E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > 2011 Ford Mustang Gets New 305 HP V6, 30 MPG

12-01-2009, 10:06 PM   #1
adrian1480
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435icp

2011 Ford Mustang Gets New 305 HP V6, 30 MPG

Quote:
The new 2011 Ford Mustang is putting the Camaro on notice with two new transmissions and a new all-aluminum 3.7-liter Duratec V6 making 305 HP and returning 30 MPG. Are you ready for the Pony Car Wars?

Here's the thing about V6 pony car variants, until very recently they were the "other" car to the V8 model. V6 Mustangs have long been reserved for high school cheerleaders and overweight middle managers. They were bark with no bite, style with no substance. The Camaro was the first car to buck that trend, offering a very well received 300 HP V6 returning 29 MPG. Of course, at Ford, this kind of challenge was not taken sitting down.

Meet the 3.7 liter Duratec V6, it makes 305 HP and 30 MPG. See, even in the V6 segment the pony car wars are still going. The 3.7 is the first rear-wheel-drive application for this engine family, in simple terms it's a punched-out 3.5 liter, except this one's got some considerable upgrades. While it's still a port injected engine, it's a cast aluminum 60 degree V-engine (replacing the 90 degree outgoing engine) with four-valves-per-cylinder, variable valve timing on both the intake and exhaust with cam's capable of up to 60 degrees of phasing on the intake and 50% on the exhaust. The system operates on oil pressure and the actuators and pressure cavities are integrated with the camshaft bearing endcaps. Keeping parts integrated keeps the engine compact, it's actually smaller and lighter than the outgoing engine while making more power. If you don't care for changing the oil, the new V6 goes 10,000 miles between changes, so that's pretty interesting.

In addition to the new V6, there's a pair of new transmissions. Ford's ditching the iffy Tremec in favor of a manual 6-speed Getrag co-developed with Ford called the MT82. Its claim to durability and smoothness fame is that all gears on all shafts ride on needle bearings. There's also a new auto, an all-Ford 6-speed automatic transmission called the 6R80. It's the same box that goes into the 6.2-liter equipped Ford SVT Raptor with different guts. It's capable of paddle shifters but not so equipped in this application. It also jives with engine controls to do what Ford calls "tip in control" which eliminates gear shift "thunk" by adjusting torque output as the trans shifts.

Finally, just because the powertrain is the big story with the 2011 Mustang V6 doesn't mean there's aren't significant upgrades elsewhere in the car. Standard now are GT disc brakes all around, optional 19 inch wheels, stiffer bushings, bigger stabilizer bar, dual exhaust standard, low rolling resistance tires, and 7% better aerodynamics because fascia tuning, an underbody tray and wheel spats. Anyone who's been in the convertible knew cowl shake was a problem, and as such Ford's stiffened things quite a bit, the 2011 is over 1000% stiffer than the 2010. That's not a typo. The improvements come in underbody and cowl cross-bracing and structural foam injected into the door pillars. 1000%, pretty impressive.

The inside also gets some tweaks, but nothing big, fold down rear headrests to comply with new head restraint requirements while allowing for the option of unsucky rear visibility. The gauge cluster graphics also get revised and there's also a trinkety accessory clip for the passenger sunvisor which allows you to clip in stuff like sunglasses holders or tissue holders or what-have-you. Things we're not interested in.

What we are interested in is the rather off-hand comment from one of the engineers regarding the track pack. Optional on the V6, the track pack turns things up a notch and makes it a track-day special. Said unnamed engineer mentioned there's a distinct possibility the track-pack equipped V6 will not only stick with the V8 track-pack 'Stang, it might even outrun it. Well, we would certainly be happy to test that theory out.
http://jalopnik.com/5408309/2011-for...5-hp-v6-30-mpg

hellooooooo nurse.

Never been a mustang guy (just not sexy to me), but + respect to Ford for their continued strong comeback. Everything they put out seems hit out of the park. Looking forward to seeing the performance numbers.
The credit belongs to those who are actually in the arena, who strive valiantly, who know the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spend themselves in a worthy cause; who, at the best, know the triumph of high achievement and who, at the worst, if they fail, fail while daring greatly so that their place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 10:14 PM   #2
WILLIE92
H20 KING!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328I

i still think they are behind! they should have done all this along time ago!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 10:45 PM   #3
adrian1480
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435icp

who are they trailing at their price points? and in what ways?
The credit belongs to those who are actually in the arena, who strive valiantly, who know the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spend themselves in a worthy cause; who, at the best, know the triumph of high achievement and who, at the worst, if they fail, fail while daring greatly so that their place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 02:08 PM   #4
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

That would really suck to be a BMW fanboy if a lowly Mustang V6 started nipping the heels of your N54 equiped Bimmer. (Sorry, couldn't resist that one)

Yeah Ford's bringing the fight to the whole world now, not just their domestic competition, who they've easily outshined lately.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 03:13 PM   #5
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

The Maro's V6 also puts out 300+, right?

