E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Time for Action - OBD Theft

08-29-2012, 08:44 AM   #67
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyray911 View Post
Hope you don't mind,but I've now posted a link to this thread onto the main Pistonheads thread.
thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 09:12 AM   #68
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

UPDATE!

Just a phone call from a Thatcham engineer returning my call of last week. He could not give out much information to me for security reasons (how ironic) but was genuinely as helpful as he could be. In bullet form and no particular order, this is what he said:

- he conld not confirm what criteria a category 1 alarm has to meet. My query here was whether an alarm can be classified as a category 1 alarm if you are able to reach inside the car to the OBD port without the alarm going of.

- he said moving the OBD port was a good option. BMW dealers are willing to carry this out for you...no doubt for a hefty fee. Steering locks are a good viable option in his opinion.

- the UK spec security in cars are amongst the highest in the world and what we get as standard security is actually optional in other regions.

- apart from this OBD issue BMWs have a very high security spec compared to other car manufacturers

- BMW are actually working with the police on the issue (I can't see how this helps though - I'm saying this not him)

- The OBD theft issue is world wide for BMW. (I gathered that this OBD theft is spreading like an epidemic - just my inference from what he was saying though)

- BMW are looking to upgrade their software to avoid these OBD thefts BUT this will NOT be a retrospective fix to our cars. Only new cars will have this software upgrade once it is completed and being rolled out on the production line. Apparently it is quite difficult to retrospectively upgrade a car's security software.

- the reason it is taking so long for the software upgrade is because it is a difficult fix. Not as simple as we believe or would like to believe (but even so we would be hang on and hoping for a fix that when it arrives will not be applied to our cars - this is my point)

Take what you want from the points above as it is his words not mine - apart from where I've stated otherwise.

Last week I sent of an online application to Watchdog but have not had a response just yet. I included links to OBD theft threads on here and another forum plus the youtube link for the white 1M theft. Someone on here posted that the BBC is looking to speak to people who had their BMWs stolen via OBDs so I'm not sure if my online application is where the interest by watchdog has been sparked from.

I will be looking into the online petition tonight. I've been working all hours under the sun for the last couple of days so not had any time.

Can we discuss more about twitter and facebook? Seems a good idea for public humiliation of BMW. The fb page would be an easy link to the youtube vid of the 1M theft. I think someone voiced concern about making the problem known to even more potential thieves but without going public how can we raise the profile of our dilemma? Thoughts and opinions please.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 10:16 AM   #69
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Thanks for your efforts so far.

I am quite a keen Twittererer so I would be happy to help you there if that is a route you want to pursue.

Rgds
Matt
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 10:27 AM   #70
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
Thanks for your efforts so far.

I am quite a keen Twittererer so I would be happy to help you there if that is a route you want to pursue.

Rgds
Matt
...cause I know sweet FA about how that twitter stuff works!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 10:34 AM   #71
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaza01 View Post
I think someone voiced concern about making the problem known to even more potential thieves
That's nonsense, they'd already know if they were into that. They're not suddenly going to take up stealing BMWs because of something they see on Facebook, they'd still need to know what to do.

What is a realistic concern about over-exposure is a big drop in residuals of affected cars and a big hike in insurance.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 11:01 AM   #72
Gra
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 335d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
That's nonsense, they'd already know if they were into that. They're not suddenly going to take up stealing BMWs because of something they see on Facebook, they'd still need to know what to do.
There's some surprisingly dumb-as-a-rock crooks out there that will probably welcome a pointer to a potential new income stream. I'd imagine your average twoc'er will be searching eBay soon after.

Either way, I'm picking up a disklok on the way home....better safe than sorry. I'm already twitching everytime I hear the slightest noise out in the street as it is...
      08-29-2012, 11:06 AM   #73
Mart1000
Capt Slow
Rep
Drives: Leon FR Supercopa

Your average joyrider won't be carrying this sort of equipment round just for a spin.

