E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > E91 rear control arm ball joint loose in knuckle...

08-29-2022, 08:42 AM   #1
Mbjason86
Rep
Drives: E91 2007 330d M57

E91 rear control arm ball joint loose in knuckle...

I recently discovered play in the rear wishbone ball joints (the ones pressed into the knuckle) so set about replacing them yesterday.

I used a specific bush tool for this car and pushed out the first side. I've gone to put the new one in (Lemforder) and it has pushed straight through, I can push it through by hand, it's not miles out but I definitely cant fit it like that.

Lemforder list the outer diameter as 47.2mm so I've ordered a set of febi bilstein versions instead which are listed as 47.3mm and I've also ordered some loctite 648 press in retaining compound to help.

Anyone had a similar issue?

I've found another person with the same issue that they managed to solve by fitting some random brand of balljoint I cannot get in the UK which lists their outer diameter as 47.5 mm.

Does anyone think a reasonable fit with the loctite will hold or shall I just try and source a new/used knuckle and hope it's better? The ball joints were original factory and car is at 138k miles.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 03:00 AM   #2
jacbo
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d LCI

How did it feel getting old ones out? Was it a tight fit in there?

I replaced my original units with febi which were a nice tight fit so hopefully that will be an easy fix for you.

If those are still way too loose i personally wouldn't want to run them like that as they will just wear the hole in the knuckle even more i would imagine?

have you got a set of verniers to measure the lemforder diameter? might be worth checking if it's a manufacturing defect on their side.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 04:04 AM   #3
Mbjason86
Rep

They felt alright coming out, I'm a bicycle mechanic so I'm used to pressfit parts going in and out (there's a lot of pressfit parts used on bicycles) and nothing felt untoward.

The old ones were a little corroded but nothing more than any of the DIY videos I watched on YouTube prior to doing the deed. I bought 2 Lemforder ball joints at the same time and both are the same (although it could be a bad batch)

I've got Verniers and the hole is the exact size of the new bush, so a perfect smooth fit, just not enough to hold it in place.

I've got the febi ones on order so hopefully it'll be good! I don't fancy the price of a new knuckle!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 02:26 PM   #4
Andystobbs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E91 Lci, Vectra B V6

Beat the hole up with a centre punch if they are still not a snug fit
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 02:39 PM   #5
Mbjason86
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andystobbs View Post
Beat the hole up with a centre punch if they are still not a snug fit
I like it. Definitely cheaper than a new knuckle. Are you suggesting roughening the bore up with a centre punch in a few places or to literally beat the knuckle so that it squashes the hole a little so it holds?

Edit: now I've actually thought about it I'm pretty sure I know what you mean now. Centre punch around the hole to deform the hole.

Last edited by Mbjason86; 08-30-2022 at 02:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 10:34 PM   #6
rararat4
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i

I am in the process of replacing the ball joints on my 2009 328i so it is LCI E90. I believe I bought the same Lemforder part you are talking about, Cross No. 33326792553. realoem.com says your car takes the same bushing as mine, though I do not know what your car is exactly so I may be wrong. The measurement on one of the bushings I received is 47.3 mm, same measurement as on the one I took out, though the contact surface on the original one was a bit more rough than on the new one. Of course, the old one was original BMW and the new one is Lemforder OE. I installed it today. It went in more or less as hard as the one I took out.

Personally, if I were you I would first send the old one back, check that it is the right one for the car, and try again. If not, if you think something funny is going on, just get one from BMW. I know it is a rip-off but it will work, or it should. Cheers, do post what you end up doing with this conundrum.

OK, you bought febi. Hope that works.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 01:36 AM   #7
Andystobbs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E91 Lci, Vectra B V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbjason86 View Post
I like it. Definitely cheaper than a new knuckle. Are you suggesting roughening the bore up with a centre punch in a few places or to literally beat the knuckle so that it squashes the hole a little so it holds?

Edit: now I've actually thought about it I'm pretty sure I know what you mean now. Centre punch around the hole to deform the hole.
Either/or. Using the centre punch inside the bore will raise little burrs and tighten the fit. Using the centre punch on the face around the periphery of the hole will lock the bush in after fitting.
Its a very common field repair method.

If you're in the UK I have some spare 4cyl rear hubs with newish bushes already installed and modified brake discs to give the bigger rear brake disc set up of the 6 cyl cars.
You could just run normal brakes but they have the bigger backing plates fitted. Bearings are like new too.
PM if you get stuck.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 02:44 AM   #8
Mbjason86
Rep

Mines a pre LCI (2007) e91 330d. I am in the UK.

Mine does take the same part number as yours rararat4. My Lemforder parts measure at 47.2 mm, sending them back isn't worth it as I bought them from Autodoc and the postage back to somewhere is Germany isn't going to be cheap, whereas the bushes were (I paid about £12 each for them).

I'll try the febi ones first (I bought them from a UK shop with easy returns so if they don't fit I can take these ones back at least) them I'll go to Cotswold BMW (my local) and get some proper ones. At least one of them with some gentle help with a punch should have me sorted (I hope).

I'll be having a crack at it on Saturday and update with what happens. Thanks all for the advice so far!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2022, 07:49 AM   #9
Mbjason86
Rep

Hi all,

Quick update, royal mail strikes meant the Febi parts didn't arrive in time. They've just arrived (Monday) and after a measure the Lemforder ones measure at 47.25mm, and the febi ones measure at 47.35mm.

I'm very hopeful!

We'll see
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 08:40 AM   #10
Mbjason86
Rep

Hi,

So an ending to the story (for anyone who has the same issue in the future) I used the febi parts, they required pressing in with a tool rather than by hand like the lemforders.

I used loctite 648 and I used a centre punch to lock it in 4 places (belt and braces). I've just managed to get out for a proper test drive and it's held perfectly, my car's not felt this good in a while! Even though they alignment is now well out! Alignment booked for next Tuesday (the earliest I can get out to get it done).

No more driving my wife's Suzuki SX4 to work! Hurray! Although the benefit of driving an under powered small SUV for a month now makes my 330d non sports (se) car feel soooo low and sooo powerful! 😂
Appreciate 1
jacbo78.50
      09-20-2022, 12:10 PM   #11
Maxmax73
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

At some point I discovered that Meily, I think it was, that had an extremely loose fit into the knuckle. Got another brand, and it was a press fit, which is important to have when installing those. Locking with a punch isn't the proper or safe way /method. If anything, retaining fluid should be used.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 12:20 PM   #12
Mbjason86
Rep

It didn't need the punch, I just did it to make myself feel better.

Alignment attempted today, toe arm eccentric bolt seized to bush.... It's easy to forget these cars are getting old now!

Sooo now doing all of the remaining arms and bushes in the rear, all new bolts, nuts, arms, bushes, the lot. The rubbers feel absolutely fine in most of them but Lemforder arms are so cheap I might as well while I'm there.

My wife is questioning whether a new (to me) car would be better, I've said no.
Appreciate 1
jacbo78.50