E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > PROcede V5 2.5 install help? Basic problem regarding software

05-04-2012, 11:31 PM   #1
eamon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 335i, 2010 328i (sold)

Arrow PROcede V5 2.5 install help? Basic problem regarding software

Let me start off by saying if this is too complicated, I may be better off just calling Vishnu over the phone. Just couldn't get a hold of them today for some reason.

I bought a used Rev 2.5 a few days ago off a forum member here and it is supposed to be unlocked.

It was previously driven on a manual 135i, so he said I would have to change the software which is available online to a 6AT for my 335i.

Did a bit of searching and really don't have much of an idea on what to do. Does anyone know how to go about this? Maybe some links would help? I just want to run map 1 with no other supporting mods, if that makes a difference. I think I've got the "physical" installation part down, just need to know how to actually put the software on the device to put it in my car.

Thanks in advance
      05-04-2012, 11:47 PM   #2
zerep1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i E90, 328i F30, 230i G42,

maybe you should check on the procede website

Irub
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 11:56 PM   #3
caliguy562
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

+1 all the info you need is on the website under the download section.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 12:08 AM   #4
eamon
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerep1 View Post
maybe you should check on the procede website
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy562 View Post
+1 all the info you need is on the website under the download section.
I did look under their website. I think found the zip file for what I believe works on my car. All I could find though was how to "update" software while the tune is in your car with the ignition on. I must be off my game tonight cause I couldn't find out what to do exactly. I read something about needing procede software for my computer to run the files and I could not locate this program. Ill take another look at their site in the morning.

Oh and I didn't see anything on the site that differentiated manual drivers and auto drivers for software downloads except for one of the add on features.
      05-05-2012, 12:33 AM   #5
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Everything you need is here: http://procedetuning.com/BMW/n54/dow...downloads.html

You need to first upload the firmware for whatever map you decide upon. If I were you, I would go with the latest 4/23 maps. You first install your firmware. Make sure your laptop is plugged into a wall socket during the firmware update process. Then, upload the 6AT Stage 1 maps.

After you have uploaded firmware/maps, reset adaptations and clear codes. All the info on how to do this is in the Procede V5 User Manual.

Check the user adjustible settings and don't forget about the traction control feature. With stock tires and no LSD, set it to around 25.

THEN, start the car. You should be in Map 1. Push DSC twice (quickly) and the RPM guage will move in increments of 1,000 RPM. 1,000 RPM is map 1; 2,000 RPM is map 2, 3,000 RPM is map 3, 4,000 RPM is map 4 and 0 RPM is map 0. Make sure you are in Map 1. Go for a drive. The Procede will not activate until the oil temp guage reaches 170 degrees. Turn off DSC (one push).

Floor it. Giggle like a girl.
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #6
eamon
Captain
Rep

Wait, so am I supposes to physically install it into my car, then hook up my laptop to update the software? Is it safe to put in the procede even if it has the 6MT maps on it as long as I put it on map 0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
Everything you need is here: http://procedetuning.com/BMW/n54/dow...downloads.html

You need to first upload the firmware for whatever map you decide upon. If I were you, I would go with the latest 4/23 maps. You first install your firmware. Make sure your laptop is plugged into a wall socket during the firmware update process. Then, upload the 6AT Stage 1 maps.

After you have uploaded firmware/maps, reset adaptations and clear codes. All the info on how to do this is in the Procede V5 User Manual.

Check the user adjustible settings and don't forget about the traction control feature. With stock tires and no LSD, set it to around 25.

THEN, start the car. You should be in Map 1. Push DSC twice (quickly) and the RPM guage will move in increments of 1,000 RPM. 1,000 RPM is map 1; 2,000 RPM is map 2, 3,000 RPM is map 3, 4,000 RPM is map 4 and 0 RPM is map 0. Make sure you are in Map 1. Go for a drive. The Procede will not activate until the oil temp guage reaches 170 degrees. Turn off DSC (one push).

05-05-2012, 10:03 AM   #7
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eamon View Post
Wait, so am I supposes to physically install it into my car, then hook up my laptop to update the software? Is it safe to put in the procede even if it has the 6MT maps on it as long as I put it on map 0?

Yes it's fine.

Install on the vehicle.

Download latest software from the link

http://procedetuning.com/BMW/n54/dow...downloads.html

Install software on your laptop.

Plug laptop into procede via USB-Serial.

Open up software.

Read the read me files of the maps.
Install new firmware and maps accordingly.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 11:30 AM   #8
Richurd
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too slow.

I think your procede is vin locked if the seller never sent it back to Vishnu to unlock. The 2.5 always ran v5 so it has been vin locked to his car. Hope I am wrong about this but if not then you might have to send it to Vishnu and unlock for 150.
      05-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #9
eamon
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richurd View Post
I think your procede is vin locked if the seller never sent it back to Vishnu to unlock. The 2.5 always ran v5 so it has been vin locked to his car. Hope I am wrong about this but if not then you might have to send it to Vishnu and unlock for 150.
The seller said it is unlocked. It better not be locked aha. Im pretty sure you can get licensing off the vishnu website so maybe they had already unlocked it? We'll see
      05-05-2012, 01:34 PM   #10
Richurd
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eamon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richurd View Post
The seller said it is unlocked. It better not be locked aha. Im pretty sure you can get licensing off the vishnu website so maybe they had already unlocked it? We'll see
From what I read, think you need to send the unit in to get it unlock. I'm not 100% on that. But most rev2.5 are more than likely vin locked. Best of luck to you.
      05-05-2012, 02:34 PM   #11
caliguy562
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

If the seller didn't send the unit to Vishnu for unlocking, then you will. Just ask the seller. You could have ran a v4 map in the meantime if it was rev2, but not with a rev 2.5.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 01:29 AM   #12
eamon
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post

Just now finished install. It was just horrible because I was following the proper steps, but had some serious software issues and my car became undrivable. After countless tries, it randomly decided to work.
Worked on it on and off since 6, and did end up giggling like a little girl
      05-06-2012, 08:28 AM   #13
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Just now finished install. It was just horrible because I was following the proper steps, but had some serious software issues and my car became undrivable. After countless tries, it randomly decided to work.
Awesome glad you got it working! I've had every version of the Procede for the last 5 years and for the first couple years, I had problems with the install/firmware updates, etc and it was a bit frustrating at times...but definitely worth it when I got it working and set up properly.

Traction control is a terrific feature so hopefully you can practice dialing that in. Also, logging gives you great feedback. Initially, just figure out how to log while driving and then post up the results here. We will help you understand your logs and with that, you can make some tweaks to make it run even better.
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 08:01 AM   #14
sickem
Freude am fahren
Rep
Drives: E90 N54

Garage List
Quote:
yeah PROcede ftw! There are some quirks, like if you are updating firmware and maps it is best to have your laptop plugged in and not on battery as some windows versions will drop comm ports to save battery. If this happens in the middle of a firmware update you'll start the car and it'll appear possessed. Shiv has spelled this out in countless places, but don't do what I usually do which is toss the "directions" aside and just try to wing it!

There is a lot to learn with these tunes and I'm pretty new to this as well. Just be patient, read the read me files and try to absorb as much information from this forum as possible etc. before you start messing with settings etc. because these things are complicated and if you're a noob to tuning like me, messing with your ECU is a bit daunting and requires an understanding of what you're doing.

Ok, off soapbox! GL and be safe!