E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Opinions on which mod next, Downpipes or FMIC?

02-18-2012, 10:31 PM   #1
woptang22
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 BMW M3

Opinions on which mod next, Downpipes or FMIC?

Currently I am running the COBB AP stage 1 aggressive with 93 octane, AFE dual cone intake, and turner motorsports catback exhaust. I am looking to either get downpipes or FMIC. I have talked to a few forum members via private message about these mods, but wanted to get opinions on which mod to do first. I was first thinking of getting downpipes, because I could then go to COBB stage 2. I was then informed that hopefully within the next few weeks, COBB will be releasing Stage 1 + FMIC maps. So at this point Im not too sure which mod would be best to do first. Would performance be better using stage 1 + FMIC, or better getting downpipes to get to COBB stage 2? I know the FMIC is pretty pricey and if I get one it will be Helix. Dps seem to be more affordable for a set of the VRSF downpipes. But Im just not sure what option I should go with at this point. Any opinions would be great. thanks everyone. By the way this is all on a 2007 335i sedan.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 10:34 PM   #2
BES335xi
Colonel
Albania
Rep
Drives: FBO+ N54xi

Garage List
03/07 E90 335xi  [1.00]
DP's for sure. I dont have cobb so i cant tell you much which map or stage to use maybe you can email them or some other members can chime in, but DP's for more power and let the turbos breathe better imo.
JB4+usb | P3 Vent Boost Gauge v2 | BMS OCC | BMS DCI | AMS FMIC | AR xi CL DP's | BT Tool | Edibias/NCSExpert/INPA BMW Coding | Cyba Quad Exhaust tips | M-Tech Rear & M3 Front Bumper | Red Cyba Air Scoops | Blacklines | Vinyl Overlays | ACS Roof Spoiler | Matte Black Grilles | LED Side Mirrors | Rear Euro Fogs | etc..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 10:47 PM   #3
woptang22
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BES335xi View Post
DP's for sure. I dont have cobb so i cant tell you much which map or stage to use maybe you can email them or some other members can chime in, but DP's for more power and let the turbos breathe better imo.
Thank you for your advice. I have talked to a few other members and also COBBs tech support. It seems as if most are recommending the FMIC first. COBB actually said to do the FMIC first being that they are releasing the stage 1 + FMIC maps soon. But theres really nothing to support which would be a better option because the stage 1 + FMIC maps are not released yet. But I guess Im wondering which would have better power gains, using the stage 1 + FMIC, or getting downpipes and using stage 2. So I guess Im sort of confused lol
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 11:04 PM   #4
GmoBmw
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Definitely Downpipes. Thats what I want to get next.
      02-18-2012, 11:11 PM   #5
woptang22
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmoBmw View Post
Definitely Downpipes. Thats what I want to get next.
Not sure if you are familiar with the COBB AP, but in PA we have pretty strict emissions laws. I have been told when you get catless downpipes and use COBB stage 2, the flash prevents the car from throwing any codes due to catless downpipes. But then I hear I will have issues passing emissions because of catless downpipes and may need the Burger Motorsports downpipe fix. So Im not too sure which is true. Do you have any idea how Id get past emissions?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 11:16 PM   #6
GmoBmw
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by woptang22 View Post
Not sure if you are familiar with the COBB AP, but in PA we have pretty strict emissions laws. I have been told when you get catless downpipes and use COBB stage 2, the flash prevents the car from throwing any codes due to catless downpipes. But then I hear I will have issues passing emissions because of catless downpipes and may need the Burger Motorsports downpipe fix. So Im not too sure which is true. Do you have any idea how Id get past emissions?
Ah thats right JB4 has comes with the DP fix so I didnt think of that... ya I would Get a DP fix. Do they Still have the Sniffer test there? Because here in california after 2013 we just have to pass the inspection and they read the codes.
      02-18-2012, 11:20 PM   #7
woptang22
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmoBmw View Post
Ah thats right JB4 has comes with the DP fix so I didnt think of that... ya I would Get a DP fix. Do they Still have the Sniffer test there? Because here in california after 2013 we just have to pass the inspection and they read the codes.
No sniffer in PA as far as I know. I got a few different answers answers about this when I contacted COBB. One person from COBB told me Id have a problem passing emissions with catless downpipes and Id have to remove the downpipes for emissions testing. Then another COBB rep told me that there stage 2 maps prevent the car from throwing any codes due to catless downpipes. So to me, that sounded like I wouldnt need the BMS downpipe fix. But like I said two different people from COBB told me different things, so Im not sure which to believe.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 11:39 PM   #8
GmoBmw
Captain
Rep

