E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Question To All With Sports Package and Paddle Shifters

01-20-2013, 11:03 AM   #1
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' YMB/Blk F82

Question To All With Sports Package and Paddle Shifters

Ok, I got a used 2010' 335d with premium, sports pkg yesterday.

I have always figured out the manual shifter whether it was SMG, DCT or etc on my own in the past.

Now this manual shift with paddle shifters has me perplexed.

When I go to manual mode I can easily shift up and down using the shifter itself but the paddle shifters not so much.

Maybe its because you dont pull the shifters towards your body like my old M3 did...I tried this at first but both right and left paddle kept down shifting...then I figured you had to use your thumb and push away from the body and not pull towards you...well this also kept downshifting whether I used rt or left hand...hmm.

I tried to read about it with online version of owners manual but it didnt explain this function at all and nothing on youtube either.

Is DS mode the only manual mode???...so whats the tick?...and why didnt BMW just make the paddle shifters like the M3's??!!!!

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5, 135i, 335d, F10 550xi

Ah, nice color combo.
I don't have a problem up shifting or down shifting. I only used it a few times but never had a problem.
So you have a problem up shifting when you use the right pedal?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 12:09 PM   #3
Dan-danGT
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M-Sport

I understand what you mean, the paddles are stupid. it makes sense left for down shift and right for up shift, its took me some getting use to i like to use them as i can use the engine braking.
This is someone on this forum although in another country who can supply a better setup. i.e Left for down shift (-) and right for upshift (+)
as for the DS i like that either on its own or my intervention with the paddles. I think sport mode is alot better than noraml D i found it slow and boring. plus in DS it will stay in the gear you picked unless you slow down to much, where as D drops back into auto mode. if that makes sense
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 12:31 PM   #4
DnA Diesel
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 335d Sport SGrey/Blk/Blk

Mact3333, if you stay in D mode, use of the paddles has a temporary override effect, but will revert to automatic gear selection shortly after if the throttle position is changed.

Unless you pull the paddles from the steering wheel and reverse the paddle switch wiring, you are stuck with pull=upshift, push=downshift on either side. Don't have the link, but search "changing paddle shifter direction", or something like that...shows the pin-outs of the switches and what to move where to alter the function.

When I'm in D, I usually only use the paddles to bump the transmission into the next higher gear for better economy.

In DS, I pretty much let the car shift itself; the DS programming is excellent.

Cheers
D.
      01-20-2013, 02:40 PM   #5
sergiy'd
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 335d

what i noticed is that there is not effect if you use peddles in D or Sports D

the worst is that it shifts for you and there is no control how close to red line you want to get (auto up shift is still in effect)
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 02:56 PM   #6
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport

Garage List
^dont forget, though, that you don't want to be shifting anywhere close to the redline. You should be using the paddles to short-shift at around 4k depending on gear. Personally, I just think the lag takes some getting used to (and knowing not to hit the kick-down), but otherwise I haven't had any issues.

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 02:58 PM   #7
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Btw...love the car, Mact! Just curious, how do you feel about the walnut? I didn't mind it at first but it wore on me over time because my interior is otherwise all black...haven't seen it in person with your interior though.

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 07:34 PM   #8
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRotor View Post
Btw...love the car, Mact! Just curious, how do you feel about the walnut? I didn't mind it at first but it wore on me over time because my interior is otherwise all black...haven't seen it in person with your interior though.
I dont think the walnut goes that well with saddle brown leather myself, but in person it looks abit better than the photos show...would have preferred black leather seats with piano black or titanium trim.

BTW, anyone try putting those Lux H8 angle eye LED's into our cars...damnb I thought it was hard on the M3 but this car might be tougher!...took me over an hr to get them in!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 10:14 AM   #9
Timujin
Major
Rep
Drives: GMC Sierra

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Congrats and welcome. I havent had issues. I pull both toward me left paddle to downshift right to upshift. As mentioned DS mode hold gears. I just used DS mode going up and down Palomar mountain yesterday and had a blast in 2nd and 3rd short shifting. Enjoy!
      01-22-2013, 10:37 AM   #10
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep

haha no wonder I couldnt figure it out..didnt occur to me that both right and left paddle did exact same thing!.......now who think of such a product!

The M3 paddles are needed...rt for up and left for down shift and only allow pulling towards body!

Gotta play with the paddles abit more to get used to them...this car drives like a real BMW , as it feel firmly planted on the ground.

Off topic:

Did my first mod already...LUX H8 angle eye LED's in now...thinking of painted reflectors next...gotta get Sirius radio installed for 500.00!...unreal BMW charges 500.00 for coding essentially, since hardware already in place.

one other annoying thing I found is this, I bought a CPO car and was told no body or paint work...I found overspray on headlight assembly so I called the dealer very annoyed...they said they re-spray most front and rear bumpers on CPO cars to make them look new but the company didnt take the bumper off for the re-spray...pure laziness...they have now been fired by the dealership I bought from...I now have to take it in to autobody shop to get overspray off as it wouldnt look good when I sell the car eventually.

Otherwise, I am loving the car.

