E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > This might be the best $10 for your car!

05-21-2013, 09:31 AM   #45
bmvee
MMM
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic777 View Post
I actually just used this yesterday and auto zone said its best to use after every oil change lol
Yes this one has concentrated detergents and some will seep past the rings into your oil, so it is best to do an oil change after.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 04:25 PM   #46
igell
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 x5m

by the way.. its on sale right now at Oreillys - 2 for 1special
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/Ch...FuelSystem0430

so if i put it in to a full tank.. i should do an oil change when that tank is close to empty?

Last edited by igell; 05-22-2013 at 06:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 07:13 PM   #47
bmvee
MMM
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
^ Yes
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 09:07 PM   #48
KMEninety335
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 Monaco Blue 335i xdrive

Garage List
ummmm so random kind of relevant question. I bought the lucas one a few days ago and I tried putting it in my car and the nose is too short to open up the valve in the gas tank and go in so I pushed it open with a pen and let the lubricant in...am i the only one somehow? lol
2010 E90 335i xdrive | Monaco Blue with Black Interior | All Packages except Sport :/ | Apex EC-7 | Active Autowerke Strut Bar | Roc Euro DCI | Roc Euro Hyperboost DVs | aFe Scoops | BMW Performance Exhaust | BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 09:55 PM   #49
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep
Drives: 06 SGM E90, 15 BSM E84

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillionPa View Post
The wear is probably minimal, if you want to be sure, when you change the oil, save some of it is it pours out and send it to blackstone labs for analysis

PEA/Techron is in most top tier gas (probably all of it) but in much lower quantities than the concentrate additive, and that does not cause noticeable wear. It depends on bearing material, piston ring blowby levels, and dilution levels of blowby in the oil volume. BMW engine is fairly high oil volume for engine size, and blowby should be minimal (more so in N54/55), and I am not 100% sure of the bearing formulation.

Keeping that in mind, some cars will have a much harder time dealing with the blowby, and I am not sure how much wear using 2 bottles prior to an OCI will cause to a newer BMW engine, so it is best to be cautious or analyze the oil to find out.
I'm sorry, but who is your source for the claim that PEA's can cause premature engine wear at high concentration?

I've been looking for days for the same information, and I can't find anything about PEA's harming an engine.

All the research I've done is saying it does nothing to harm the engine. Read the attached file as well. See Page 8 where BMW and Techron ran tests for "harm" to fuel system / engine components.

Operating Fluids - Fuel System.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Operating Fluids PDF
Chevron and BMW have run an extensive “no harm” tests with polyether amine technology. When used as directed, it will not harm catalytic converters, oxygen sensors, or any other mechanical components of the engine, or fuel delivery system.

The effectiveness of the additive depends on its presence in the gasoline in large concentrations for short periods of time. One treatment is usually sufficient, but a second treatment (one 20 oz bottle per each, consecutive full tank of gas) may give additional benefits. To keep your fuel intake system clean, we recommend usage at every 3000 miles.

| 3-IM | AA Headers | Eurocharged Stage-3 | BMW PI |

Last edited by DUI Elite; 05-23-2013 at 10:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 11:33 PM   #50
bmvee
MMM
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMEninety335 View Post
ummmm so random kind of relevant question. I bought the lucas one a few days ago and I tried putting it in my car and the nose is too short to open up the valve in the gas tank and go in so I pushed it open with a pen and let the lubricant in...am i the only one somehow? lol
Use a transmission funnel. Walmart sells them for $2-$3. Let us know how it helps your car.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 10:20 PM   #51
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatdane84 View Post
Is it possible to use too much of this? I would think a bottle or 2 every 5k-7500 miles would be fine
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabs4days View Post
Yes, this is a nice way to clean the injectors. But, you need to change your oil after. So only use this before a oil change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 16 View Post
Even though I'm an NA car, I read past threads to only add it before changing your oil because Techron will degrade the engine oil. So if you are one of the guys that do oil changes every 5-7k miles, use the bottle, half tank, WOT, empty the tank, then change the oil soon.

I did do this once after an oil change, I did not notice anything wrong with my car's performance, only that it gave me an extra 20 miles on the tank, after no cleaning for 20k miles I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmvee View Post
Yes that is true, I myself only use Shell, Chevron, or Mobil by order. However the detergents are diluted and does not offer the same concentrations or cleaning power unfortunately.

In my case, it still helps even with using top tier gasoline.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post
Jajajajajaja- same heeeere mang!
Top Tier or nothing mang!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
Do you use it before an oil change?
Quote:
Originally Posted by secretsquirrel View Post
Like someone else stated, you're supposed to run this before changing your oil. Not changing your oil is like washing your dishes in your dirty bathwater. You're cleaning your injectors but then then letting that dirt recirculate through your engine. It may not be enough dirt by the time its diluted by the oil, but why take chances? You're probably better off not using the stuff than using it incorrectly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillionPa View Post
To clear up a few misconceptions here...

