E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > F1- Senna Movie- You dont about racing, if you dont know this man

08-12-2011, 06:44 PM   #1
RaceBlood
Going nowhere fast.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2 wheels

F1- Senna Movie- You dont about racing, if you dont know this man

Securing mainstream, in-theater U.S. distribution for a documentary film is often a challenge and even more difficult, if not nigh on impossible, when the subject matter is a sport with a relatively low domestic profile. Yet the much-anticipated Senna opens in Los Angeles and New York today, Aug. 12, and 17 additional U.S. cities will play host in the following weeks to the award-winning look at the Brazilian Formula One world champion who died in the San Marino Grand Prix in Italy on May 1, 1994.

Positive word-of-mouth buzz gave this remarkable film enough momentum that Senna--released already in other countries, most of which rank F1 as a spectator sport of choice--has become successful on both commercial and artistic merit. Its appeal as a cinematic experience spreads beyond racing enthusiasts, and it became the best-performing documentary in U.K. history upon its June release.

Early signs indicate that it will fare well in this country, too. The film won two prestigious audience awards--for World Cinema Documentary at January's Sundance Festival and for International Feature at the L.A. Film Festival in June. Reports from early screenings in New York, Los Angeles and Austin, Texas--where F1 is scheduled to return to the United States in 2012--said that audience members who entered theaters knowing little to nothing about F1 and what they were going to witness were visibly emotional, even shaken, by the time the credits rolled.

Autoweek readers, of course, will know how the story ends, but "you don't have to be an F1 aficionado to make this film work for you," says British screenwriter and executive producer Manish Pandey. "We haven't made it so complicated that you need to know the rules in and out. We have reduced it to a series of parables, if you like, and I think the American audiences bring with them passion and energy."

One thing the movie has going for it in the United States that it doesn't have in the United Kingdom, for instance, is the Latin community, Pandey says. "And also," he notes, "Senna's relative anonymity in the States. It almost has a Sixth Sense element to it. Go and see the film, and don't give away the ending [to those who don't know]!"

Many people played a role in getting Senna to the screen, but Pandey was the driving force. If you spend a few minutes in his company, you can understand how the enthusiastic 44-year-old helped to convince both F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone and the Senna family to share his vision.

Pandey is actually a doctor specializing in orthopedics, but F1 has been his great passion since his early teens. He became a Senna fan when the Brazilian drove for Lotus early in his career, at a time when most Brits supported Nigel Mansell.

"Suddenly, I had a proper hero," he recalls. "I loved everything about him. I learned about how determined he was, how passionate he was, how ruthless he was. I found every one of those characteristics more attractive, not less.

"For me, it was a perfect storm. You've got this great guy, you admire him so much, and he's the bête noire of everyone you don't like. And the more ignorant they are, the more you feel justified in liking this guy."

After practicing medicine full-time for a few years, Pandey relaxed his schedule to follow a new part-time career as a screenwriter. Although none of his fictional scripts was produced prior to Senna, he established a relationship with London-based Working Title, the production company behind Four Weddings and a Funeral, Notting Hill, Bridget Jones's Diary, Billy Elliot and Captain Corelli's Mandolin, as well as many Coen brothers films.

Senna was kick-started by producer James Gay-Rees, who, ironically, showed little interest in racing when his father was an account manager for Lotus title sponsor John Player Special at the same time Senna drove for the team. However, by 2004, Gay-Rees, now 44, was in the movie business and pitching ideas to Working Title. Newspaper articles about the 10th anniversary of Senna's death caught his eye, and he floated the idea of a documentary about the three-time world champion. Enter Pandey.

"My wife was head of development at Working Title at the time, and she'd made a film with James many years earlier," Pandey says. "She said, 'If you want to make a film about Senna, you should talk to my husband, because he really knows about him.'

"So I met James in October 2004. I said, you can't just make a film about the death of Ayrton Senna. It misses the point of him. If you really knew what this guy was in life, you'd really see it. If you want to do something, do his life and death.

