E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Manual VS Auto Poll

View Poll Results: What do you drive? Manual - Auto
Manual 510 56.92%
Automatic 386 43.08%
Voters: 896. You may not vote on this poll

09-19-2011, 03:05 PM   #89
witeagle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 14 BMW Z4 2.8i * 10 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
It would be helpful if someone would explain why an MT gives more control.

CA

two things I can think of -

1) you can jump multiple gears 3rd to 5th or downshift from 6th to 4th etc.
2) put into 2nd gear and feather the clutch to get unstuck on snow/ice.
      09-19-2011, 03:07 PM   #90
T Rex84
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaco View Post
Based on these poll results finding a manual 335 should have been a lot easier.
Seriously. It took me almost a year to find a manual 335 in my area.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 03:24 PM   #91
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Does the 335 6MT still allow the "suicide shift" like the older ones did? A number of people I knew with E36 M3's blew up their motors doing that little oops...
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 03:25 PM   #92
Peertwelve
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Silverstone E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [3.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Rex84 View Post
Seriously. It took me almost a year to find a manual 335 in my area.
Yup me too. So either this poll is biased or nobody gets rid of their manual transmission cars

Sold- 2011 335i Sedan | 6MT | Wavetrac | Eibach Pro | CDV delete | Cobb | BSW
Sudden death - 1970 BMW 2002
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 03:26 PM   #93
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
It would be helpful if someone would explain why they feel s more control since there seem to be some here with limited MT experience.

I personally do not feel that an MT gives more control than a DCT or even some modern "traditional" ATs.
"Harder to learn", "Requires more skill" and "More engaging" and "more fun" and "I like it better" do not necessarily equate to "more control".

CA
I know you are an authority. When I hit my gas pedal hard there is a hesitation while the trans shifts down to what it thinks is an appropriate gear. When I'm in a manual trans I usually have the reves up higher and am better prepared for more instant accel. Having said that it just takes more use of the paddles to be in the same situation. I think MT gives far more control than steptronic (lethargic shifts and can get confused) but probably less than a good dct or pdk. Im trying to get rid of this step and get a manual because its got a mind of its own.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 03:31 PM   #94
Edward
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013.9999 E92 Jerez ZCP

For modern cars:

DCT > MT > SMG > AUTO

The DCT took away the fuel efficiency advantage that MT had over traditional autos with a tq converter. It outperforms in every measurable way, however it isn't as involved, and some prefer to work more for the drive. Can't knock that. I'm more for techy stuff so DCT wins for me. I can drive a manual just fine but I wouldn't be buying manual if a dual clutch were available. The only car I could see myself actually getting in 6MT is the GT3/RS. Or of course any 993.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 03:35 PM   #95
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
DCT is analogous to AT..both are a shortcut to thinking

Third pedal puts you as one w the car..may not be faster..but imo def more challenging and fun
, plus it looks cooler.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 03:43 PM   #96
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by witeagle View Post
Two things I can think of

1) you can jump multiple gears 3rd to 5th or downshift from 6th to 4th etc.
2) put into 2nd gear and feather the clutch to get unstuck on snow/ice.
`

1. I never jump multiple gears with an MT. I can't do it on the track cars (sequential gearbox) and I never do it with a conventional H pattern MT. If I am going from 5th to 3rd I always go through 4th. With paddles (you can go from 5th to 3rd very quickly by hitting the paddles twice. If the transmission does go through 4th on the way to 3rd it does it very quickly and smoothly.

2. I don't take the car out when there is snow and ice but that is a valid point and a proven snow and ice driving technique. It would not, however, be a factor that would influence my transmission choice. Even in my years of driving with MTs in New England and in Upstate New York winteres there were probably less than 3 occaissions where I had to feather the clutch to get unstuck.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England

Last edited by captainaudio; 09-19-2011 at 04:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 03:47 PM   #97
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
For modern cars:

DCT > MT > SMG > AUTO

The DCT took away the fuel efficiency advantage that MT had over traditional autos with a tq converter. It outperforms in every measurable way, however it isn't as involved, and some prefer to work more for the drive. Can't knock that. I'm more for techy stuff so DCT wins for me. I can drive a manual just fine but I wouldn't be buying manual if a dual clutch were available. The only car I could see myself actually getting in 6MT is the GT3/RS. Or of course any 993.
As has been pointed out here many times the torque converter is locked up by a clutch mechnaism as soon as the car get moving, does not participate in the gear shifting process and has negligable effect on fuel economy.

When I was at the BMW M-Power tour last year someone asked one of the BMW people how the DCT compared to the SMG. Their answer was "The SMG was crap"

I agree.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England

Last edited by captainaudio; 09-19-2011 at 03:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 03:52 PM   #98
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
It would be helpful if someone would explain why they feel an MT gives them more control since there seem to be some here with limited MT experience.
CA
Some have stated than an MT in snow conditions for example allows better control b/c of the abilty to feather the clutch and "ease" power to the wheels..Being an MT driver my entire adult life I can definitly second this.

The engagement of the clutch to limit or put down power by definition provides better control of torque/power to wheels..ofcourse at the expense of the clutch itself..ATs in all their forms do not have that advantage
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 03:53 PM   #99
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaker View Post
I know you are an authority. When I hit my gas pedal hard there is a hesitation while the trans shifts down to what it thinks is an appropriate gear. When I'm in a manual trans I usually have the reves up higher and am better prepared for more instant accel. Having said that it just takes more use of the paddles to be in the same situation. I think MT gives far more control than steptronic (lethargic shifts and can get confused) but probably less than a good dct or pdk. Im trying to get rid of this step and get a manual because its got a mind of its own.
Well certainly an MT will give more control over a Step a DCT or an SMG when those transmission are in fully automatic mode.

