E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Bad top mount bearing?

08-04-2022, 04:08 AM   #1
MattiasRing
Rep
Drives: Bmw e91

Garage List
Bad top mount bearing?

Hi,

I have the typical issues from bad top mount bearing when you hear clunking noise from the front end when going over rough roads.

Now to the questions:

When reversing I can hear a clunking noise that sounds different from the other one and can only be heard once when breaking in reverse, to hear the noise again you must first change direction. (I am guessing this can also be the worn top mounts but they are shifting in a forward/backwards manner?)

The second question is that since I run coilovers on the car would oem/stock parts fit the coilovers? Or would I need coilover specific parts? That being the top mounts.

Bmw e91 2009
Ap racing coilovers

All help is appreciated!
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 07:09 AM   #2
KhaosKid
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: ‘11 323i when it works

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiasRing View Post
Hi,

I have the typical issues from bad top mount bearing when you hear clunking noise from the front end when going over rough roads.

Now to the questions:

When reversing I can hear a clunking noise that sounds different from the other one and can only be heard once when breaking in reverse, to hear the noise again you must first change direction. (I am guessing this can also be the worn top mounts but they are shifting in a forward/backwards manner?)

The second question is that since I run coilovers on the car would oem/stock parts fit the coilovers? Or would I need coilover specific parts? That being the top mounts.

Bmw e91 2009
Ap racing coilovers

All help is appreciated!
Thanks.
I believe the problem you are describing is related to worn front lower control arms. The thrust arm to be specific. Which is the front lower control arm that connects to the subframe closer to the front of the vehicle. When that bushing on the subframe wears out, it allows the entire wheel assembly to shift forward when you brake. And then when you reverse, and brake, the wheel assembly would shift in the other direction.

So, have you ever replaced those control arms before, if not, i'd almost guarantee that bushing is shot.

As for the top mount bearing. If that is bad, i think you would have less smooth steering (hard to notice because of power steering). Or, popping / creaking occasionally when turning the wheel when moving at slow speeds.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 06:33 AM   #3
MattiasRing
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaosKid View Post
Quote:
Hi,

Now to the questions:

Bmw e91 2009
Ap racing coilovers

All help is appreciated!
Thanks.
I believe the problem you are describing is related to worn front lower control arms. The thrust arm to be specific. Which is the front lower control arm that connects to the subframe closer to the front of the vehicle. When that bushing on the subframe wears out, it allows the entire wheel assembly to shift forward when you brake. And then when you reverse, and brake, the wheel assembly would shift in the other direction.

So, have you ever replaced those control arms before, if not, i'd almost guarantee that bushing is shot.

As for the top mount bearing. If that is bad, i think you would have less smooth steering (hard to notice because of power steering). Or, popping / creaking occasionally when turning the wheel when moving at slow speeds.
Hi, thanks for the reply, yes I have replaced all the front lower control arms in the front end due to bad bushings about a month ago, my thought could have been that the auto shop forgot to torque on of the bolts but I checked all of them and they seemed fine.

Another really weird thing that one of my friends noticed once when I was breaking to a stop was that the front wheels seemed to hop/skip and move in a very unusual way. Thats why I initially replaced the bushings and control arms. This issue still exists with replaced bushings, I can also feel a lot of vibration when breaking softly and in high speeds. Thought this was warped rotors but changed all of them and the issue of vibration is still there. I also wire brushed off all the rust behind the rotors etc.

Any other thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 07:17 AM   #4
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
Hi,

Now to the questions:

Bmw e91 2009
Ap racing coilovers

All help is appreciated!
Thanks.
Pretty sure the reverse clunk is your rear brake pads shifting in the carriers. Nothing to worry about, and can be remedied by using OE pads.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 08:52 AM   #5
MattiasRing
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
Quote:
Hi,

Now to the questions:

Bmw e91 2009
Ap racing coilovers

All help is appreciated!
Thanks.
Pretty sure the reverse clunk is your rear brake pads shifting in the carriers. Nothing to worry about, and can be remedied by using OE pads.
Hi,

Yes I read this somewhere as well but I thought that it might have been linked to the vibrations as well. I will look into the front top mounts and see what that resolves, The only thing is that I have never heard that bad top mounts creates vibrations in the steering wheel/seat/car.

I do run brembo brake pads and rotors and would think that those would be made closely to spec.

Thanks for the input!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 06:22 PM   #6
KhaosKid
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: ‘11 323i when it works

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi,

Now to the questions:

Bmw e91 2009
Ap racing coilovers

All help is appreciated!
Thanks.

Hi, thanks for the reply, yes I have replaced all the front lower control arms in the front end due to bad bushings about a month ago, my thought could have been that the auto shop forgot to torque on of the bolts but I checked all of them and they seemed fine.

Another really weird thing that one of my friends noticed once when I was breaking to a stop was that the front wheels seemed to hop/skip and move in a very unusual way. Thats why I initially replaced the bushings and control arms. This issue still exists with replaced bushings, I can also feel a lot of vibration when breaking softly and in high speeds. Thought this was warped rotors but changed all of them and the issue of vibration is still there. I also wire brushed off all the rust behind the rotors etc.

Any other thoughts?
Umm… are your shocks too strong/ too much damping compared to your springs? Are you on OEM suspension?

Im not sure why your car does that upon braking. Could be the tires if they are not balanced or just worn out. Could be a bunch of things though tbh. Unevenly worn tires or just cheap tire, or even tires that had fix a flat used on them in the past can cause that. Also, wheel balance weight could have fallen off.

If you feel the shaking in the steering wheel it's coming from the front tires or front axles area. If you feel it in your butt its the rear tires. Also, a bad alignment can also cause this phenomena of shaking upon hard or moderate braking at certain speeds. If the car isn't aligned properly and there's a side to side variation in camber or toe.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2022, 06:35 AM   #7
MattiasRing
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi,

Now to the questions:

Bmw e91 2009
Ap racing coilovers

All help is appreciated!
Thanks.

Any other thoughts?
Umm… are your shocks too strong/ too much damping compared to your springs? Are you on OEM suspension?

Im not sure why your car does that upon braking. Could be the tires if they are not balanced or just worn out. Could be a bunch of things though tbh. Unevenly worn tires or just cheap tire, or even tires that had fix a flat used on them in the past can cause that. Also, wheel balance weight could have fallen off.

If you feel the shaking in the steering wheel it's coming from the front tires or front axles area. If you feel it in your butt its the rear tires. Also, a bad alignment can also cause this phenomena of shaking upon hard or moderate braking at certain speeds. If the car isn't aligned properly and there's a side to side variation in camber or toe.
Hi,

Newly changed tires to falken azenis fk510s all around and balanced correctly, the shake was there before and after.

I am on coilovers so not oem springs. Could the shaking be a result of bad top mounts on the coilovers? Since there is play in the bearing that is what causes the shake?
Appreciate 0