This will mainly be used by larger 'rings' of criminals, with a complex tier system, as in who does what and when.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 11:28 AM   #74
wheelie good
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Yer the sercuremycar chap confirmed on another thread a software fix will never work and tbh he probably knows more then them idiots at BMW

It's sounds a hardware mod only
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 11:47 AM   #75
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post

What is a realistic concern about over-exposure is a big drop in residuals of affected cars and a big hike in insurance.
I had some time wasters break into my garage last week, they took the first thing they saw which was my commuter bike, cost £200 4 years ago....about 1 meter away deeper in my garage was my road bike worth about £800, next to my road bike was 2 set of wheels each worth £300+ each all left untouched....there are some surprisingly dumb criminals out there..

I'm glad my cars OBD port is now not easily accessible and has a highly visible Disklok on at night, the last thing I want is people like these bike thieves "having a go" at my car with some key cloner they have bought off ebay
Incidently my garage is now fully alarmed up and everthing secured with various locks and cables..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 12:53 PM   #76
jada07515
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

ill sign anything needed to put some weight behind sorting it
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 01:07 PM   #77
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jada07515 View Post
ill sign anything needed to put some weight behind sorting it
A personal cheque with lots of 0's on it would be good
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 03:18 PM   #78
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
UPDATE!

Just a phone call from a Thatcham engineer returning my call of last week. He could not give out much information to me for security reasons (how ironic) but was genuinely as helpful as he could be. In bullet form and no particular order, this is what he said:

- he conld not confirm what criteria a category 1 alarm has to meet. My query here was whether an alarm can be classified as a category 1 alarm if you are able to reach inside the car to the OBD port without the alarm going of.

- he said moving the OBD port was a good option. BMW dealers are willing to carry this out for you...no doubt for a hefty fee. Steering locks are a good viable option in his opinion.

- the UK spec security in cars are amongst the highest in the world and what we get as standard security is actually optional in other regions.

- apart from this OBD issue BMWs have a very high security spec compared to other car manufacturers

- BMW are actually working with the police on the issue (I can't see how this helps though - I'm saying this not him)

- The OBD theft issue is world wide for BMW. (I gathered that this OBD theft is spreading like an epidemic - just my inference from what he was saying though)

- BMW are looking to upgrade their software to avoid these OBD thefts BUT this will NOT be a retrospective fix to our cars. Only new cars will have this software upgrade once it is completed and being rolled out on the production line. Apparently it is quite difficult to retrospectively upgrade a car's security software.

- the reason it is taking so long for the software upgrade is because it is a difficult fix. Not as simple as we believe or would like to believe (but even so we would be hang on and hoping for a fix that when it arrives will not be applied to our cars - this is my point)

Take what you want from the points above as it is his words not mine - apart from where I've stated otherwise.

Last week I sent of an online application to Watchdog but have not had a response just yet. I included links to OBD theft threads on here and another forum plus the youtube link for the white 1M theft. Someone on here posted that the BBC is looking to speak to people who had their BMWs stolen via OBDs so I'm not sure if my online application is where the interest by watchdog has been sparked from.

I will be looking into the online petition tonight. I've been working all hours under the sun for the last couple of days so not had any time.

Can we discuss more about twitter and facebook? Seems a good idea for public humiliation of BMW. The fb page would be an easy link to the youtube vid of the 1M theft. I think someone voiced concern about making the problem known to even more potential thieves but without going public how can we raise the profile of our dilemma? Thoughts and opinions please.
Thanks for the update mate.
Most of it is bull shit.
Let me ask you something. If they can associate few things with locking / unlocking, then surely it is not difficult to disable OBD part when car is locked.

A good electrician can connect an electronic power switch to positive wire of OBD port. So when car is turned on, it will source the power to OBD ports (functional) and when car is locked, OBD port will be disabled.
It is not rocket science.
      08-29-2012, 04:26 PM   #79
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Thanks for the update mate.
Most of it is bull shit.
Let me ask you something. If they can associate few things with locking / unlocking, then surely it is not difficult to disable OBD part when car is locked.