Just make it easy. Get DP and just swap them out with your stock when you need to pass smog.
      02-19-2012, 07:58 AM   #9
woptang22
Major
Rep

I guess thats an option, but then every inspection i'd be paying to have downpipes removed then reinstalled. not sure if I want to spend all that money. I guess I better double check with cobb to find out if the access port blocks out any error codes due to catless downpipes.
      02-19-2012, 09:02 AM   #10
bigdnno98
Real Car Enthusiast
Germany
Rep
Drives: 340xi

Cobb stage 2 automatically clears the SES light on your dash from cat inefficiencies. This issue with this is that the emission check the car completes is incomplete. so when they check your ODB port for your emissions check they will get an incomplete code not a pass. I went through this my last dealer visit with my Cobb. Didn't want to take the DP off for service so i just cleared the code with cobb, uninstalled and drove to the dealer. when i picked the car up the SA let me know that they got an incomplete emissions test.... You will need a BMS DP fix to pass an ODB emission test as far as i know. I'm no BMW tech though.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 09:11 AM   #11
woptang22
Major
Rep

hey mike you have been a great help to me so far with all your advice. I was just getting some different info regarding cobbs stage 2 clearing the errors of catless downpipes. so I thought id get more opinions. so even though cobbs unit clears the codes, it doesnt fully allow the car to pass emissions? is the bms dp fix definately needed in order to pass emissions? as you can see, I'm still not sure if I want to do FMIC next or DPs lol I'm driving myself nuts mike.... haha
      02-19-2012, 09:36 AM   #12
Sleeper
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 BSM X5///MC

I'm sure that like most, you'll end up with both anyway. I'd recommend easing into it with the FMIC. It doesn't hurt to upgrade that regardless of what your final plans are. Once you start getting more comfortable messing with your car, I'm sure DPs and an intake will be shortly behind .
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 09:47 AM   #13
woptang22
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
I'm sure that like most, you'll end up with both anyway. I'd recommend easing into it with the FMIC. It doesn't hurt to upgrade that regardless of what your final plans are. Once you start getting more comfortable messing with your car, I'm sure DPs and an intake will be shortly behind .
haha your 100% correct, Ill end up with both. But I actually already for have AFE intake and turner motorsports catback exhaust. So Im just trying to decide what I want to do next, downpipes or FMIC. FMIC is alot more money, so I need to figure out which I should do next. But like you said Ill most likely end up with both at some point. LOL
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 05:25 PM   #14
woptang22
Major
Rep

