second Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: E91 330d XDrive LCI M Pack

4949 Glow System config

Hello chaps (and Gals).

I don't know whether I'm just being french here I can't for the life of find the frigging code 4949 Glow Sytem Config. (2 different machines to read it). I've looked at every DTC code and just can't find any info.

It an E91 LCI 330D XDrive (2010 prod). Its rough just after start up (yes like misfiring/ missing a couple of pots) and clear quickly after that. So far I've cleaned (or rather got someone) to clean EGR valve and intake (it uses a fair bit less fuel now)? got glow plugs and controller changed. Result = peanuts.

Error code 4949 won't go away. Any clues? If someone could explain to me whqt it is / how to read it, I'd be grateful.

Trip to the ever so competent helful BMW deadlers for a sofware update necessary?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 04:23 PM   #2
best
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 330d m sport

Hello, i have 330d m sport wif same problem,replaced all glow plugs and controller
and have fault 4949, local bmw garage havent a clue either
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 02:46 AM   #3
ChawenHalo
Second Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: E91 330d XDrive LCI M Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by best View Post
Hello, i have 330d m sport wif same problem,replaced all glow plugs and controller
and have fault 4949, local bmw garage havent a clue either
Hello Fella.

New post with more détails:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1400648

BMW technician told me after plugging in and doing full software update that all this code indicated was that the piece of hardware (ie: the preheating control unit) was defective and needed to be changed. I highly doubt that the piece is deffective though as its brand new and has been changed. Either way, they will replace it Under warranty and I'll go from there regarding this particular fault code.

Food for though it could of course be Something else. I had NGK glow plugs installed which are BMW spec (and supperior) whilst I think the dealership uses either BERU or BOSH. The Preheating Control Unit is BERU. Maybe it prefers to speak to its own? It could also be Something else such as wiring, plugs not well connected to wires etc.

After the sofware update, my rough idle issue is somewhat more frequent but less pronounced. Its highlighted that sometimes from cold pick up and response are not as good as when warm and show some hole in torque delivery and hesitance. I must say I am starting to lean towards what BMW say and that 1 or more injectors are at fault.

I did not go that route simply because the car has low mileage (135000 km) and has only ever done long journeys. However classic symptoms of a bad injector (smoke, poor on throttle response/ performance can be offset by the fact that there is a very efficient DPF and other injectors will compensate). Lastly the EGR and intake manifold were filthy. Along with the smell of diesel after start up from the exhaust indicates that it is overfuelling and that combustion is not what it should be in those circumstances.

Nonetheless current fuel consumption (10% town; 75 motorway, 15% B Roads) varies between 6.9L to 7.4L / 100 km ie: 41 to 38 MPG. Considering its XDrive it seems to be OK. BMW Tech also gave me a printed report on DPF which was perfectly fine with regular regeneration and no blockage.

So the car does not seem to suffer badly from it. However as the car is second hand I want to get it sorted as preventative maintenance.

The BMW tech told me to leave the car with them for a few days so that they can start it from cold and already plugged into their testing bench. I will do this begginning of next month probably and duly report back.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2023, 02:23 PM   #4
ordos
Registered
Rep
Drives: e91 LCI 325d

Hello,

Have you managed to solve the issue?

I have the same 4949 error code.

Changed glow plugs(NGK 95015) and glow plug controller (Beru GSE108), but 4949 error still there

Last edited by ordos; 11-25-2023 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 08:47 AM   #5
denkorch
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 LCI 330d xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ordos View Post
Hello,

Have you managed to solve the issue?

I have the same 4949 error code.

Changed glow plugs(NGK 95015) and glow plug controller (Beru GSE108), but 4949 error still there
Hi,

have you been able to find a solution ever since?

I have just replaced all six glow plugs and the control module on my N57 with Beru GN1000 and GSE108 respectively. Also, I cleaned the intake manifold.
As a result, rough idle is gone, the engine runs perfectly, but the only annoying thing that still persists is the 4949 Glow system configuration.

I am just not in the position to experiment with swapping control modules, especially taking into account that there're no apparent issues with the car whatsoever. But this 4949 error just won't leave my head. And there's to little records about this code in the web either.

So, any advice would be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0