A good electrician can connect an electronic power switch to positive wire of OBD port. So when car is turned on, it will source the power to OBD ports (functional) and when car is locked, OBD port will be disabled.
It is not rocket science.
Why you asking me???..did I say I said any of that?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 04:34 PM   #80
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Why you asking me???..did I say I said any of that?
Mate I am referring to that guy, who made 1001 excuses not to accept that there is a fundamental issue with BMW security, and BMW should provide solution for it.
BMW pass these tenders / contracts to external companies like these and at the end consumers like us suffer.
      08-29-2012, 04:42 PM   #81
coopersim
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 420d

A dismal effort from BMW UK Customer Services AGAIN, this is the second email I've sent, with a typical response from them:

"Dear ******

Thank you for your further email dated August 23, 2012. I am sorry that you have had cause to contact us again regarding articles you have seen online. I can certainly appreciate your concerns.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to send us the information you have seen. I can advise that your comments have been duly noted under case reference number 1-***********.

I understand that you are considering removing the OBD port from your vehicle. BMW UK would not advise of this change as it is an EU requirement to have the port accessible in the passenger compartment. The warranty of your vehicle may also be affected by the change.

I can confirm that all software updates are performed by out network of BMW Approved Dealerships. I would advise you to visit your nearest dealership as they can confirm if an update is available for your vehicle. Please note that any software updates are chargeable to the vehicle owner. Your nearest dealership can be found by using the dealer locator on our website. I have included the link for your convenience:

http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/dealerlocator/

Once again, thank you again for your email. Please be assured of our ongoing investigation into this matter.

Yours sincerely"

I'm waiting for the call back from the dealer (placed call at 1040 this morning, and nothing) I've also spoken to an Indy in Sheffield, who'd not heard anything about this problem, even his electrician was scratching his head when I explained, and he reckoned it wasn't possible to steal a car this way!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 07:41 AM   #82
vblanche
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 E91 330xi auto

anyone
www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 08:12 AM   #83
xs2man
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F11 530d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by vblanche View Post
Yep, glad I dont own a vauxhall...

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 09:42 AM   #84
coopersim
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 420d

Small update from BMW:

I can advise that we are currently investigating the recent thefts and that I have logged your comments under case reference number 1-8185001280, which are continuously monitor by our ongoing Product Development team.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 10:18 AM   #85
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopersim View Post
Small update from BMW:

I can advise that we are currently investigating the recent thefts and that I have logged your comments under case reference number 1-8185001280, which are continuously monitor by our ongoing Product Development team.
Have a laugh

Good Effot coopersim.
If at least only members of this forum start complaining / reporting this issue, it should be enough for them to look at it seriously.
      09-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #86
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

Quote:
Small update from BMW:

So that will now be filed in the "round" filing cabinet
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 11:52 AM   #87
fulcrum
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92,F22, F36, G01

Quote:
A dismal effort from BMW UK Customer Services AGAIN, this is the second email I've sent, with a typical response from them:

"Dear ******

Thank you for your further email dated August 23, 2012. I am sorry that you have had cause to contact us again regarding articles you have seen online. I can certainly appreciate your concerns.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to send us the information you have seen. I can advise that your comments have been duly noted under case reference number 1-***********.

I understand that you are considering removing the OBD port from your vehicle. BMW UK would not advise of this change as it is an EU requirement to have the port accessible in the passenger compartment. The warranty of your vehicle may also be affected by the change.

I can confirm that all software updates are performed by out network of BMW Approved Dealerships. I would advise you to visit your nearest dealership as they can confirm if an update is available for your vehicle. Please note that any software updates are chargeable to the vehicle owner. Your nearest dealership can be found by using the dealer locator on our website. I have included the link for your convenience:

http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/dealerlocator/

Once again, thank you again for your email. Please be assured of our ongoing investigation into this matter.

Yours sincerely"

I'm waiting for the call back from the dealer (placed call at 1040 this morning, and nothing) I've also spoken to an Indy in Sheffield, who'd not heard anything about this problem, even his electrician was scratching his head when I explained, and he reckoned it wasn't possible to steal a car this way!
There is an update but only for X5 and X6 - I asked
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 12:18 PM   #88
vblanche
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 E91 330xi auto

so, if they can do it for x5/6, will they be able to do it for E9x? or is it too different?
Appreciate 0