It's nice, yet awkward at the same time, to see these V6 muscle cars actually get a little bit of muscle. Makes no sense to me, as the V6's were for girls, rentals, or people who just didn't give a shit about power; now they're actually somewhat viable in the "get up and go" department....
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 04:02 PM   #6
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yes, the 2010 Camaro has GM's new 3.6 V6 rated at 304 hp. It a 24 valve quad-cam with direct fuel injection...in other words far more advanced than the LS3 V8 in the SS.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 04:38 PM   #7
WyattHerb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

Whoa, news flash! Ford is gonna produce a V6 that matches Chevy's! Groundbreaking!
What is funny is that their current V8 is trying to nip at N54 epuipped Bimmer's heels as it is. Chevy's Cobalt SS(insert SRT-4, Mazdaspeed 3, WRX, Lancer) can hang with it through the traps and blow its doors off through the twisties, the Camaro's V6 has as much HP as their V8, etc., etc.
I admit Ford is doing well but, yes, as Willie said, they are behind. They are always playing catch-up to their competion in terms of performance. In 2012, by them time Ford implements their new powerplants to compete with their competion, their competion will already be busy updating their own powerplants that will exceed that of Ford's. Not since they introduced the Mustang before the Camaro have they led in anything except one thing, albeit probably the most vital thing, sales.
How many different trims of Mustangs are gonna be produced to try to compete with anything Chevy has to offer performance wise? GT, GT500, Shelby GT500, GT500KR, supersnake, Saleen, Roush, blah, blah, blah.
The "Track Package?" Come on.
Ford needs use their current glory to lead, innovate, get it to where people are catching up to them. I've always felt that they are riding their own legend. Whats gonna happen when the all the baby boomers die and that need for nostalgia which helps fuel their sales goes away?
      12-02-2009, 05:34 PM   #8
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Well the new V8 for Mustang will supposedly be a 32 valve 5.0 liter quad-cam V8 pushing over 400 hp. Neither GM or Chrysler will be able to tout that in their "downmarket" pony cars. Up till (soon) you'd have to go way up the price scale for an engine similar to that. (M3, RS4, IS-F, C63, etc), but soon you'll be able to have it in a lowly Mustang GT.

That's pretty innovative...
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 05:37 PM   #9
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

I'll rent one! but I wouldn't mind purchasing the 2011 GT. These thigs are bargains

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 05:43 PM   #10
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon26pdx View Post

Yeah Ford's bringing the fight to the whole world now, not just their domestic competition, who they've easily outshined lately.
Quoted for truth. Lets not forget the V6 stang will be at least 300lb less than the V6 Camaro. Which brings me to ask, wtf is that thing so heavy?

You have the Escape Hybrid that actually gets mid 34mpg selling at around 28k near me.

You have the refreshed Fusion that became car of the year and broke U.S. sales records for Ford.

You have Ford refreshing the Mustang while keeping efficiency in mind.

Today, they released the specs on their attractive sub-compact Fiesta. Honda's FIT should be worried. It achieves up to 40mpg at around 16k.

They still have the worlds best selling truck if not car period, the F-150.

The Explorer is to be totally redone for next year...I mean it goes on and on. Oh yea, THEY DIDN'T TAKE OVER 50 BILLION of tax payers money. Keep up the good work Ford.

IMO, Ford isn't playing "catch up."
      12-02-2009, 05:55 PM   #11
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

All of you applauding Ford's recent accomplishments, need I remind you that they also own the Lions????
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 06:24 PM   #12
WyattHerb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

Quote:
Well the new V8 for Mustang will supposedly be a 32 valve 5.0 liter quad-cam V8 pushing over 400 hp. Neither GM or Chrysler will be able to tout that in their "downmarket" pony cars. Up till (soon) you'd have to go way up the price scale for an engine similar to that. (M3, RS4, IS-F, C63, etc), but soon you'll be able to have it in a lowly Mustang GT.

That's pretty innovative...
You make a good point, very true on innovation, but I hope it produces more than the Camaro's 6.2 liter, otherwise, whats the point if the innvoation it only matches the current generation V8 Camaro hp wise? It's like, oh yeah we're hangin with the Camaro finally! Cut to one model year later ... oh @#&%, Chevy has a quad cam 6.2 liter v-8 with 32-valves per cylinder that produces 500 hp in their SS! (dreaming here)
Like I said, Ford is IMO, "playing catch-up to their competion in terms performance" and "Ford is doing well" and "Ford needs use their current glory to lead, innovate, get it to where people are catching up to them." Apologies that I didn't specify in terms of performance there.
But, yeah, they are kicking ass everywhere else and intelligently got their line of credit before it was the (un)cool thing to do and recently procured a ~$6 billion loan from the Dept. of Energy to turn their brown shit into green goods.
      12-02-2009, 06:46 PM   #13
Ender514
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i

its about time. they've had that same pathetic V6 since 1997
      12-02-2009, 07:09 PM   #14
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

Are we seriously debating OHV vs DOHC again? Who cares if a V8 is DOHC at 5 liters producing 400 HP or a OHV at 6.2 liters producing 400 HP? Just as long as the performance is good and gets decent fuel economy, who cares if the engine is OHV or DOHC?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 08:02 PM   #15
Project1
Bimmer Love
Rep
Drives: You will figure it out...