"I even had in my mind what the three acts would be--his ascent to the world championship, his struggle which only begins when he becomes world champion, and then his death, which is the whole third act. James said, 'Fantastic. Can you write something?'"

A month later, Pandey delivered a 10-page treatment. However, it would take six years for the finished film to make the screen, and there were many hurdles. Earning the support of the Senna family--who are intensely protective of Ayrton's image and legacy--was an absolute must for the project to have even a hope of becoming reality.

Pandey and Gay-Rees in June 2005 had a positive meeting in London with Celso Lemos, the Senna Foundation's commercial boss, but the person who mattered was Ayrton's sister Viviane. The two filmmakers finally met with her in March 2006 in the family's hometown of São Paulo, where Pandey made a 40-minute presentation.

"At the end of it, she got up," he says. "I'd known her 41 minutes by then, and she just said to me, 'You really knew my brother.' I had this incredible shiver down my spine when she said that. The closest I'd been to him was four feet away at Silverstone once. She just felt I'd got the essence of the man."

There was one more bridge to cross. Without permission from Ecclestone to use official F1 race footage, there would be no film. The team met him in May 2006.

"We had a 17-minute meeting," Pandey recalls. "He didn't sit down, but he was very animated and talked a lot. At the end, he said, 'We'll see what we can do.' We knew we had the deal then."

Still, a couple of years passed before contracts were finalized. As time dragged on, original director Kevin MacDonald--who made the acclaimed mountaineering documentary Touching the Void--dropped out. In February 2007, Pandey and Gay-Rees found a worthy replacement in Asif Kapadia, already the winner of a British Academy Award for a dramatic film. Kapadia, now 39, brought a new artistic dimension to the project, deciding that the film could be made only with original footage and without talking heads or a narrator. Instead, Senna would tell the story himself, backed by sound bites from unseen interviewees. In filmmaking terms, it was a bold step.

"It's super rare," Pandey acknowledges. "Normally, if people have all archive [footage], they have a narrator, and we didn't even do that. We made it so hard for ourselves."

Viviane Senna, team owner Frank Williams, former F1 doctor Sid Watkins, Senna archrival Alain Prost and McLaren F1 boss Ron Dennis recorded interviews. Insight from journalists, including former ESPN F1 commentator John Bisignano, help keep the story flowing. The producers received an unexpected bonus when leading Brazilian soundtrack composer Antonio Pinto contacted them and volunteered to provide the music.

Meanwhile, footage was sourced from around the world, including the family. The key was access to Ecclestone's vaults, where the team found amazing unseen video of FIA driver briefings and a preoccupied Senna in the Williams team's garage during his final weekend of racing. The first cut of the film came in at five hours, and chopping it down to a more manageable 104 minutes was a painful process. The Senna family saw the final version in a rented theater in Cannes, just before the 2010 Monaco Grand Prix.

"Viviane said, 'Manish, you guys did it,'" Pandey says. "'You captured the genius and the humanity.' And she shrugged. I just can't tell you how we felt. It was an incredible sigh of relief in that moment, the tension of the world falling off our shoulders."

The film first played late last year in Japan and Brazil, two Senna-friendly markets that also happened to host conveniently timed Grands Prix. Since then, it has rolled out around the world, always with a warm reception. Pandey makes the point that U.S. race fans are a dedicated bunch, used to watching live F1 action at odd hours. Sound familiar? These are people who would be willing to make an effort to get to the theater to see the film on a big screen.

"We've had people who have driven a couple of hundred miles," Pandey says. "Without doubt, Americans have responded to it already, but box office is so hard to predict."

True, but providing some anecdotal evidence of the film's potential in this country, more than 5,000 voters on the IMDB.com Web site rate it an 8.8 out of 10.0. The sample might be small, but that's the best-ever score for a documentary--and incredibly, that's bettered by only seven movies in history, including The Godfather I and II, Pulp Fiction and Schindler's List.

"The people who score the film most highly are American women," Pandey points out. "The Americans bring something to it which we never could, in that they don't know who he was. So they watch it as a movie; they have no baggage at all.