Techron and Lucas fuel treatment are not octane boosters, and both work in different ways. Techron has a little xylene and kerosene in it which are high octane, but not near enough to boost a tank even 0.1 octane numbers.

Techron is based on PEA formulation to reduce carbon and clean injectors, Lucas is based on PIB formulation. Techron is a solvent base, Lucas is a lubricant base.

PEA is much more effective at deposit control than PIB, but it costs more, and continual use of PIB in addition to the PEA already in the fuel is more effective at deposit control than the fuel detergents alone.

Since Lucas uses a lubricant base, that is what it is best at, and it does a good job. Techron is almost all solvent, and it does a good job at that. Amsoil PI is also PEA based, but uses a lubricant base with a small amount of solvents. Amsoil is about 1/3 PEA by volume.

PEA will remove carbon deposits very quickly, and also is known to have an effect on lead based bearings, which is why they say to use Techron for a tank, then fill up a fresh tank and change the oil, so the PEA and carbon blowby is not in the oil for more than 1000 miles. Since Lucas is not PEA based, you can use it continuously and have no ill effect.

I use a formulation made from Lucas, Amsoil, and some other stuff, and the end result is about 2oz of Lucas and 1/2oz of Amsoil for every 10 gallons of fuel, which is not enough PEA to cause excessive engine wear, but enough to eliminate carbon deposits in the combustion chamber and keep the injectors clean when used with the Lucas PIB. The dosage is based on both my mpg and oil change interval, to use a total of 1 bottle of Amsoil in the fuel over the oil change interval, this should be taken into consideration if using it as part of a long term fuel additive formulation.

As mentioned, this has no effect on intake valve carbon deposits in direct injected engines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaede View Post
Thumbs up for Techron Full fuel system cleaner. I use this every oil change before the change. Run a full tank of gas with this before the lube job. First time i used it on a vehicle that had around 50k mileage is night and day difference.

Honestly though guys, putting too much of these things into our car will not help. A dosage every single tank is way way overkill. If anything, it'll probably do more harm than good. I am not an expert, but i have read somewhere before that most treatments are not good for our Cats and could destroy o2 sensors if used too excessively.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyperx View Post
Let me ask then. Since I ran a bottle of Techron through on my last tank, but did not do an oil change am I potentially damaging my engine? The few times I have used Techron I have NOT done an oil change after.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreweezy View Post
they recommend using it right before an oil change if you put the product in the oil itself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic777 View Post
I actually just used this yesterday and auto zone said its best to use after every oil change lol
You do not need to change your oil when you use Chevron Techron. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...hlight=Chevron

Also, this will solve RPM shake upon cold start-up. Worked for me and others on this board.

Lastly, since we don't change our gas filters then you should use Chevron techron to clean fuel injectors. Premium gas alone is not good enough. I was using premium gas in my e46 which had a gas filter the size of your forearm and when I changed the filter black oooze came out.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 12:23 PM   #52
MasterWang
Captain
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

I just filled my tank with Techron for the first time,

Should I drive more conservatively or aggressively?
Is it safe to do WOTs with techron in my tank?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 01:06 PM   #53
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterWang View Post
I just filled my tank with Techron for the first time,

Should I drive more conservatively or aggressively?
Is it safe to do WOTs with techron in my tank?
It doesn't matter. Drive it any way you wish.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 05:12 PM   #54
scorppion
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
How much do you guys think it a good injector cleaning will cost? my car is close to hitting 100k and i plan on keeping her for a long time
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 09:19 AM   #55
bmvee
MMM
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorppion View Post
How much do you guys think it a good injector cleaning will cost? my car is close to hitting 100k and i plan on keeping her for a long time
I did it on my mini cooper. I removed them myself and sent it to RC Engineering for $25 per injector. They flow test the injectors before and after the cleaning, so you know exactly which ones were dirty. Also a good idea to somehow mark the injectors 1-6 before you send them out. That will help you troubleshoot and put them back in the same cylinder.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 02:10 PM   #56
WRichieX
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e93 6MT

Garage List
This is interesting. Gonna head to walmart on the way home.

07 BMW 335i E93 6MT (Praying neighborhood doesn't get flooded...again)
04 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT (Flooded)
08 Audi TT 2.0T DSG (Flooded)
03 Subaru WRX 5MT (Flooded)
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 04:00 PM   #57
mariahcarey
Rep
Drives: 2008 bmw 328i e92

would this be useful at 53000 miles?
i have always thought about using this kind of product
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #58
Nhe261
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i 4 door

Talking

Costco sometime has the Techron on sale at $17 a box with 6 bottles, that's a steal. I bought 2 boxes last sale.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 09:02 AM   #59
cxc511
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 328 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxc511 View Post
For those who have used Chevron Techron, how long did it take for you to see a benefit? My engine (N52) runs well overall at 54k miles, gas mileage is good, but sometimes I get a rough idle where it feels like the engine shakes only upon starting the car when it is still warm from recent driving. It is not an issue on a cold start where the idle is at higher RPMs, or after the car has been running and then sits at idle.

