E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Europe (Continental) > RTTI - US Spec - Working/not working?

03-04-2014, 07:13 AM   #23
MSport_Jon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 LCI /// F80 M3 (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellthebeans View Post
reviving an old thread.

The answers to the question you or other SOFA members may ask WRT radio traffic information can be found here

http://www.car-coding.de/
Tried contacting that guy once or twice and i got bad feeling about it.... fortunately i found a professional coder that can enable your BMW to work in Europe for TMC and TP... TMC is not RTTI. RTTI stands for Real Time Traffic Info that allows data collection from the vehicle back to BMW for traffic analysis.... TMC does not and it depends on user reporting accidents, debris, traffic jams back to radio stations... and radio stations pushing the info down via radio to vehicles...

TMC is more for the OLD CCC i Drive whereas the new RTTI is more for the CIC units... they both work well and they can save you from traffic jam headaches. It has saved me multiple times coming back from Italy trough Switzerland....

But if you have a CCC idrive and want TMC and TP enabled in your vehicle, then i can vouch that it can be done via coding.... my friend has a US 2012 550i with Navi and he got his coded to work with RTTI here in Germany and it works way better than the old CCC idrive...
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 09:19 AM   #24
MSport_Jon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 LCI /// F80 M3 (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpbmw3 View Post
hi all

i drive a 2008 335xi. RTTI does not work in Holland but when i drive across the border to germany then it does work.

i am told RTTI (also called TMC here) depends on radio frequencies. US spec cars only received odd decimals (eg. 101.1 but not 101.2). in holland, TMC is transmitted mostly at odd decimal frequencies, hence it does not work correctly. Moreover, i miss a bunch of radio stations.

I've looked all over the country and the internet for a way to convert the radio to euro spec but it seems impossible to do. even with a new CCC unit i am not convinced yet that it will work

Does anyone have further technical insights or suggestions how to solve for this?
OK... so here is the scoop on RTTI... RTTI uses the BMW Telematics and built in GSM Modules to connect and pulls information... it only works on the host country that the BMW vehicle was design for... once you fall outside the RTTI telematics home the it falls back to TMC which is slower and updates take some time to take place... however, TMC is better than nothing at all... especially if you are trav eling from Italy back to Germany and you are stuck in traffic because your Navi is unable to pick up anything and use its Dynamic routing feature... (I have been saved Twice by TMC)...
Appreciate 0