anyone else have an opinion on what mod would be better for performance at this point? either downpipes or FMIC? and it would bee combined with a cobb tune.
      02-19-2012, 05:27 PM   #15
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Downpipes for more performance. FMIC for more consistency and a little more performance. Let me know if you need help choosing either.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 05:40 PM   #16
woptang22
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
Downpipes for more performance. FMIC for more consistency and a little more performance. Let me know if you need help choosing either.
Jeff I actually planned on getting the downpipes from you. I am just trying to figure out what would be better, DPs or FMIC. I was going to first get DPs from you. I was looking at the VRSF dps. Reason being they are very affordable, and the reviews I have read sound pretty good. I just cant justify spending almost double for other DPs. And when I spoke to COBB tuning they told me to get the FMIC first and that performance would be better with stage 1 +FMIC maps when they come out. But I wanted to ask around here to get more opinions. SO you think I should start with the DPs for better performance and then use COBB stage 2?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 05:44 PM   #17
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by woptang22 View Post
Jeff I actually planned on getting the downpipes from you. I am just trying to figure out what would be better, DPs or FMIC. I was going to first get DPs from you. I was looking at the VRSF dps. Reason being they are very affordable, and the reviews I have read sound pretty good. I just cant justify spending almost double for other DPs. And when I spoke to COBB tuning they told me to get the FMIC first and that performance would be better with stage 1 +FMIC maps when they come out. But I wanted to ask around here to get more opinions. SO you think I should start with the DPs for better performance and then use COBB stage 2?
If you ask a tuner the FMIC is the "better" choice. It wont necessarily provide more power (although it will) but it provides efficiency, the turbo's work less to make the same power, intake air temps are reduced, and by no accident your are less prone to knock and heat soak.

There is no secret in the art of tuning and performance.

When you increase boost you increase heat. When you have a stock FMIC that is inefficient you run into heat soak and power degrades over time, especially in the upper gears and back to back pulls.

To bring back that power lost and have the turbo's work more efficiently you can purchase an aftermarket FMIC with a high effiency core.

None of this information is new or hidden.

Everyone says DP's first because that will allow you to run stage 2, which is more boost, you will have more power, so as long as your not heat soaked.

The correct way of doing it is still FMIC though, you will see me be the outliar here but just like Cobb we know how to tune and know how to keep an engine happy.

The cheap and easy way for more power, albeit not necessarily consistent, is downpipes. The correct way is starting with an intercooler.

There are no ifs ands or buts about it... Pick 1 and pick the other down the road, its not wrong, just different ways of making power.

Will you car hate you if you go downpipes first, no.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 05:49 PM   #18
woptang22
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
If you ask a tuner the FMIC is the "better" choice. It wont necessarily provide more power but it provides efficiency, the turbo's work less to make the same power, intake air temps are reduced, and by no accident your are less prone to knock and heat soak.

There is no secret in the art of tuning and performance.

When you increase boost you increase heat. When you have a stock FMIC that is inefficient you run into heat soak and power degrades over time, especially in the upper gears and back to back pulls.

To bring back that power lost and have the turbo's work more efficiently you can purchase an aftermarket FMIC with a high effiency core.

None of this information is new or hidden.

Everyone says DP's first because that will allow you to run stage 2, which is more boost, you will have more power, so as long as your not heat soaked.

The correct way of doing it is still FMIC though, you will see me be the outliar here but just like Cobb we know how to tune and know how to keep an engine happy.

The cheap and easy way for more power, albeit not necessarily consistent, is downpipes. The correct way is starting with an intercooler.

There are no ifs ands or buts about it... Pick 1 and pick the other down the road, its not wrong, just different ways of making power.

Will you care hate you if you go downpipes first, no.
Great explanation, I think you made up my mind. I currently dont have the money for the FMIC, which will be HELIX when I get it. But something like the VRSF DPs are more affordable. I know they are cheaper then most DPs, but most people have great reviews. Would you also recommend the VRSF DPs? I think thats more in my budget.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 06:17 PM   #19
Beemw335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Downpipes first. ( thats what Ill be doing)

I would skip fmic and just go with meth...
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #20
woptang22
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemw335 View Post
Downpipes first. ( thats what Ill be doing)

I would skip fmic and just go with meth...
I think I am just getting the downpipes first. I think Im going to order now.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #21
E90SoFlo
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

OP just to let you know VRSF is coming out with what they have said is a "affordable" FMIC soon.

GL with your choice.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 06:24 PM   #22
woptang22
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SoFlo View Post
OP just to let you know VRSF is coming out with what they have said is a "affordable" FMIC soon.

GL with your choice.
Thanks for the info. Im sure at some point I will be getting the FMIC and DPs. But I think Im just going to start with the DPs first. Then save up the extra money for the FMIC.
Appreciate 0