Anyway, I saw this thread recently and for $7, I decided to give Techron a try but am only about 50 miles into the tank of gas. Another thought was fuel induction cleaning at the dealership but I am not convinced it is worth the cost. Besides, if my engine had a lot of carbon build up, wouldn't it run rough all of the time?
Since adding the Techron and using the full tank of gas, I have noticed the occasional rough idle mentioned above has improved. I plan to continue using every 3,000 miles or so going forward.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #60
bmvee
MMM
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhe261 View Post
Costco sometime has the Techron on sale at $17 a box with 6 bottles, that's a steal. I bought 2 boxes last sale.
Awesome, but there are different levels of concentrations. The $17 at Costco is the "Pro-Gard" version which has much less concentration than the "Fuel System Cleaner" version. Basically if you're already using Chevron gas, you don't even need it.

If you're looking for the "Fuel System Cleaner" version, I'd recommend going on Amazon. They have 12oz and 20oz versions. It's a much better deal and Prime membership is free 2-day shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...1&s=automotive

Quote:
Thank you for your inquiry. It has been forwarded to us here at Chevron
Fuels Technical Service.

The ProGard and Techron products contain the same chemical additive.
There is but one grade of the Techron product, while there are four
grades of Pro-Gard. The Pro-Gard products are "Clean-up", "Fuel Injector
Cleaner", "Fuel Injector Plus Intake Valve Cleaner", and "Gas
Treatment".

The ProGard products give lower, less effective concentrations. These
lower-concentration packages often sell for less. They have less "keep
clean" and "cleanup" properties. They are also not concentrated enough
to clean combustion chamber deposits. There are only subtle differences
amongst the Pro-Gard products, mostly having to do with concentration.

Techron Concentrate Fuel System Cleaner is the most concentrated and
will clean combustion chamber deposits. There is approximately 100% more
active ingredient in the Techron Concentrate than the Pro-Gard Fuel
Injector Cleaner. The active ingredient is Poly Ether Amine with a
solvent carrier.

A bottle of Techron Concentrate Fuel System Cleaner, when added to
gasoline according to the label instructions, results in an additive
concentration roughly 10 times stronger than the dose in Chevron
gasolines.

If you always used Chevron gasolines, you should be getting enough of a
dose of Techron such that you should not have to purchase the
Concentrate.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #61
MasterWang
Captain
Rep

I went through a full tank+chevron concentrate, but didn't feel that much difference and still have a bit of a rough idle.

My question is, I'm about to pour another bottle of chevron in... is it safe to do a full bottle + only half tank of gas so its less diluted? (20oz chevron + 8gal of 93)
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 02:44 PM   #62
bmvee
MMM
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
I went through a full tank+chevron concentrate, but didn't feel that much difference and still have a bit of a rough idle.

My question is, I'm about to pour another bottle of chevron in... is it safe to do a full bottle + only half tank of gas so its less diluted? (20oz chevron + 8gal of 93)
Give it another go, but I would do the 20oz with a full tank though. Otherwise, it's time to do a intake valve cleaning aka walnut blasting
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 01:00 PM   #63
kaede
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:

+1. Full Tank with 20oz. Also do an oil change after too. If you still get bad idling, do a walnut blast. Good Luck!
08' E90 M3 6MT - DD
13' W212 E63 AMG Wagon
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 01:02 PM   #64
kaede
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariahcarey View Post
would this be useful at 53000 miles?
i have always thought about using this kind of product
Yes. However, the positive effect is a bit more noticably on cars that DO NOT have direct injection. If you're experiencing any rough idling or engine roughness, best to get a walnut blast done and see what happens. Also, change your oil after going through a tank of gas with the additive.
08' E90 M3 6MT - DD
13' W212 E63 AMG Wagon
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 01:29 PM   #65
MasterWang
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaede View Post
+1. Full Tank with 20oz. Also do an oil change after too. If you still get bad idling, do a walnut blast. Good Luck!
Thanks for the reply, but I've read that an oil change after is not necessary?
Techron responded to this issue and pretty much said just make sure you don't use more than 5 bottles between oil changes?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 01:41 PM   #66
kaede
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, but I've read that an oil change after is not necessary?
Techron responded to this issue and pretty much said just make sure you don't use more than 5 bottles between oil changes?
Of course it isnt "required" for you to change it, but i will recommend you to The 5 bottles between oil change (never knew that either) is because they don't want you to use this too much because as i have previously mentioned, on some models or cars it is known to cause damage to the O2 sensors/Cats or something if you use it excessively. Also, why desolve all the buildup and crap in your system only to let it stay in your engine? xD
08' E90 M3 6MT - DD
13' W212 E63 AMG Wagon
Appreciate 0