E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > ► ► ► Now with PHOTOS (p16) - NURBURGRING TRIP --- 14th - 17th August ◀ ◀ ◀

05-28-2009, 11:19 AM   #45
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 xDrive35d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
You can only get insurace to cover YOUR vehicle, not 3rd party damage.

I didn;t bother and just crossed my fingers... and toes.... and arms... and legs !
Me neither and i had everything crossed - but that was mainly because i was getting the tail end out everywhere with traction off!!
      05-28-2009, 05:31 PM   #46
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_alex View Post
After your previous trip this looks like great fun. But honest opinions please is this really a place for a 320d? (remapped...) Comparing everybody else that goes it's all 330, 335, M3 etc. etc...

And having never been etc..
As others have said, it's driving precision and knowledge that really determines how well you go round the 'Ring, not the speed of your car. Also, I would add that it's the sheer thrill and experience of actually driving around the 'Ring that really surprises and motivates people, regardless of type of car or speed. It truly is an adrenaline rush unlike any other and so bloody exciting once you've done your very first lap!!

Shall I put you down as "Serious Interest" then ?!!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 05:33 PM   #47
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Massiv eexcess with those tho. Scirrocos go like fack.
Yes they do, especially if they're fully race-prepped and driven by a 'Ringmeister!!!
They can be caught and passed though
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 05:35 PM   #48
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Updated

UPDATED - 28 May 2009

Fresh from our weekend away at the 'Ring, I've been asked over and over again when the next Nurburgring trip is going to be

A few of us had already planned a quiet trip away in August, but now that there's so much interest we're going to make it public and extend the invitation to all!!! We are planning to take wives/girlfriends/partners along for the trip too, as some of the girls really want to come along. So don't feel that it's just a boys' weekend away - if you can't get a pass alone, bring the boss too !!

Sooooo.....

• Depart - Friday 14th August, return Monday 17th August
  • 'Ring tickets - these are available on site from the ticket hut. Ticket costs vary, depending on how many you buy... basically, the more the cheaper, up to the €1095 Unlimited Annual Pass.

1 lap = €23
    4 laps = €76
    8 laps = €146
    15 laps = €251
    25 laps = €391
  • Photos - again can be arranged by Jochen@Frozenspeed.com for €75 per car if there's a group of us wanting pics. If you don't want pics, no problem

If you're interested, sign up below either by adding your name to the list or sending me a PM... I'll edit and add to this original post as we go along.

Those coming / serious interest -

Tony (E92Fan) - Booked Eurotunnel & Mercure Hotel
Tim (DerRing) - Booked Eurotunnel & Mercure Hotel
Paul (booforty) - Booked Eurotunnel & Giffels Goldener Anker
Steve (bmwbailey)
Carl (dxb335d)
Ed (ed335d)
James (SerJames)
Jerome (Speedtrap)
Floyd (SoYank)
Marcel (Alpina_B3_Lux)
Will (Willhollin)
Paul (Biscuits)
Viv (vivekk) - Booked Mercure Hotel
Matt (RagingKileak)
Matt (MattOz)
E90Yaz
Ramppo

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 05:46 PM   #49
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Those lap prices have increased since two weeks ago by one Euro. Euro getting weaker?
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 05:59 PM   #50
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
Those lap prices have increased since two weeks ago by one Euro. Euro getting weaker?
It's my commission... ssssshhhh....!!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 06:07 PM   #51
Dino355
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 SB BMW M2 Competition

If anyone needs any help with accomodation and ferry crossings let me know

Hoops will vouch for my knowledge and local contacts.

I do regular tours to and from the 'ring and in my opinion to make the most of the trip and soak up the atmosphere you really do need to stay relatively closeby. Using a 40 mile drive as an excuse to warm the cars up doesn't wash with me! (no offence meant btw)

I go out there regularly and with the type of roads in the area it doesn't take long to get the car warmed up! (unless you stay at the Tiergarten that is - it's only about a minute away! A bit expensive though)

As i said - just my opnion, I don't want to step on anyones toes! Just offering altentives and help

So if anyone needs some decent and cheap accommodation arranged in the area please do let me know.

