E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Obd Security Fix Available Now !!!

11-19-2012, 07:08 AM   #111
Gra
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 335d M Sport

Just got back from having mine done by the dealer I bought from.

When I asked what the 'fix' is he said he wasn't allowed to tell me, because if he did, then I might tell someone, then they might tell someone else, then eventually the thieves would find out and they'd find a way around it. Seems the horse has already bolted on that one!

He said (in a very confident manner) that BMW have 'fixed it' and there's nothing to worry about.

Hmmmm....when I asked if I could take my Diskloc out of the boot and leave it in the house he smiled nervously and didn't answer directly....I'll keep using the Diskloc till I'm 100% sure this 'fix' is as good as he thought.
      11-19-2012, 07:23 AM   #112
kenno78
Private
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2funky4u View Post
Been trying to get some movement on my 56 plate 335 and this is the response I had from cust services....any suggestion on how I can move this forward?
BMW UK told me that too. I just rang the dealership and they booked me in.

I suspect dealerships will just charge this back to BMW UK and hence are more willing to take the work on.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 07:24 AM   #113
nealer74
Private
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

had mine done on Friday; was also told it was software update to do with the encryption; took about 15-30mins to do ... roof now doesn't operate with the key .. they said they can sort that out and also offered to relocate the OBD port and put a dummy one in FOC... we shall see...
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 10:33 AM   #114
khurmit
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2funky4u
Been trying to get some movement on my 56 plate 335 and this is the response I had from cust services....any suggestion on how I can move this forward?

Thank you for your further email dated November 16, 2012. I am very grateful for the time which you have taken to contact us regarding the security update we have enforced for certain BMW models.

I can certainly appreciate your concern and eagerness to have this work completed as a matter of urgency. I would like to take this opportunity to clarify that your vehicle has not been one of those identified as prone to this particular method of theft. This being the case, BMW UK has not developed a security update available to you.

I am sorry that you will remain disappointed with this response. I acknowledge that you have conducted your own research onto this matter via the Internet. With regret, the information found on certain forums, although useful can often misrepresent a potential situation. This being the case, we are unable to progress your concerns forward based on the information you have found online.

I trust that this email clarifies our final response. Thank you for taking the time to contact BMW UK
Using the attachments uploaded here, I would demonstrate to them that the weakness they have identified is with the window roll down feature (hence they disable it) and then show them on your car that the windows roll down with the key in the lock, hence the weakness does exist.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 11:54 AM   #115
SO8
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xdrive

Got mine booked in for next week ... they said they can do it while I wait (having checked the model) and that it would take 20 minutes ... I hope I am not there hours later !
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 02:30 PM   #116
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwynMike View Post
Much like it's used to half the time then!!

Might put my GPS tracker in the car and have a laugh!!!
Been in today.
They were nice to the car - got up to 69mph once!

Mike
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 07:46 AM   #117
Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E38 735i SE Individual

Had mine done today; took 1 hour

Visit my (mainly) BMW gallery http://jetone.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 05:49 AM   #118
trinijay
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e92

I had mines done at Croydon BMW

Asked the service desk what does the update do he said " shuts down the obd port when the car is lock. "

I asked you sure its not just to disable the windows via the key hole he said "no "

I just tested it and it's a lie

Your right you can not wind down the glass via the key in the door lock after the update

and the port is still active after you lock the car

I lock my car ( heard the chirps ) but left the window down and waiting for the light by the automatic gear shift to turn off

Reach it and put the cable I do coding with and the light on the plug came on

wtf !!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 07:05 AM   #119
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

At if you try to pull the info out CAS, it will happily give you and that is what you needed to code a key.
      11-27-2012, 07:15 AM   #120
jimpom23
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Mine is in as we speak - as people have said here, they said the fix was to do with the windows dropping with use of the key
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 07:24 AM   #121
RichJ
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: E92 M-Sport 330i Le Mans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinijay View Post
I had mines done at Croydon BMW

Asked the service desk what does the update do he said " shuts down the obd port when the car is lock. "

I asked you sure its not just to disable the windows via the key hole he said "no "

I just tested it and it's a lie

Your right you can not wind down the glass via the key in the door lock after the update

and the port is still active after you lock the car

I lock my car ( heard the chirps ) but left the window down and waiting for the light by the automatic gear shift to turn off

Reach it and put the cable I do coding with and the light on the plug came on

wtf !!!!
Not sure it's a good idea putting this info on a public forum for anyone to read.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 09:20 AM   #122
TripleBlack
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
Not sure it's a good idea putting this info on a public forum for anyone to read.
Its all already on here, besides would you rather we all (BMW owners) went along with this lie so that others and the media wouldnt know the truth, just to help protect BMW?

I'm thoroughly dissapointed by this company now.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 09:46 AM   #123
alzieboy
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E350 CDi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleBlack View Post
Its all already on here, besides would you rather we all (BMW owners) went along with this lie so that others and the media wouldnt know the truth, just to help protect BMW?

I'm thoroughly dissapointed by this company now.
I will 2nd the above quote
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 11:34 AM   #124
RichJ
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: E92 M-Sport 330i Le Mans Blue

I'm resigned to the reality that there will never be a proper fix to this issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 01:23 PM   #125
BarrySt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Yep, my dealer also told me the port is now disabled - clearly the party line from BMW or the dealers best guess in the absence of correct info from HQ
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 08:33 AM   #126
alpina527
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT JZB/FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
I think that is some BS from a dealers somewhere.

There's definitely nothing like that in the COC change.

(correct, 'comfort opening conversion' as it's called, i.e. removing the comfort window roll down)
That was me. It's a fact, not dealer BS
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 08:36 AM   #127
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Just had a call from rybrook warwick to book mine in
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 12:48 PM   #128
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

I have not read this thread fully but I presume this "fix" is to "disable the obd port"?

I am thinking once updated, get the service manager to come and have a look by leaving the window open, locking the car waiting few minutes and then plugging in my inpa laptop and seeing the looks on their faces

Needless to say once updated the obd port will be moving back into its secret location
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 01:23 PM   #129
SO8
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xdrive

My dealer wouldn't tell me what the upgrade did ... why are people so sure it only does the window ?

Lots of things are said on forums ... a lot is complete rubbish ... and a lot is not - how are we to know ??

I will keep using my Disclok for now on the basis the thieves will try anyway even if the fix is a 100% cure - it is going to take them a while to find out they can't nick the cars ... assuming they can't
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 02:59 PM   #130
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SO8 View Post
My dealer wouldn't tell me what the upgrade did ... why are people so sure it only does the window ?

Lots of things are said on forums ... a lot is complete rubbish ... and a lot is not - how are we to know ??

I will keep using my Disclok for now on the basis the thieves will try anyway even if the fix is a 100% cure - it is going to take them a while to find out they can't nick the cars ... assuming they can't
3 months ago my BMW dealer told me there was NO problem with BMW security & he didn't know of any cars being stolen, he told me not to believe everything I read on the internet & the whole rumour was a load of rubbish,
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 02:35 AM   #131
jimpom23
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Because when I asked the dealer what the fix was he said "it will stop the windows lowering with the key which is how the thieves were getting in - they can still smash the window sir if they really wanted" Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 08:20 AM   #132
shortie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i M sport

Quote:

Because people who have had it done have tested it afterwards and have still been able to use their own equipment to access the OBD port. Simples lol

As already said, to prevent this being possible will require more than a software update