E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > E90 Suspension Upgrade: Opinions

01-11-2013, 10:09 AM   #23
sle39lvr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976 View Post
Take out the pin and max out camber (struts push all the way towards motor).
How about the tirewear? I found out how to do it, but nervous about tire wear..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 11:02 AM   #24
johnsonlwu
Private
Rep
Drives: F30328i x 2 (yes, 2)

Garage List
2020 bmw 840i  [0.00]
Tire wear on lowered car

I have PSS10s on 06 325i ZSP, installed at 72k.
They sit way too low even though adjusted to max height.
at 88k the rears are worn inside excessively due to 2 degree neg camber.
Sadly its adjusted to min neg camber (!) which measures 1.9.
Daily driver, never tracked.
Front is OK since I have only very little negative camber.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 11:44 AM   #25
robc1976
DIYER
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sle39lvr View Post
How about the tirewear? I found out how to do it, but nervous about tire wear..
Not bad at all...my tire's wore great and improves cornering....with the M3 front bits I was at about 1.4 degrees camber and it is great. Befor this was also maxed out and tire wear was fine.
JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 04:24 AM   #26
sohlman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330iSE

I would not recomend getting coil overs. The 1000's of levels of adjustment gives you lots of oportunity for getting the suspension wrong. Even race teams get it wrong. I did a lot of research into this and came up with the following options

Alpina D3 set up is good making use of SE, Msports and Alpina parts

Hartge does a kit that is softer, but handles much better. They can let you drive a demonstrator to prove it Speak to Birds in Uxbridge

Schnitzer does a kit and again they will have a test car. They guaranteed the kit when i spoke with them and would remove and give a full refund at their cost if i was not happy.Speak to Chris Rositer based in Norfolk

BMW Performance kit has good reviews in the forums

Koni does a magnetic damper kit KSD which gives a great ride and good handling and has good reviews

As for costs the Koni is just dampers at around 600 + Fitting + alignment and would be the cheapest

The alpina would require a bit of research and would be variable depening on which parts you already have.

The Hartge and Schnitzer conversions where around the £1200-£1400 fitted for dampers, springs and fitting and alignment

The BMW Performance kit can be procured on ebay and dealers for around £800 but then requires fitting and alignment.

Out of interest my car is a 330ise and i find it skips at the back, understeers at the front. My feeling is the car has too much rebound damping at the rear and not enough at the front. However i found a very cheap way of improving the skipping. The extra weight of my golf clubs in the dealt with this to some degree. I have yet to change the suspension as it has slipped down the priority list due to having baby's.

Last edited by sohlman; 01-12-2013 at 04:26 AM.. Reason: added bits
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 09:13 AM   #27
sle39lvr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Not bad at all...my tire's wore great and improves cornering....with the M3 front bits I was at about 1.4 degrees camber and it is great. Befor this was also maxed out and tire wear was fine.
What is your suspension height...(compared to stock sports)
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 09:15 AM   #28
sle39lvr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohlman View Post
I would not recomend getting coil overs. The 1000's of levels of adjustment gives you lots of oportunity for getting the suspension wrong. Even race teams get it wrong. I did a lot of research into this and came up with the following options

Hartge does a kit that is softer, but handles much better. They can let you drive a demonstrator to prove it Speak to Birds in Uxbridge

Schnitzer does a kit and again they will have a test car. They guaranteed the kit when i spoke with them and would remove and give a full refund at their cost if i was not happy.Speak to Chris Rositer based in Norfolk

Koni does a magnetic damper kit KSD which gives a great ride and good handling and has good reviews

As for costs the Koni is just dampers at around 600 + Fitting + alignment and would be the cheapest

The alpina would require a bit of research and would be variable depening on which parts you already have.

The Hartge and Schnitzer conversions where around the £1200-£1400 fitted for dampers, springs and fitting and alignment

The BMW Performance kit can be procured on ebay and dealers for around £800 but then requires fitting and alignment.

Out of interest my car is a 330ise and i find it skips at the back, understeers at the front. My feeling is the car has too much rebound damping at the rear and not enough at the front. However i found a very cheap way of improving the skipping. The extra weight of my golf clubs in the dealt with this to some degree. I have yet to change the suspension as it has slipped down the priority list due to having baby's.
So overall, you have nothing against Koni dampers?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 11:58 AM   #29
sohlman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330iSE

Koni's make a great product. I have had BMW's for many years. I have in the past always looked at Bilsteins and eibach springs and this seems to work well with older BMW that were a bit soft and needed tightening up. However now i feel BMW's ride is so hard the tuners i spoke to are now making the suspension softer not harder. Koni's are the OE damper of choice for ferrari and are very relliable in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 01:50 PM   #30
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sle39lvr View Post
What is your suspension height...(compared to stock sports)
Way LOWER....I was on stock shocks with H@R springs and it dropped more than normal....1.5" had to use aftermarket bumpstops to keep from rubbing....got coilovers now....totally different world!!
JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 01:52 PM   #31
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:

Agree with most ofbthe post but coilovers are the best mod I have done...easy to dial in if you dont go crazy trying different combos and do slam your car like a crazy man! I got my BC BR and love them!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 01:53 PM   #32
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:
Koni's make a great product. I have had BMW's for many years. I have in the past always looked at Bilsteins and eibach springs and this seems to work well with older BMW that were a bit soft and needed tightening up. However now i feel BMW's ride is so hard the tuners i spoke to are now making the suspension softer not harder. Koni's are the OE damper of choice for ferrari and are very relliable in my opinion.
Agree with that, koni's are great, hands down.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 03:51 PM   #33
QUiKSR20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 328i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Agree with that, koni's are great, hands down.
Would Koni's & H&R Sports be a good option? (328 RWD Sport package car )?

Not looking for harsh just a tad lower and improved handling. ( same as OP )
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 04:02 PM   #34
sle39lvr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Way LOWER....I was on stock shocks with H@R springs and it dropped more than normal....1.5" had to use aftermarket bumpstops to keep from rubbing....got coilovers now....totally different world!!
The reason I asked for the height was, I think suspension height at chamber goes together. If it's extremely low, a lot of camber would be less effective troublesome than a lot of camber at stock height.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 10:33 AM   #35
zeenon53
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
I am getting these bushing's...easier to install....by buddy likes his better than the M3 bushings (not saying they are better). I am also using the DIY tool below...worked on my buddies very well.

Powerflex:

http://www.bimmerzone.com/product/PW...0-422-E9X.html

Tool:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1278591
Would the powerflex bushing be an upgrade to a M3?
      01-13-2013, 11:51 AM   #36
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeenon53 View Post
Would the powerflex bushing be an upgrade to a M3?
more of a alternative and easier to install, don't know how they ride yet....I am I stalling them in a few days.
Appreciate 0