E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Parking Lot Marker = Bumper Damage

07-11-2011, 02:14 PM   #1
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Parking Lot Marker = Bumper Damage

I pulled into the courtyard of my apartment building and parked my 2006 Audi A6. I always pull forward slowly to make sure that I don't go too far over the marker. I even checked after i got out to make sure it was okay.

I came back an hour later and pulled my car out, and as I did so, the cement marker caught on my front spoiler and bumper and ripped the whole front fascia from its place. It's now hanging slightly from the headlight bearings. It was a terrible sound but by the time I heard it, it was too late.

What should I do? I don't think the piece is damaged (it could be bent), just out of place. How much will it cost? Do I need to replace it? Is my condominium responsible for the damage? They just installed new parking markers three days ago, and they are rather high. Maybe I can make them pay for it?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 10:49 PM   #2
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

You are joking right? You drove into a parking marker and you want your condo to pay for it?

Learn to drive/park and pay for your mistakes until then
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 11:02 AM   #3
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
I pulled into the courtyard of my apartment building and parked my 2006 Audi A6. I always pull forward slowly to make sure that I don't go too far over the marker. I even checked after i got out to make sure it was okay.

I came back an hour later and pulled my car out, and as I did so, the cement marker caught on my front spoiler and bumper and ripped the whole front fascia from its place. It's now hanging slightly from the headlight bearings. It was a terrible sound but by the time I heard it, it was too late.

What should I do? I don't think the piece is damaged (it could be bent), just out of place. How much will it cost? Do I need to replace it? Is my condominium responsible for the damage? They just installed new parking markers three days ago, and they are rather high. Maybe I can make them pay for it?
Haha. U want someone else to pay for ur mistake. I don't think you can do anything but pay for it urself.

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 03:11 PM   #4
freshwhite335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991/RR Sport AB

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
This is why I always park my 1 backwards
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 04:43 PM   #5
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

The best trick to parking a german car is to line up the curb or bumper such that the top of it will be 'just' visible underneither the bottom of your side view mirror.

This will result in your car sitting around 5 inches away from the bumper or curb. But obviously, results may vary as your driver side seat height and position may slightly alter your angle of vision.
      07-14-2011, 10:37 PM   #6
TheU
Rep
Drives: 09 Lancer

You definitely won't be able to get anyone to pay for it except your insurance or yourself. Your condominium isn't responsible for bad driving.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 09:26 AM   #7
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
The best trick to parking a german car is to line up the curb or bumper such that the top of it will be 'just' visible underneither the bottom of your side view mirror.

This will result in your car sitting around 5 inches away from the bumper or curb. But obviously, results may vary as your driver side seat height and position may slightly alter your angle of vision.
+100, I do this and it works perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 10:41 AM   #8
SchlauCow
Rep
Drives: Honda M6

lol @ op
no one's fault but your own.
      08-10-2011, 02:51 PM   #9
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Well obviously it was my fault but I was looking for a hard out because I'm not the kind of person who so carelessly lets this kind of stuff happen.

Needless to say, I brought it to the body shop and they repaired it for free. Who knew?

And on top of that, I'm working with the condo association to institute new, lower, rubber parking markers as opposed to the cement ones with the bolts that stick out, which, by the way, are now against regulation because of stuff like this; other people have done this in my courtyard, but nobody has bothered to do anything about it. So I could have made my building pay for it.

I just have to be a bit more careful.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 03:02 PM   #10
adobeee
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X6 M50i

Quote:
Well obviously it was my fault but I was looking for a hard out because I'm not the kind of person who so carelessly lets this kind of stuff happen.

Needless to say, I brought it to the body shop and they repaired it for free. Who knew?

And on top of that, I'm working with the condo association to institute new, lower, rubber parking markers as opposed to the cement ones with the bolts that stick out, which, by the way, are now against regulation because of stuff like this; other people have done this in my courtyard, but nobody has bothered to do anything about it. So I could have made my building pay for it.

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 11:14 PM   #11
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 11:34 PM   #12
cloakster
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 VW GLI

Quote:
Understatement of the year