E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing > youtube / adblock / firefox ***resolved***

11-14-2023, 01:12 PM   #23
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
I have the same O/S and browser (my twin! haha) and don't have that prb (knock wood). Something's off.

I suspect those damn Chrome updates (I've had like 3 in 2 weeks? something ridiculous like that) aren't for 'security' but they're just trying to circumvent uBlock/etc. Screw them and their lousy ads.
Usually I'm a very fair person, but I remember when YouTube was free, and that's how I'm going to keep it. Bet.
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2023, 01:17 PM   #24
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
Usually I'm a very fair person, but I remember when YouTube was free, and that's how I'm going to keep it. Bet.
Ya, I'm used to the 'ad-free' exp from the get-go, so it's weird to have to wait there for x secs when I just want to get to the video.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13862.50
      11-14-2023, 01:25 PM   #25
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Ya, I'm used to the 'ad-free' exp from the get-go, so it's weird to have to wait there for x secs when I just want to get to the video.
In my mind the site itself is an ad, not a service, with so many of the channels creating free content for YouTube to use as they wish. No way I'm going to pay for it, and try as they might, I'll always find a way around it.
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2023, 01:52 PM   #26
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
In my mind the site itself is an ad, not a service, with so many of the channels creating free content for YouTube to use as they wish. No way I'm going to pay for it, and try as they might, I'll always find a way around it.
That's an interesting way to look at it. I mean, for sure it's one big, huge ad machine, but, ofc, there are lots of useful info in there too. Google is already too invasive, so anything we can do to limit its power, I'm all-onboard.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 01:58 PM   #27
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
That's an interesting way to look at it. I mean, for sure it's one big, huge ad machine, but, ofc, there are lots of useful info in there too. Google is already too invasive, so anything we can do to limit its power, I'm all-onboard.
It's probably just my rose colored glasses.

I hate ads/commercials anyway, and it positively infuriates me that TV commercials are allowed to bump their volume and brightness over the films, but it is what it is. I mute them every time.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 11:59 AM   #28
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 230 2020 vert F23

yes and this is the point, I'm a content creator, (I'm not monitized) so I dont get paid, yet my content draws people to site which I am not paid for.
(500 odd subscribers) my most viewed video was 92k

ALSO even if people PAY for premium I WONT GET ANY MONEY

and people who are monetized are saying THEY cant see any benfit to them SOOOO
where is the money going to ?
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13862.50
      11-15-2023, 12:00 PM   #29
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

If I could tailor the adds, or get one short add or skip an add, that would be one thing.
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13862.50
      11-15-2023, 02:43 PM   #30
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nazali View Post
where is the money going to ?
Electricity, bandwidth, disk storage, processor power, cooling, data center taxes, support staff, health benefits, that neat adult ball pit in every Google office building, etc.....
      11-15-2023, 03:53 PM   #31
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

No sir, that is what they were and already getting from youtube.
when it was free and ad-free

youtube was working for free.... really... I dont think so...

what is youtube premium going to, that money previously was NOT already going to. they run a business, they are now taking money for something... whats it going to

YOU know the answer and it's not the content creators that is what all that crap youtube is showing on there ads, going to "content creators"
you tube has over heads, they are a business and get FREE MONEY and TAX BENEFITS

For example.... I am a contractor, anything I buy for the business or do for the business I get a tax break on, when I charge HST at 13% I ACTUALLY pay something like 8% to the CRA, I keep the rest

so a multi-milltion $$$ business is taking money investing it and getting tax breaks

They have ALL our data and are selling it.

That's my problem, when the give money to charity they get a tax break.

Honestly I don't mind targeted advertising, BMW, computers etc
I dont want Sh*T about fooking cannabis (a gateway drug) I don't want crappy PSA's

I pay for Netflix, I dont get a single ad
I have prime and I usually get 1 ad before a show starts, but then I have 2 or 3 hours

I think on episodes I dont (can't remember)

I'm not paying $13 bucks so I cant see adverts (which is all your getting) and for the money NOT to go to content creators.

