E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Rain-X Spot Free Car Wash. Brief Review.

08-11-2015, 04:17 AM   #1
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Red face Rain-X Spot Free Car Wash. Brief Review.

Just picked this up from Walmart...

Used on my space grey e92 with the two bucket method...

My brief review:

Pros:
- Easy to apply / has good coverage. One wet micro fiber mitt will go a long way.
- It really picks up the dirt. Take a look at the mitt and you will see. I don't think I have had the same when using my Meguiar's Ultimate Wash and Wax or any other of the hundreds of wash and wax I try
- Water sheeting is great
- It does greatly reduce dry time. You don't really need to rinse it off but I did and then dried using a waffle weave towel.
- Does not strip existing wax
- Suds are nice if you like your suds
- Pleasant smell

Cons:
- Not the best for any wax properties. After one rain fall you can see the rain spots. Where as with other washes it gives you some level of protection.
- If the weather is hot and you let it dry then you may seem some marks where you have used a towel or other to dry the area. These can be streak like marks and you notice them under a certain light or looking closely.
- Does not really hold up to the Rain-X name. You would expect that it would have some good water beading abilities but there are other washes and waxes that can give you a similar level of beading if not better when it rains.
- This could be a potential make or break factor for some... I used a white micro fiber Meguiar's mitt on my wheels. With other washes it usually comes up clean once thrown in the bucket and then into the washing machine. Not the case this time around. My white mitt is stained grey from brake dust. The dust on the wheels was not even extreme but hey at least the wheels are clean!

Conclusion:
In terms of its wash abilities it is fantastic. For lifting and removing dirt it is value for money. I quite like it. I still have bottles of different washes to get through but for now its my favourite. Purely due to ease of use. It reminds me of Optimum No Rinse but it is not intended to be used like ONR.

Last edited by Soul_Glo; 08-11-2015 at 01:20 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2015, 11:20 AM   #2
ccraig13
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 328xi 6MT

How would you compare it to ONR? I've been using ONR for several years now, but am always open to try new products.
      08-11-2015, 01:26 PM   #3
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

I was reading around on the internet and one guy dipped some micro fiber towels into it and cleaned his car without scratching the crap out of it. He bigged it up as similar to ONR. In that respect it has some small capability of doing the same. Obviously it is not specialized like ONR. I have used ONR on and off ove the years - two variants anyway. I tried it myself with a couple of micro fiber towels and it worked on light soiling. As it dries quickly it does not need much of a rinse or dry time. As said it is not designed for this purpose though.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 03:00 PM   #4
ccraig13
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 328xi 6MT

I still rinse the car even though I use ONR. Just got a foam cannon too!

I mean, if there's a layer of grime on your car and you lay a MF towel soaked in ONR on it, I can't see how it won't still scratch. Even if I rinse first, there's still that layer.

We need a product that melts dirt away so there's nothing left to scratch with
      08-12-2015, 12:17 PM   #5
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccraig13
I still rinse the car even though I use ONR. Just got a foam cannon too!

I mean, if there's a layer of grime on your car and you lay a MF towel soaked in ONR on it, I can't see how it won't still scratch. Even if I rinse first, there's still that layer.

We need a product that melts dirt away so there's nothing left to scratch with
Haha indeed we do!
Appreciate 0