E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Birds B3 Suspension Review

04-08-2013, 03:40 AM   #1
chappy
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 M-SPORT COUPE

Birds B3 Suspension Review

I received the Birds B3 suspension kit from England one of the high end respected BMW suspension engineers specially revalved Bilstein shocks to his specification only to Birds and bespoke custom spring rate springs
Mike from Prestige and Performance installed the suspension a few weeks back, but Sunday's high speed runs through the mountains over rough sections of roads and corners and very smooth corners,
One word glorious, fantastic the car was as stable as if it was standing still on some rough bumpy road at high speed entering and exiting corners at fast pace, it did not kick out at all when your hit a rut or a ditch unlike the M-sport suspension would be very unstable.
Smooth road you can keep pushing and pushing faster and faster within the limits of course of the rear tyres.
We had a E92 M3 following right behind me in our group and he said my car was a joy to watch going through the corners of some of the bumpy roads it just glued to the pavement and was very very stable.
So I'm as happy as a pig in mud.
The ride is very slightly more stiffer but rides smoother than the M-sport suspension and doesn't crash over man hole covers and pot holes.
A credit to Kevin Birds engineering developing the suspension.

Last edited by chappy; 04-08-2013 at 04:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 06:46 AM   #2
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

I was only thinking about your setup today actually!

What's the ride height like in comparison also?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 06:49 AM   #3
Zen
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post

I was thinking about this as well. Was wondering when will Chappy write a review on his suspension.

Also interested on the ride height in comparison with the M-Sport suspension.
Black Sapphire Metallic | M-Sport | GT-CS 19" Matte Anthracite | BMW Perf. Exhaust | JB4 | AR Design Catless DP | R1 Concepts Cross-drilled & Slotted Rotors | aFe DCI | ER Chargepipe with Forge DV | ER FMIC
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 07:01 AM   #4
kaitan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: The Dark Side VAG TDI Biturbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen View Post
I was thinking about this as well. Was wondering when will Chappy write a review on his suspension.

Also interested on the ride height in comparison with the M-Sport suspension.
do it !!! GB perhaps? lol
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 07:07 AM   #5
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitan View Post
If they werent $2K supplied I would be keen
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 07:30 AM   #6
kaitan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: The Dark Side VAG TDI Biturbo

Quote:
damn!!! would ours fit m3 suspension?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 07:33 AM   #7
Zen
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
whoa, that is pretty much the same price as KW v2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitan View Post
Broke atm as I just got perf grills + bmr angel lights from Stu tonight. Plus need to do an oil change and spark plugs hopefully this week. Next in the pipeline will probably to buy a tune!!! OMFG! ( wheres the empty pocket emoicons? )
Black Sapphire Metallic | M-Sport | GT-CS 19" Matte Anthracite | BMW Perf. Exhaust | JB4 | AR Design Catless DP | R1 Concepts Cross-drilled & Slotted Rotors | aFe DCI | ER Chargepipe with Forge DV | ER FMIC
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 08:12 AM   #8
chappy
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:

The back is about the same as M-SPORT might be about 2mm lower
The front is lower again 10 to 12mm lower than M-SPORT which is a very nice stance with 19'' wheels.
      04-08-2013, 08:16 AM   #9
335i-boy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M-Sport

Nice review chappy. Everything I read about the birds gear is always very positive.

Now all you need is to do a real road test and drive down to NSW so you can flash my 6AT. Should give you a very comprehensive opinion on your new setup .
2008 E92 335i M-Sport | Sapphire Black | Sunroof | Creme Beige | Poplar Grey | Logic 7 | 6AT | 19" AG M359's | Michelin PS4S | LUX V3 | MHD V5 E40 | Steve AZ Walbro inline | Vishnu DCI | BMS CP | AR Design Catless DP's | Forge DV's | Helix IC | (Stock Cat. back) |
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 01:40 AM   #10
riki18
Private
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: Bmw E92 335i

Garage List
Birds suspension

Hallo,

Anyone could compare B16 RC to Birds B3? Had B16 RC but claimed them for a quality, small issue with one damper. Now I am thinking to buy B3. They are great people, always happy to talk to them and they don`t sell what is not good. One bad thing on those is they are not adjustable.
10-12mm lower and 2mm at the rear is perferct combination. Anyone with a picture of the car with B3?

Thank you
EU E92 335i DCT, JB4, COBB, PFT DP, BMW Performance exhaust, Vargas stg. 2 turbos, Wagner IC, K&N, Birds suspension (New B16 ride control for sale), M3 sway bars, Quaife, walbro E85 LPFP, E85 with 100 pump gas,
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 02:47 AM   #11
chappy
Captain
Australia
Rep

I will see if I can take a few shots tomorrow and post them up for you.
At the moment I'm enjoying the suspension setup, just replaced the front Pirelli zero's with Michelin pilot super sports same as the back now.
      05-12-2013, 12:06 PM   #12
riki18
Private
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: Bmw E92 335i

Garage List
Thank you, I'll wait. Would like to be convinced what to buy, Birds or get B16 RC with iRC module. More for Birds Maybe your pics will be the last to make an order for B3
EU E92 335i DCT, JB4, COBB, PFT DP, BMW Performance exhaust, Vargas stg. 2 turbos, Wagner IC, K&N, Birds suspension (New B16 ride control for sale), M3 sway bars, Quaife, walbro E85 LPFP, E85 with 100 pump gas,
Appreciate 0