I may do, if they say, choose which content creators you wish to see benefit from a % of your payment.. "fine"

$13bucks is batshit crazy

For a TRILLION $ company like google, is like you giving a few $'s to Africa to help them stop hunger. It's nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Electricity, bandwidth, disk storage, processor power, cooling, data center taxes, support staff, health benefits, that neat adult ball pit in every Google office building, etc.....
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 05:50 PM   #32
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Hang on. If YT was free and ad-free, how does it make money? What are they selling? Just that browser ID x37629374yb34 likes videos about cats, cars, and occasionally woodworking? I'm not surprised they're pushing to deliver more ads if that's the case!
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615280.00
      11-16-2023, 07:11 AM   #33
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

It makes money and has always made money (like 1000's of other "Free" services) by DATA MINING

The moment somone say's you can have it for "free" they are tracking you, your location, shopping habbits, eating habits, buying habbits

What % of the population does this ? How many women do that ? how many asian people eat at "xyz"

Hello, do you have cookies enabled ? Do you post what you like to eat on facebook, do you have places you follow, twitter insta, youtbe

ALL DATA MINING that is gold dust.

Every video you or anyone else clicks on even anonymously tells yourtube something, 32k people clicked on cat vids 100k clicked on pro biden vids 150 clicked on trump vids
More people are interested in cat videos than the presidential election ! ?

dont think there is not something out there that isnt being tracked

Your mobile phone.... your car....,
How do you think google maps does traffic stats YOUR PHONE (amongst other things)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
Hang on. If YT was free and ad-free, how does it make money? What are they selling? Just that browser ID x37629374yb34 likes videos about cats, cars, and occasionally woodworking? I'm not surprised they're pushing to deliver more ads if that's the case!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 07:15 AM   #34
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

So many ways YT makes money, even on their video suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 07:16 AM   #35
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 09:23 AM   #36
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazali View Post
It makes money and has always made money (like 1000's of other "Free" services) by DATA MINING

The moment somone say's you can have it for "free" they are tracking you, your location, shopping habbits, eating habits, buying habbits

What % of the population does this ? How many women do that ? how many asian people eat at "xyz"

Hello, do you have cookies enabled ? Do you post what you like to eat on facebook, do you have places you follow, twitter insta, youtbe

ALL DATA MINING that is gold dust.

Every video you or anyone else clicks on even anonymously tells yourtube something, 32k people clicked on cat vids 100k clicked on pro biden vids 150 clicked on trump vids
More people are interested in cat videos than the presidential election ! ?

dont think there is not something out there that isnt being tracked

Your mobile phone.... your car....,
How do you think google maps does traffic stats YOUR PHONE (amongst other things)
Sure, but all that is probably getting squeezed due to tighter privacy laws in various places, meanwhile their costs are only increasing (power, bandwidth, etc) and shareholders probably want their slice of the pie to grow faster... it's totally understandable that they feel the need to clamp down on leakage. Still, I'm going to make them work for it - they already track my phone around the place. To be honest, if/when they somehow force ads on me, I'll almost certainly stop using YT almost entirely. So they'll be better off just letting me use it without the inconvenience
Appreciate 1
nazali1311.50
      11-26-2023, 08:10 PM   #37
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

YT *Re*Vanced

Bumping this instead of starting a new thread. Tx to Guido for suggesting this to me and I've successfully installed it into my Android phone. However, my Fire 8 tablet isn't cooperating (can't installed...parse error? no idea what's gonna on as I'm IT-illiterate) so I'm still trying to figure out how to install it there. Any help guys?
Appreciate 1
nazali1311.50
      11-26-2023, 08:18 PM   #38
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
FF and ublock on win10 works fine here.
On my phone (android), I use youtube revanced.
Any idea what the best YouTube adblock for iPhone might be?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2023, 03:08 AM   #39
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

If there isn't an app for it, I'd go for Firefox and add in ublock.
Appreciate 0