E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Official Montreal Members Thread (#4)

11-21-2012, 09:41 PM   #441
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Yep disappointed with Auto Magik's work of late....

I need to start collecting pop cans, the new Viper is coming out, so will a few interesting cars like the New Porsche Cayman, Corvette etc.....I can start dreaming, cos the toy fund is depleted!
      11-21-2012, 09:44 PM   #442
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal red View Post
you have a point for sure... but then again, you've also been spoiled by superior body control from your coilovers on the e90 and now with the more sportily tuned suspension of the R. i am sure a stock e90 335 would feel like jello as well once you have gotten used to a well matched set of shocks/springs.
I should drive someone's. I actually no longer know how it feels. Maybe I am wearing rose-colour sunglasses.
BMW is also trying to cover more bases with the F30. I think that the 328 is now more of sporty sedan than a sports sedan.

The 335 can play the role of the luxo ship or a sports sedan all the way up to a baby M3 if one gets the M Sport package with the adjustable suspension.

On the other hand I don't know if you can get a sport suspension with the sports line on the 328. If you can then the 328 can be every bit the sports sedan that mine is (in terms of handling).
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 09:51 PM   #443
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
I should drive someone's. I actually no longer know how it feels. Maybe I am wearing rose-colour sunglasses.
Well, I would have offered, but I do not have an xi
      11-21-2012, 09:55 PM   #444
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep
Drives: fast, sometimes slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerista View Post
Well, I just got my 335. So here goes my version of the Pseudo critique:

-standard suspension is soft. I have the sport suspension which is goldilocks to me, not ball breakin hard like my e90 with SP was, but certainly not soft either. I am now less afraid of winter potholes.

-interior: I think the seats are great, a little wider than the e90 and 1 series but otherwise with good support. I really must respectfully disagree with the critique of the overall quality of the interior-it is a step up from the e90 and certainly even more so from the 1 series

-steering: I have not yet made up my mind yet. The standard setting is definitely looser than any previous BMW. But the car has a sport setting that I have not yet tried and its supposed to tighten things up. We'll see once I try it.

Overall I love this car as much as the my first Bimmer and that's saying a lot since I had fun with the 135 vert

The N55 is a much smoother engine than the N54 and I like that.
I would like you to come have a sit...seat...whatever in my R and get your opinion then (although I'd like to see your seats, too - I wonder whether the 335 sport seats are radically different from the 328 ones).

The rest of the interior seems fine (except the rear seat child latches... that's completely unforgivable).

I want to see what happens with the new M3/4 as M-red and J-gal said. I think I may have gotten BMW disappointment at the moment
      11-21-2012, 10:09 PM   #445
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

The next Golf apparently will be 200 lbs lighter......

Oh, I know you folks are curious what the next M3/M4 will be, but I am quite confident they will underwhelm because BMW caters more and more to rich folks than purists! Look at the current M3 which is a BUS at 3600 lbs, but very well disguised with the sporty V8 and handling magic.

I get the feeling BMW has lost the way quite a while ago, while all other car makers are striving to come up with one product for true driving fans.....
      11-21-2012, 10:12 PM   #446
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F22 M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth View Post

I need to start collecting pop cans, the new Viper is coming out, so will a few interesting cars like the New Porsche Cayman, Corvette etc.....I can start dreaming, cos the toy fund is depleted!
You might as well face it your addicted to speed ...

Ah, yes, the Cayman and C7 love The Cayman is drop dead lovely. I cant wait for some better spy shots of the C7. I hope they finally decide to finish the rear of the car instead of just plunking 4 lights on the back of a blank canvas.

Quote:
I would like you to come have a sit...seat...whatever in my R and get your opinion then (although I'd like to see your seats, too - I wonder whether the 335 sport seats are radically different from the 328 ones).

The rest of the interior seems fine (except the rear seat child latches... that's completely unforgivable).

I want to see what happens with the new M3/4 as M-red and J-gal said. I think I may have gotten BMW disappointment at the moment
I liked the overall interior of the F30. Even the engine was good. I didnt like the suspension or steering. Then again I thought my KWv3 on the hardest settings was too soft. My current M3s ride is comfy. Solid as a brick. You'd love my JRZs.
      11-21-2012, 10:44 PM   #447
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonybest View Post
The car is beautiful, great job. 14 hours.

Total Auto Esthetiks, Mark (who has done Chris' car in the past) is very kind and respectful to your prized possession.

He used to work at autoMagik. He was appalled at the paint job they did on my car.

I am impressed.
wow 14 hours!! i guess you did a total paint correction/polish to the entire body. did you reinstall a fresh sheet of clear bra as well? or did they manage to get all that black rubber gunk off it?

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 11:07 PM   #448
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep

Quote:

the new viper is delicious.... 8.4L V10 engine!! its almost as if they forgot how much fuel costs nowadays. lol. i love it! i wished i could have one but i think the new price is going to be 140k and up. ouch...

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 11:12 PM   #449
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
the new viper is delicious.... 8.4L V10 engine!! its almost as if they forgot how much fuel costs nowadays. lol. i love it! i wished i could have one but i think the new price is going to be 140k and up. ouch...
No, actually the SRT will be under 100k US. The more expensive one is for heavier more comfy etc. So for track the SRT better suited.... What it means in Can$ don't know....
      11-22-2012, 08:24 AM   #450
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep

Quote:
No, actually the SRT will be under 100k US. The more expensive one is for heavier more comfy etc. So for track the SRT better suited.... What it means in Can$ don't know....
well 100K USD means its probably going to end up at 110 to 120K CAD judging by the typical mark ups for the canadian market. makes it slightly more affordable. i say get it!! its still a bargain for what it offers. if europe made a car with an engine like that, they would charge 200+K for it.