"It's about a young man, he's hardworking, he struggles all his life, he achieved super heights, he's immensely wealthy, he's God-fearing--and we kill him! That's not the Hollywood paradigm at any level."

The upcoming DVD version includes an extra 50 minutes of talking heads, which can be viewed either separately or inserted at intervals into the regular cut. But make no mistake: This is a film that begs to be seen on the big screen. Don't miss your chance.

U.S. Release Dates (Check local listings for updates):

Aug. 12: Los Angeles (Landmark); New York (Landmark Sunshine Cinema)

Aug. 19: Austin, Texas (Violet Crown Cinema); Berkeley, Calif. (Landmark Shattuck Cinemas); Cambridge, Mass. (Landmark Kendall Square Cinema); Chicago (Landmark Century Centre Cinema); Dallas (Angelika Dallas Film Center); Detroit (Landmark Main Art Theatre); Miami (AMC Sunset Place 24); Nashville (Belcourt Theatre); Philadelphia (Landmark Ritz at the Bourse); San Francisco (Landmark Embarcadero Center Cinema); Washington, D.C. (Landmark E Street Cinema)

Aug. 26: Atlanta (Landmark Midtown Art Cinema); Denver (Landmark Chez Artiste); Minneapolis (Landmark Lagoon Cinema); Palm Springs, Calif. (Cinemas Palme d'Or); Palo Alto, Calif. (TBD); Portland (Regal Fox Tower Stadium); San Diego (Landmark Ken Cinema); Seattle (Landmark Varsity Theatre)

Sept. 2: Charlotte, N.C. (Park Terrace); Indianapolis (Regal Downtown West Cinema); Knoxville, Tenn. (Landmark Keystone Art Cinema); St. Louis (Landmark Tivoli Theatre)

Sept. 23: Santa Fe, N.M. (UA DeVargas Mall)
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 07:00 PM   #2
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

http://movies.nytimes.com/2011/08/12...er-review.html
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 09:23 PM   #3
Tonifyd
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 JB E90M3 6MT

holy shit that's today!!!
oh thank god, there's one next weekend.
Is this the one that was featured on top gear?
      08-12-2011, 10:58 PM   #4
BostonRocket
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ‘20 Mini Clubman JCW

I have a digital copy of the movie already. Fair warning for those looking for a 2 hour video of Senna passing people; it's not that. A great movie, I must say.

-Chris
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 11:30 PM   #5
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonRocket View Post
I have a digital copy of the movie already.
Wish I was in your shoes . Will have to wait until it's released on Netflix to watch it. Oh well.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 11:49 PM   #6
Ayrton Senna
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 350z, m3, civic.

This is a great documentary... probably my favorite documentary of all time. I highly recommend seeing it.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 12:47 AM   #7
Tonifyd
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton Senna View Post
This is a great documentary... probably my favorite documentary of all time. I highly recommend seeing it.
Senna's death was staged, and he now resides in Ohio.
      08-13-2011, 09:26 AM   #8
iksenna
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 SINGAPORE GREY

The film is amazing and there's a couple of good of snippets after the final credits.Its very, very well made. Its detailed and even the soundtrack is excellent.

For any F1 fans, on youtube there's a very good BBC profile of Jim Clark that was made recently made that's actually very good.
      08-13-2011, 11:35 AM   #9
sheepboy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonifyd View Post
Quote:
As a Brazilian I would like to say Senna is a true national hero for us and comments like this are just disrespectful, to say the least.

I did watched the movie a few months ago. If you had seen it or knew anything about this great man, who happened to be a formula1 driver, you would understand how silly your comment is.