Oh and I think I might have to join you guys as Hoops needs to learn how to drive his E92 a bit better hehe (only kidding Steve!)

Here is a lap from our last trip
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 06:21 PM   #52
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino355 View Post
If anyone needs any help with accomodation and ferry crossings let me know

Hoops will vouch for my knowledge and local contacts.

I do regular tours to and from the 'ring and in my opinion to make the most of the trip and soak up the atmosphere you really do need to stay relatively closeby. Using a 40 mile drive as an excuse to warm the cars up doesn't wash with me! (no offence meant btw)

I go out there regularly and with the type of roads in the area it doesn't take long to get the car warmed up! (unless you stay at the Tiergarten that is - it's only about a minute away! A bit expensive though)

As i said - just my opnion, I don't want to step on anyones toes! Just offering altentives and help

So if anyone needs some decent and cheap accommodation arranged in the area please do let me know.

Oh and I think I might have to join you guys as Hoops needs to learn how to drive his E92 a bit better hehe (only kidding Steve!)

Here is a lap from our last trip

Nice to see you on here Dino - we met briefly a couple of weeks ago at the 'Ring... Great M3 you have too

I take your point about a 40 mile drive - however, when you've done 25 or 30+ hot laps in one afternoon alone as a pseudo 'Ring taxi (which is inevitably what I do), it's quite a nice thing to have a very easy, gentle drive back to the hotel where the car can cool down and you can hear if there are any issues of wheel bearings, brake pads, discs etc etc But you are right, some of the roads around the 'Ring are fantastic, and worth a drive in their own right. The road from the 'Ring to Mullenbach in particular is epic

Was a good video you shot of Steve as well... and maybe he needs to learn how to drive his M3 better, but with only 15 laps total knowledge in a car, he still pulled away from you in the video... !!!

You are more than welcome to join us out there - it's the best weekend in August to go as all the others are restricted opening hours.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 07:07 PM   #53
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
- it's the best weekend in August to go as all the others are restricted opening hours.
Does that mean all the lunatics will likely be out as well? Present company excluded, of course.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 07:14 PM   #54
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
Does that mean all the lunatics will likely be out as well? Present company excluded, of course.
It'll be much the same as the weekend we went - hopefully with fewer closures though!!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 05:41 AM   #55
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Was a good video you shot of Steve as well... and maybe he needs to learn how to drive his M3 better, but with only 15 laps total knowledge in a car, he still pulled away from you in the video... !!!
Thanks Tone, im sure you're just being kind there though!!!? Im determined to get my lap times regularly under the 9 min mark in Aug - im going to really concentrate on getting the 2nd half of the circuit (after the half ring) lodged better in the memory banks and that should help - mind you with the wife in the car my laps might well be over 20 mins (you've met Louisa, so you know what i mean Tone!!!)
I am in discussions with Dino about an awsome chalet he may have available - only 9 miles from the Ring - so not too far to be a chore or expensive on fuel, yet far enough to easily warm up and cool down the cars etc) - it sleeps 10 people and is split into two sections - i think ideally 4 couples would be a nice manageable number - but equally i'd be happy to share the whole place with just one other couple - it has secure private parking and is completely off the road with car ports etc - and they deliver freshly baked bread in the mornings (how nice is that!!?)
If anyone is interested then let me know via a PM and i will speak to Dino. My wife and i will definitely be taking it if its definitely available - ive seen the pics of it and it looks stunning - so just need to know if there are any people interested in taking a room too. Steve
      05-29-2009, 10:33 AM   #56
Dino355
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 SB BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Nice to see you on here Dino - we met briefly a couple of weeks ago at the 'Ring... Great M3 you have too

You are more than welcome to join us out there - it's the best weekend in August to go as all the others are restricted opening hours.
Was good to meet you out there too fella