Quote:
That would really suck to be a BMW fanboy if a lowly Mustang V6 started nipping the heels of your N54 equiped Bimmer. (Sorry, couldn't resist that one)

And I am ok with that...but the fit and finish and quality of materials in that stang will always be lower. The Corvette ZR-1 has amazing power and all that but the interior sucks compared to a base-model VW GTi! Unless they make it more expensive, and we KNOW that will never happen. But I think most Americans buy mustangs/camaros/etc because they are American. Which means they are decently fast (usually just in a straight line) and CHEAP.

I know a lot my family members and friends buy things because they are cheap, and decent, and it's right in front of them. I have one friend who every time he decides to get a new car, he just buys whatever the first thing he drives is (FOR LIKE 10 MINUTES!!!) and says screw it, it's just a car and it's priced right. However, this is not my way of thinking at all. I look and search, and drive, and look more! I thought I really wanted the new Camaro SS, I mean really, it looks great, it has a big engine, I figured it was going to be great! Was I ever wrong! It was brand new with 5 miles on it, but it rattled, squeaked, and felt all plush and squishy. Needless to say, I was disappointed. I think that is what really bugs me about the American brands these days. They may blast us with something so awesome in technology such as this great MPG v6, but they put it in something that is garbage. That makes me sad America! Build a car, build it right, ALL THE WAY, and price it accordingly. Once you step up to a car done right, in my case, spoiled by a 2003 Maserati Coupe' GT, then you will never go back! I am willing to pay for what is truly a great buy in my eyes. If you want an A-B car, buy a used $5k something.

OMG, I just ranted. I am soo sorry guys. I stand on this soapbox a lot with my friends and family, but no one ever gets me. Nice cars cost money, end of story. Back on topic, hurray for American technology though, this seems like a good breakthrough.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 08:30 PM   #16
WILLIE92
H20 KING!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender514 View Post
its about time. they've had that same pathetic V6 since 1997

TRUE! which is why the American auto industry was dead!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 10:45 PM   #17
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
All of you applauding Ford's recent accomplishments, need I remind you that they also own the Lions????
And now they'll go at least 2-14 instead of 0-16. Infinite improvement.
      12-03-2009, 12:16 AM   #18
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
Are we seriously debating OHV vs DOHC again? Who cares if a V8 is DOHC at 5 liters producing 400 HP or a OHV at 6.2 liters producing 400 HP? Just as long as the performance is good and gets decent fuel economy, who cares if the engine is OHV or DOHC?
I do... I do...

lol. but seriously, the weight might come into play
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 12:25 AM   #19
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post
I do... I do...

lol. but seriously, the weight might come into play
Most likely the 2011 Mustang either V6 or V8 will probably outperform the Camaro due to the weight. Though it all depends on gearing as well. Though once the Gen V Small Block comes out( which rumors are saying will be next year), I bet it will be impressive.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 08:43 AM   #20
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampfer View Post
And now they'll go at least 2-14 instead of 0-16. Infinite improvement.
Statistically speaking, yes, it is actually an infinite improvement. One win or 16 wins, it's still infinite. However, their stretch since Millen came in the picture was the worst over that stretch in the history of the NFL I believe. All under Ford's watch. The most horribly mismanaged franchise ever to not relocate.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 10:32 AM   #21
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

If the '11 GT is under $35K well equipped and performs well, it may be really tempting.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 11:14 AM   #22
ChrisV
7er
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1998 BMW 740iL

Garage List
1998 740iL  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattHerb View Post
I admit Ford is doing well but, yes, as Willie said, they are behind. They are always playing catch-up to their competion in terms of performance. In 2012, by them time Ford implements their new powerplants to compete with their competion, their competion will already be busy updating their own powerplants that will exceed that of Ford's. Not since they introduced the Mustang before the Camaro have they led in anything except one thing, albeit probably the most vital thing, sales.
Camaro performance didn't help it stay alive. Sales IS the most important thing for a company.

The whole point of the Mustang, since '64, was balance. Not too much hp (though the '69-70 BOSS 429s had a pile of it), not too much weight, not too much complexity. Base Mustangs were economical sporty cars, easy on the wallet and on insurance, while upper versions were great perfomance platforms to build from. Ford has known since '65 that the V8 Mustangs were merely starting points for their owners, not end points, and not only let the aftermarket play, but had and have a pretty extensive hop-up catalog of their own.

They didn't and don't need to be overly sophistacated to get the job done. there is NO reason for the Mustang to be a Ford badged BMW. None whatsoever, and people (especially kids) that think it should be are really missing the point.

I really don't care about dash strokeability in a performance car. The dash should be someplace that holds the guages where I can see them, and that's about it. Worrying about whose plastic dash feels better to the touch is missing the point of not just a Mustang, but of a performance car in general.

Appreciate 0