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 01:15 PM   #10
iksenna
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I'm not sure what those comments are supposed to mean, or what planet you spend your days on. Go watch the movie and learn something....
      08-13-2011, 01:42 PM   #11
EdM5
Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G26 i4 M50 & E70 X5 Xdrive35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepboy View Post
As a Brazilian I would like to say Senna is a true national hero for us
And a true hero for all other motorsport fans!
M5Rick58412.50
      08-13-2011, 02:04 PM   #12
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwinF10 View Post
And a true hero for all other motorsport fans!
Senna's grave attracts more visitors than the graves of John F Kennedy, Marilyn Monroe and Elvis Presley combined.
      08-13-2011, 02:37 PM   #13
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
You should be ashamed for posting something like this

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 02:40 PM   #14
mrkhanna16
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 SSII/Fox Red ZCP DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I downloaded it last night....its soo sick so far!

E92 M3 SSII/Fox Red, DCT, ZCP
past rides-IS350, E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 03:14 PM   #15
NatAsp-M3
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
Senna's grave attracts more visitors than the graves of John F Kennedy, Marilyn Monroe and Elvis Presley combined.
Interesting comparo, but I hope this comment doesn't imply Sennas 3-time Formula championships and life accomplishments are superior or on par with JFK's based on grave visitation statistics (from what source??)... No disrespect to any of the departed, but Michael Jackson's grave probably has more visitors than all these people combined... so does that mean something?

e90M3, sold: Akrapovic // Brembo // VRS // Eisenmann // Advan RS // ESS // Challenge
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 08:24 PM   #16
DOUT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Saw it today at the Landmark, such a great movie

Previous:
2009 335i ZMP
2013 M3 6MT ZCP Space Grey/Fox Red
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 08:50 PM   #17
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
wow. SEMPRE SENNA. he is always missed. Still love that video clip of him driving in Monaco.. Such talent will not be replaced.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 10:18 PM   #18
BostonRocket
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ‘20 Mini Clubman JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Wish I was in your shoes . Will have to wait until it's released on Netflix to watch it. Oh well.
Worth the wait. His driving skills put him above anyone. His charity work made him a saint.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 02:09 AM   #19
Tonifyd
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepboy View Post
As a Brazilian I would like to say Senna is a true national hero for us and comments like this are just disrespectful, to say the least.

I did watched the movie a few months ago. If you had seen it or knew anything about this great man, who happened to be a formula1 driver, you would understand how silly your comment is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
You should be ashamed for posting something like this
uh.....it was a joke. guess it was a bad joke..or no one got it?
Quote:
Based on this guy.. and where he lives.. haha..ha....ha.......
OK sorry. No offense intended. I have mad respect for him.
      08-14-2011, 07:38 AM   #20
iksenna
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatrach73 View Post
wow. SEMPRE SENNA. he is always missed. Still love that video clip of him driving in Monaco.. Such talent will not be replaced.
I wish that movie had his 1st lap at Donington GP. 5th -> 1st within 1 lap....pure driving genius.
      08-14-2011, 12:27 PM   #21
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep
Drives: GT4, Raptor.2, Tuono 1100F

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
Stupid comment. JFK was a true hero and changed the world... Senna was just a great racing driver. Leave it at that.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 02:10 PM   #22
sheepboy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital.James View Post
Stupid comment. JFK was a true hero and changed the world... Senna was just a great racing driver. Leave it at that.
I don't think we need to disrespect one to praise the other. To say Senna is not a true hero is to say "I know nothing about Senna". Try saying that in Brazil and see what kind of reactions you get...

As I said before, Senna was a great man who happened to be a great driver. His work, influence and achievements outside the race tracks were no less impressive than his superhuman driving skills. And boy, could he drive! I was watching the race live on TV when he crashed and my crying eyes were glued to the TV for the rest of the day. For me and millions os people in my home country, it felt like the country had lost its soul.

JFK is part of America's history and he did change the course of history. I think he deserves the same respect Brazilians give to Senna. If there are more visitors to Senna's grave than to JFK's, it probably only means that Brazil is the largest catholic country in the world and, for catholics, it is important to pay respects to the deceased at their grave yard. I have been to Arlington National Cemetery and payed my respects to JFK. I have never been to Senna's grave in Sao Paulo... Does this have any special meaning? Of course not.

Last edited by sheepboy; 08-14-2011 at 02:24 PM..
Appreciate 0