I was only joking about Steve's driving! I reckon with a bit of practice he can go so much faster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbailey View Post
I am in discussions with Dino about an awsome chalet he may have available - only 9 miles from the Ring - so not too far to be a chore or expensive on fuel, yet far enough to easily warm up and cool down the cars etc) - it sleeps 10 people and is split into two sections - i think ideally 4 couples would be a nice manageable number - but equally i'd be happy to share the whole place with just one other couple - it has secure private parking and is completely off the road with car ports etc - and they deliver freshly baked bread in the mornings (how nice is that!!?)
As I told Steve this morning the owners got back to me and it is fully booked that weekend

Am working on alternatives though
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 10:58 AM   #57
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
I would be interested also.
      05-29-2009, 12:58 PM   #58
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
I would be interested also.
You'd be very welcome Carlos!! Are you bringing your "better" half with you on this trip?? Ed has also said he will be keen on the chalet too - so we should have a good bunch of us. Lets hope Dino can come up trumps with another chalet. Will keep you informed. Steve
      05-29-2009, 01:04 PM   #59
_KG_
Private
Rep
Drives: C220cdi Sport Estate

Just thought I'd mention as I haven't seen it anwhere else on this thread, that the DTM is at Nurburgring the same weekend you're planning - could be extremely busy.

Would still love to be able to go though...
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 04:37 PM   #60
E90Yaz
Torque Monster
England
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911 Turbo

Hi guys, Im thinking of coming to this trip but i will be in my Celica GT4 track car. I'm wondering if any1 has seen any1 being kickd off the 'ring for having too loud a car?? Apparently they are quite strict on noise regulation.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 04:42 PM   #61
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Yaz View Post
Hi guys, Im thinking of coming to this trip but i will be in my Celica GT4 track car. I'm wondering if any1 has seen any1 being kickd off the 'ring for having too loud a car?? Apparently they are quite strict on noise regulation.
Yes, there have been people kicked off due to their car being too loud. The noise limit is 95dB. Is your GT4 louder than that ?! Sometimes they can be strict, other times especially when it's busy, I've seen loud cars go out on track with no bother... don't know whether they were over 95dB though
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 04:46 PM   #62
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Ive not seen em do any noise testing myself..

Im sure they do though.

Stevie darling, keep me posted.
      05-29-2009, 04:48 PM   #63
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
You not staying in Koblenz now Carl?
      05-29-2009, 04:56 PM   #64
E90Yaz
Torque Monster
England
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911 Turbo

Quote:
Yes, there have been people kicked off due to their car being too loud. The noise limit is 95dB. Is your GT4 louder than that ?! Sometimes they can be strict, other times especially when it's busy, I've seen loud cars go out on track with no bother... don't know whether they were over 95dB though
Oh no thats worrying! I thot the noise limit was 105db like a lot of the tracks in the UK. I've been to brands hatch and got thru that...but it was a 105db limit day and the guy didnt look too bothered...he didnt pay much attention to the meter. Well its not so much the exhaust....its the External Wastegate with screamer pipe that are loud!!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 05:11 PM   #65
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Yaz View Post
Oh no thats worrying! I thot the noise limit was 105db like a lot of the tracks in the UK. I've been to brands hatch and got thru that...but it was a 105db limit day and the guy didnt look too bothered...he didnt pay much attention to the meter. Well its not so much the exhaust....its the External Wastegate with screamer pipe that are loud!!
The noise test is normally done at a constant 4000rpm - as long as the wastegates aren't chattering away on a constant throttle (!) then you might just pass it. Remember that the Nurburgring is not a track - it is a private toll road, and therefore has to abide by the standard TUV noise levels (unless it has special permission for formal races etc)
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 05:39 PM   #66
Ramppo
Cruiser
Rep
Drives: bmw 335 e92

count me in

Hi guys,
As i watching Steve (bmwbailey) going round the track i was hooked, so you can count me in i have to go again.
Last time at the ring i only got 4 laps and we had to leave early(i had to consider my company too) somehow it is more of a boys playground than a girls
I am not sure yet where we are staying probably in Koln if the girls are comeing along, i think they prefer the shops in Koln over a day at the ring.
There are few guys here who are also interested to come one 335 and one -08 mustang so they maid join me.
Looking forward to drive there again and learn more about the track.
By the way Steve i got the wheels fitted
Appreciate 0