E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Need some advice

01-30-2013, 10:31 AM   #1
Overspooled
MurderedOut
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 c63 AMG Coupe

Need some advice

Hey guys, so my dad was driving my mothers car today and she has 35% tint on the front windows because of a skin problem. She has a prescribed creme to reduce the effects of freckles on her face. The sun really annoys her and irritates her skin. So today while my dad was driving, he got pulled over and the officer said he had illegal tints. My dad said that the windows were dirty thats why they look so dark, and that they are legal. The officer said that they look like 30% by the looks of it. He gave us 48 hours to go to this place where they use that machine to see the tint %age. What should I do? I know that if I don't go in 48 hours i will get a ticket between 100 and 200$. I know my mom can get a letter from her doctor which states that she has a skin problem and has to have a darker shade of tint. Is it possible to have a letter to get darker tints? I've heard of this but I'm not sure about it. Would be great if anyone from Canada or Montreal had an answer to this!
      01-30-2013, 11:08 AM   #2
rorkor
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 N52 6MT

Garage List
2010 E70 X5 35d  [10.00]
2011 E90 328i  [10.00]
That's such a tricky situation. I would say you could fight it in court but probably not with an officer on the side of the road. Here illegal tint is a statutory fine so the officer usually won't car why it is on the car and if the person it is for is not driving or with you, definitely a no go as it would be viewed like a handicap placard being used by the spouse or kid without the disabled person.
      01-30-2013, 11:10 AM   #3
DetectiveLoki
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Convertible

Get a doctor note? Or can you just pay the fine and leave it on?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 11:33 AM   #4
mugenKris
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328I

Get the note and go to court. show it to the judge and bring your mother with. they will drop the ticket. There is no way that they will fault you for your mother having the condition. and at this point put the note in the glovebox and ride around. best of luck to you
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 11:48 AM   #5
Overspooled
MurderedOut
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugenKris View Post
Get the note and go to court. show it to the judge and bring your mother with. they will drop the ticket. There is no way that they will fault you for your mother having the condition. and at this point put the note in the glovebox and ride around. best of luck to you
So I should wait and get the ticket and then go to court with a note?
      01-30-2013, 12:12 PM   #6
mugenKris
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328I

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurderedBeemer View Post
So I should wait and get the ticket and then go to court with a note?
unless you have another way of presenting this note to a deciding athority.....and if you dont then yes you will have to get the ticket and go to court........

If you can get the note and show it to the cop before u get the ticket or who ever u need to show it to..then do that firtst.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 12:40 PM   #7
Overspooled
MurderedOut
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugenKris View Post
unless you have another way of presenting this note to a deciding athority.....and if you dont then yes you will have to get the ticket and go to court........

If you can get the note and show it to the cop before u get the ticket or who ever u need to show it to..then do that firtst.
Alright thanks man!
      01-30-2013, 12:45 PM   #8
atown88
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Yeah, I work in a clinic and a hospital and it shouldn't be a problem for a doctor or even their medical assistant/nurse to draft up a quick note. I'd recommend telling them your situation though so they can do it stat.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 12:49 PM   #9
Overspooled
MurderedOut
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atown88 View Post
Yeah, I work in a clinic and a hospital and it shouldn't be a problem for a doctor or even their medical assistant/nurse to draft up a quick note. I'd recommend telling them your situation though so they can do it stat.
Meaning my mom should tell her doctor the situation and she would write a note relating to that? Before getting the ticket my mom was looking to get a note and bring it to the saaq, which is the office that gives us our license and have them write in her license that she has darker tints so that whenever she gets pulled over the officer would see it. Is that possible?
      01-30-2013, 01:55 PM   #10
atown88
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Meaning my mom should tell her doctor the situation and she would write a note relating to that? Before getting the ticket my mom was looking to get a note and bring it to the saaq, which is the office that gives us our license and have them write in her license that she has darker tints so that whenever she gets pulled over the officer would see it. Is that possible?
Correct. It's sort of like a disability claim or a note to an employer stating special needs. Not sure if her primary care provider is at a hospital or a clinic, but you should be able to contact them and request one. But be sure to include the severity of this note because letters like this tend to be put on the back burner.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 02:26 PM   #11
Overspooled
MurderedOut
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atown88 View Post
Correct. It's sort of like a disability claim or a note to an employer stating special needs. Not sure if her primary care provider is at a hospital or a clinic, but you should be able to contact them and request one. But be sure to include the severity of this note because letters like this tend to be put on the back burner.
Perfect, may I ask what severity means??
      01-30-2013, 02:54 PM   #12
JohnSprm69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW e92

let them send you a ticket and be done with it.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 03:01 PM   #13
RT-290
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

I'm not sure the ins and outs of the legal system in Canada, but I can apply my knowledge from Wisconsin.

First, did the officer use a tint meter or other device to measure the allowable light that passes through the window? If not the government body needs to prove the tint is illegal to get a successful prosecution.

Second, have you researched the laws of your area to see what's legal? In WI you are allowed 50% tint on the sides and 35% to the rear.

Third, I'm not sure if a judge/magistrate cares about a letter from your mom's doctor if your father was driving at the time. The best thing to do with the letter is to take it to the DMW, or the agency that issues drivers license to see if it can be added as a " restriction" to her DL. I often see people with disabilities that have special things allowable that are normally illegal, such as a steering knob.

Your other option is to get the tint changed to the darkest allowable by law so it doesn't matter who drives the car.

Again, if the officer didnt use a device to measure the allowable light through the window don't do his work for him. I'd like to see him go to court and say, "it looked to me like 35%..." If he did use a meter good luck in court.

Joel
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 03:35 PM   #14
atown88
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Perfect, may I ask what severity means??
I guess I could have just used Urgent. Just tell them you have 48 hours and the clock is ticking! Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #15
PUG-N-BEEM GUY
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328I sedan

Well it's nearing the end of the month....looks like little Ms officer is trying to get in enough tickets to meet or exceed his quota! I hate it when officers harass honest people.
      01-30-2013, 04:39 PM   #16
Overspooled
MurderedOut
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyboy328 View Post
Well it's nearing the end of the month....looks like little Ms officer is trying to get in enough tickets to meet or exceed his quota! I hate it when officers harass honest people.
Yes cops all around the city today, gets really annoying!
      01-30-2013, 05:42 PM   #17
harkirath
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i e90

Yes you can use a note. But you should have gotten that note a long time ago to give to the officer when you do get pulled over.

I tried to get one from my doctor but he refused to give it to me. Ended up going with 50% tint up front, although with my white interior it doesn't look that dark.
Appreciate 0