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 08:26 AM   #451
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep

montreal's new unmarked police car....sneaky bastards.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 01:59 PM   #452
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
That is pretty devilish. Nice stealth airbrush job.
      11-22-2012, 04:19 PM   #453
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal red
I saw one on Cote St Catherine a few days ago. It was on the sidewalk and I was thinking "what maroon would plunk their car on the sidewalk". As I passed I saw the markings and made a mental note to respect the white or black Chargers.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 04:21 PM   #454
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Quote:
Well, I just got my 335. So here goes my version of the Pseudo critique:

-standard suspension is soft. I have the sport suspension which is goldilocks to me, not ball breakin hard like my e90 with SP was, but certainly not soft either. I am now less afraid of winter potholes.

-interior: I think the seats are great, a little wider than the e90 and 1 series but otherwise with good support. I really must respectfully disagree with the critique of the overall quality of the interior-it is a step up from the e90 and certainly even more so from the 1 series

-steering: I have not yet made up my mind yet. The standard setting is definitely looser than any previous BMW. But the car has a sport setting that I have not yet tried and its supposed to tighten things up. We'll see once I try it.

Overall I love this car as much as the my first Bimmer and that's saying a lot since I had fun with the 135 vert

The N55 is a much smoother engine than the N54 and I like that.

I think the sport seats are the same (not sure though).

So you don't like that the latches are now well disguised by the back seat. Funny I think it's better now since in my old car the black plastic caps stuck out against the Coral Red seats like a sore thumb.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 04:25 PM   #455
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalaxy
Quote:

You might as well face it your addicted to speed ...

Ah, yes, the Cayman and C7 love The Cayman is drop dead lovely. I cant wait for some better spy shots of the C7. I hope they finally decide to finish the rear of the car instead of just plunking 4 lights on the back of a blank canvas.

Quote:

I liked the overall interior of the F30. Even the engine was good. I didnt like the suspension or steering. Then again I thought my KWv3 on the hardest settings was too soft. My current M3s ride is comfy. Solid as a brick. You'd love my JRZs.
Well if you think your M3's suspension is comfy then obviously the suspension of "normal" cars would be soft to you. 😜

The steering is easier to turn (me no like) but it's still precise.

So far the best steering I had was in the M Sport 135: perfectly weighted and the wheel just the right thickness for my hands. So thus far the feeble steering effort is the one criticism I make of the F30.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 07:27 PM   #456
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
well 100K USD means its probably going to end up at 110 to 120K CAD judging by the typical mark ups for the canadian market. makes it slightly more affordable. i say get it!! its still a bargain for what it offers. if europe made a car with an engine like that, they would charge 200+K for it.
No, I can dream about it, no money unless I miraculously win the lotto or something. Then I'd get both a Viper and a C7 Z06 or ZR1 Corvette.

I actually dropped by a GM/Chevrolet/Buick dealership. They didn't have a Vette on the floor, they say they will call me whenever they get one. Cadillacs 2012 were going for 6-11k off MSRP, quite interesting. I sat in a CTS with leather interior and I must say they have made significant strides since the first version of the CTS which looked cheap with plastics everywhere back then.

I can see some folks preferring this interior than the BMW, which I never found too upscale anyway. Audi is still the best of the Merc, Audi, BMW trio.
      11-22-2012, 09:58 PM   #457
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep

I agree that Audi still makes the best interiors. It is what defines their cars.

Interesting about the Caddy interiors. The Yanks have made great strides. My wife's Lincoln actually has a better feel/touch quality interior than my car!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 03:20 AM   #458
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I agree that Audi still makes the best interiors. It is what defines their cars.

Interesting about the Caddy interiors. The Yanks have made great strides. My wife's Lincoln actually has a better feel/touch quality interior than my car!!!
Some interesting input, with Audi oddly absent (?)

11-23-2012, 10:10 AM   #459
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

So that summarizes the great strides really well. The Americans are back!!!

BMW lost it's way in trying to appeal to the masses.....
      11-23-2012, 12:30 PM   #460
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Went to Freeport to pick up my boost gauge (and some other stuffs) this AM.

Crap, I'll have to go back t Freeport some time again. I Ordered 2 wipers but they made a mistake and shipped me only one, but they are sending it!

Last edited by kenneth; 11-23-2012 at 12:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 01:10 PM   #461
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
So that summarizes the great strides really well. The Americans are back!!!

BMW lost it's way in trying to appeal to the masses.....
It seems to be that Detroit got a good wake up call and actually rose to the occasion. They only have a short time before China and India are on their heels.
      11-23-2012, 01:12 PM   #462
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Went to Freeport to pick up my boost gauge (and some other stuffs) this AM.

Crap, I'll have to go back t Freeport some time again. I Ordered 2 wipers but they made a mistake and shipped me only one, but they are sending it!
Is it really worth while to use Freeport? I mean you have to spend 30-40$ in gas, 2-3 hours in transit and potentially pay duty and taxes at the border ...