One other question for everyone, is there a good way to get scratches off of the burlwood trim?...also, can you repair scuff mark on leather seats by side bolsters on sport seats where many cars get the scuff marks?...thx.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 11:45 AM   #11
Sweattdogg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 M3/09 e90 335d/13 f10M5

Yep easiest and most costly would be to replace the paddles with M3 paddles. That will give you the effect that you are looking for. If you are good with wiring you can modify the paddles you have now. I would personally put on the M3 paddles and keep the others. If you ever sell the car switch it back to stock.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 07:55 AM   #12
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mact3333 View Post
haha no wonder I couldnt figure it out..didnt occur to me that both right and left paddle did exact same thing!.......now who think of such a product!

The M3 paddles are needed...rt for up and left for down shift and only allow pulling towards body!

Gotta play with the paddles abit more to get used to them...this car drives like a real BMW , as it feel firmly planted on the ground.

Off topic:

Did my first mod already...LUX H8 angle eye LED's in now...thinking of painted reflectors next...gotta get Sirius radio installed for 500.00!...unreal BMW charges 500.00 for coding essentially, since hardware already in place.

one other annoying thing I found is this, I bought a CPO car and was told no body or paint work...I found overspray on headlight assembly so I called the dealer very annoyed...they said they re-spray most front and rear bumpers on CPO cars to make them look new but the company didnt take the bumper off for the re-spray...pure laziness...they have now been fired by the dealership I bought from...I now have to take it in to autobody shop to get overspray off as it wouldnt look good when I sell the car eventually.

One other question for everyone, is there a good way to get scratches off of the burlwood trim?...also, can you repair scuff mark on leather seats by side bolsters on sport seats where many cars get the scuff marks?...thx.
FYI, I have an m-sport 335d and my paddles are as described...this explains why your trouble confused me . I was assuming that our paddles were only different aesthetically. Msport would likely be an easier retro than m3.

With regards to the other items in your post...
Lux is indeed a pain on this car.i had the same issue when I bought my car regarding the paint on the rear bumper. I eventually had it redone because it was a poor match. For the burlwood, I would try scratchx or plasticx. Scuffs are tough on leather depending on the depth of damage. I would try the detail & car care forum with an image of the damage.

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 10:02 AM   #13
Got_Diesel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d

i love these paddles cause if i wannt just go into 6th gear or second i can do it with either hand.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 04:16 PM   #14
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep

ok, I am no longer completely confused anymore......it never occurred to me that anyone would make the right and left paddles shifters exactly the same...
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 04:32 PM   #15
jheath
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 X3 28d

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRotor
Quote:

Off topic:

FYI, I have an m-sport 335d and my paddles are as described...this explains why your trouble confused me . I was assuming that our paddles were only different aesthetically. Msport would likely be an easier retro than m3.

With regards to the other items in your post...
Lux is indeed a pain on this car.i had the same issue when I bought my car regarding the paint on the rear bumper. I eventually had it redone because it was a poor match. For the burlwood, I would try scratchx or plasticx. Scuffs are tough on leather depending on the depth of damage. I would try the detail & car care forum with an image of the damage.
So, just to clarify, on M Sport cars it's right to up shift, left to down shift? Has anyone converted a non m sport car to this setup? I would love it as I find the current paddle set up a bit goofy.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 06:42 PM   #16
Sweattdogg
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jheath View Post
So, just to clarify, on M Sport cars it's right to up shift, left to down shift? Has anyone converted a non m sport car to this setup? I would love it as I find the current paddle set up a bit goofy.
I did the conversion. If you already have paddles, just buy the M3 paddles and replace.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 06:48 PM   #17
jheath
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 X3 28d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by jheath View Post
I did the conversion. If you already have paddles, just buy the M3 paddles and replace.
Thanks for the response. So you just replace the paddles, plug and play?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 11:11 AM   #18
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Sweat View Post
Can we get more detail on how it was done...I would do it if I all I had to do was buy new M3 paddles but if you have to re-wire, I would be useless.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 04:49 PM   #19
jiaan13
uʍop ǝpısdn
Rep
Drives: '11 335d, SG/Saddle, ZSP, ZPP

I'm confused here, unless I missed something? My '11 with sports package and paddle shifters (non-M package) downshifts with the left paddle, and upshifts with the right. Is this not normal?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 06:39 PM   #20
igom3
Major
Rep
Drives: 02 E46M3 15 F80 M3 16 X5 35d

Garage List
2016 X5 35d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 E46 M3  [0.00]
His car is 09 with old system.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 06:42 PM   #21
igom3
Major
Rep
Drives: 02 E46M3 15 F80 M3 16 X5 35d

Garage List
2016 X5 35d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 E46 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Can we get more detail on how it was done...I would do it if I all I had to do was buy new M3 paddles but if you have to re-wire, I would be useless.
As far as i know you can only retrofit M3 paddles with 2011 year model with out messing with re-wiring etc..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 07:30 PM   #22
Sweattdogg
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Correct. You do not need to rewire. Process is pretty easy. Park car with wheels absolutely straight. Disconnect battery (MUST DO). Pop out airbag with screwdriver (Youtube it). Disconnect airbag and connectors. Remove bolt holding wheel. Note position of wheel on splines. Remove wheel and take inside. Unplug and remove paddles. Paddles are held by a hex bolt. Newer style or M3 paddles go in same as stock. Installation is reverse of above. It took me about an hour and half to two hours to do the entire retrofit.

All I know is do not have the battery connected when you unplug the airbag or I was told a dealer will have to reset the light and they don't do it for free. PM me if you need any help. While I don't use the paddles much in the winter, they were nice for 2nd gear launches with brake boost in the summer.
Appreciate 0