CA

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 04:08 PM   #100
Edward
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013.9999 E92 Jerez ZCP

Quote:
As has been pointed out here many times the torque converter is locked up by a clutch mechnaism as soon as the car get moving, does not participate in the gear shifting process and has negligable effect on fuel economy.

When I was at the BMW M-Power tour last year someone asked one of the BMW people how the DCT compared to the SMG. Their answer was "The SMG was crap"

I agree.

CA
yea I guess gone are the days where the AT got worse mileage. I think even as recent as the E46 lineup, the manual got better listed mileage.

yes. SMG is garbage by today's standards. In 1997, a similar sequential gearbox like one found in the 355 F1 was pretty sick. Today? not so much. The SMG in the E46 M3 feels like the software is programmed to specifically mimic a very poorly skilled driver's shifts - even more so in auto mode.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 04:35 PM   #101
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

An MT advantage that I made use of on many occaisions is the ability to jump start a car with a dead battery by getting it rolling and "popping" the clutch.

Can this be done on a current MT BMW?

CA

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 05:21 PM   #102
mundo74
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10M5

Manual. Only had manuals in the past also but im at the end of that run. My next car will be a DCT. Nothing against manuals but the automatics and automated transmissions have come a looooong way in the past 10 yrs
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 05:23 PM   #103
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Quote:
An MT advantage that I made use of on many occaisions is the ability to jump start a car with a dead battery by getting it rolling and "popping" the clutch.

CA
not since the advent of computerization! None of the electronics, including motor electronics, would be working.

I used to do that with my VW bugs on occasion. And I got home one night on my bike after a busted clutch cable, by clutchless shifting, timing lights, and doing one running bump start downhill in high gear when I got hung up. That was hairy!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 05:33 PM   #104
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromisdesigns View Post
Quote:

CA
not since the advent of computerization! None of the electronics, including motor electronics, would be working.

I used to do that with my VW bugs on occasion. And I got home one night on my bike after a busted clutch cable, by clutchless shifting, timing lights, and doing one running bump start downhill in high gear when I got hung up. That was hairy!
I jump started my 92 Lexus SC300 that way when the battery died.

CA

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 05:53 PM   #105
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE

I'm just curious for all the "MT for life" people: If offered the choice between a dual clutch Lambo Aventador or conventional MT Porsche GT3 RS 4.0, what would you take and why?

Try to see past price and power, just consider the principle of the argument.

What car would make you switch to dual clutch only tech?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 06:29 PM   #106
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FwdFtl View Post
I'm just curious for all the "MT for life" people: If offered the choice between a dual clutch Lambo Aventador or conventional MT Porsche GT3 RS 4.0, what would you take and why?

Try to see past price and power, just consider the principle of the argument.

What car would make you switch to dual clutch only tech?
I am by no means an "MT for Life" person but I would take the Porsche over the Lambo.

At this point the Mclaren MP4-12C (which comes with a DCT) would be my choice of supercars. I know that Lamborghini has made some very high performance cars but they have never appealed to me and probably never will. I consider them the ultimate all image no content poseurmobile. As far as I am concerned Senor Lamborghini should have stayed with tractors.

Q. What is the worlds' shortest book,

A, Famous Lamborghini race drivers.

CA

Last edited by captainaudio; 09-19-2011 at 06:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 06:41 PM   #107
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:

Q. What is the worlds' shortest book,

A, Famous Lamborghini race drivers.

CA
ouch.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 07:24 PM   #108
z335ixp09
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 WRX Hatch

Modern automatics, be it DCT/SMG/Steptronic, have technically outperformed manuals in a lot of ways. The only thing autos can't provide is ultimate driver enjoyment specially with the ultimate driving machine. With manuals, the driver is always engaged with the car. For me, driving is still a chore I enjoy a lot and chose to maintain it that way.

I was driving from New Jersey to JFK Airport with lots of stop and go traffic. To my surprise, it wasn't my left knee/leg that got numb from being "overused", it was my right knee/leg. I guess both will get numb from heavy traffic if I had an auto. ;-)
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 07:39 PM   #109
J02 335i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by z335ixp09 View Post
Modern automatics, be it DCT/SMG/Steptronic, have technically outperformed manuals in a lot of ways. The only thing autos can't provide is ultimate driver enjoyment specially with the ultimate driving machine. With manuals, the driver is always engaged with the car. For me, driving is still a chore I enjoy a lot and chose to maintain it that way.

I was driving from New Jersey to JFK Airport with lots of stop and go traffic. To my surprise, it wasn't my left knee/leg that got numb from being "overused", it was my right knee/leg. I guess both will get numb from heavy traffic if I had an auto. ;-)
I'm really not trying to keep this thread going but, why would both knees go numb with an auto? Do you brake with your left foot/leg?

Sport pack, JB3, Dci, factory oil cooler, 18" M3 reps, Michelin PSS, painted trim, black grills, smoked side markers, LED plate lights, H&R coils, Borla catback
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 07:48 PM   #110
MZHammer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E85 Z4M, F82 M4

Garage List
2016 M4  [0.00]
2006 BMW Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
+1