E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Canadian iDrive Map Coverage

12-12-2008, 08:40 AM   #1
tomstewartcma
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i with X-Drive

Canadian iDrive Map Coverage

Hi,

I was in looking at the Saab 9-3 XDrive as one contender for a new car. The fine print information on their built-in Nav system stated that it had coverage for 10 metropolitan areas in Canada. The sales manager said that they recommend to their clients to purchase an after market one. This is ridiculous. But as I am likely to end up with a BMW 328xi with iDrive, it made me question the coverage of the BMW nav system. Is it comparable to the retail Garmin and Tom Tom products.

Thanks

Tom
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 08:57 AM   #2
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

The newest iDrive is comparable to the newest TomTom maps. IMO, it isn't *quite* as good, and searching for points of interest is still a little more difficult; but yes, it is comparable. Your BMW will be a 2009/2010, right? If pre '09 the idrive is a little different.

One major benefit of the aftermarket units is map sharing, it keeps the maps up to date. With idrive you get updates whenever BMW comes out with them. It's not a huge issue, but if you absolutely need the newest maps this second, well, go aftermarket.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 09:51 AM   #3
tomstewartcma
Canada
Rep

Smile Thanks

That was exactly the information I was looking for, and yes it will be a 2009 when I make the big decision. Wishing they had the 335d with XDrive but everything else seems to put the BMW at the top of my list. It is the first time I have done so much investigating and test driving and it has been a great learning experience.

Thanks again.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 11:11 AM   #4
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Sure. Which Subaru are you coming from?

I recently drove a 9-3x, one of my customers bought one; it's a nice car. Less understeer than I expected and good power. The build quality seemed quite good too. I wasn't super thrilled with the throttle response/turbo lag and the interior is a little quirky, but overall it was much nicer than I expected. Which other cars are you looking at?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 11:48 AM   #5
tomstewartcma
Canada
Rep

The only criteria I have selected for my new car is AWD.

I have had Subaru's for about 20 years and the last few have been Legacy sedans. Great reliability, good dealer, and reasonable cost for repairs. However I wanted to go more upscale (in terms of ride, power, and toys) with a new car although I admit I have not yet tried out the 2009 Legacy Turbo. I will do that in the next few weeks.

I really liked the look of the Saab 9-3 and it seemed very solid, but like you I found the throttle less responsive than I would have liked and didn't have that feeling of being one with the car. I also test drove the Volvo S60 which had a great ride, excellent power and great handling, to my surprise. Drove the Acura TL but it felt like a big boat with no responsiveness.

Next on my list to test are the Lexus, Audi A4 and, Legacy/Outback. I also want to compare back-to-back a 328 and a 335 to see if the price differential is worth it.

What do you find to be the best reason to drive a BMW.

Regards

Tom
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 01:40 PM   #6
EdmBimmer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 35d

The connection with the road from the steering wheel. I love my BMW for that one fact.
      12-13-2008, 08:19 PM   #7
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomstewartcma View Post
The only criteria I have selected for my new car is AWD.

I have had Subaru's for about 20 years and the last few have been Legacy sedans. Great reliability, good dealer, and reasonable cost for repairs. However I wanted to go more upscale (in terms of ride, power, and toys) with a new car although I admit I have not yet tried out the 2009 Legacy Turbo. I will do that in the next few weeks.

I really liked the look of the Saab 9-3 and it seemed very solid, but like you I found the throttle less responsive than I would have liked and didn't have that feeling of being one with the car. I also test drove the Volvo S60 which had a great ride, excellent power and great handling, to my surprise. Drove the Acura TL but it felt like a big boat with no responsiveness.

Next on my list to test are the Lexus, Audi A4 and, Legacy/Outback. I also want to compare back-to-back a 328 and a 335 to see if the price differential is worth it.

What do you find to be the best reason to drive a BMW.

Regards

Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc88 View Post
The connection with the road from the steering wheel. I love my BMW for that one fact.
He said it. I was like you before I got my 335i, tested just about every car I could think of that was even remotely similar, new and used. Obviously one of the most impressive things about the 335 is the power, but regardless of that it's just a really good suspension/steering setup and feel for a daily driver. My closest competitor at the time was an e46 M3, which was just a little harsh for me for a daily driver. I've had the car almost 2 years now and I still love it, which is rare for me.
Appreciate 0