E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Sac valley member chat thread

05-02-2011, 02:51 PM   #155
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

OMG that was hilarious! "You can raise your hand."
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 03:43 PM   #156
lawwailok
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, E70 X5

Garage List
damn... they really gave you guys a hard time there....
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 06:27 PM   #157
Activ
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Yeah they made it a MUCH bigger deal than needed, but whats done is done. We were super polite to the cops didn't haggle with them and they still almost pulled a gun on us... We were in the wrong though and we understand that, would have been nice to get just a warning and a nice "Don't come back here" statement instead of 8 tickets....

But in other news how was everyones weekend??
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 08:09 PM   #158
skow
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 Gran Coupe xDrive

Man, the police had a bit of an overreaction. If we get a photoshoot going, lets avoid doing that

Syndicat, I'm going to look at signing up for that, do you know of a good place in town to get a helmet at a reasonable price? (I assume it would be best to get a non-bike helmet as some events don't accept them)
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 08:14 PM   #159
frozenfire
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndicategt View Post
Even with meth I'm sure mine are disgusting. I wouldn't mind doing a DIY unless someone can find a shop/tech to do this for under $500.

I just took mine apart this weekend. Wow it is really dirty in there, I'm definetly getting meth now, I was thinking about just getting a JB4 but now I guess I'm going to have to do both ^_^.
If you're planning on keeping your car for a while, I recomend you guys clean it, it is really messy inside, here are some before and after pics of my valves, I just follwed the DIY guide posted by "Rotorocious" real helpful

P.S. sorry for the crappy iPhone pics but i was too lazy to bust out my slr cause i would have had to wash my hands all.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 09:26 PM   #160
lawwailok
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Activ View Post

But in other news how was everyones weekend??

LOL my typical weekends are work, work and work. LOL, i work 24/7... FML.

gonna un-install my COBB and car will be in for service tmr... can't wait to get it back as my ETS FMIC has been waiting in the box since last week =)
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 09:27 PM   #161
lawwailok
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenfire View Post
I just took mine apart this weekend. Wow it is really dirty in there, I'm definetly getting meth now, I was thinking about just getting a JB4 but now I guess I'm going to have to do both ^_^.
If you're planning on keeping your car for a while, I recomend you guys clean it, it is really messy inside, here are some before and after pics of my valves, I just follwed the DIY guide posted by "Rotorocious" real helpful

P.S. sorry for the crappy iPhone pics but i was too lazy to bust out my slr cause i would have had to wash my hands all.
wow, how long did it take you to clean out all 6 valves? how many miles do you have so far?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 10:33 PM   #162
frozenfire
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawwailok View Post
wow, how long did it take you to clean out all 6 valves? how many miles do you have so far?
my car is a 2007, it has ~55k miles, ive had it for about ~6k.

well i spent about 4 hours Saturday and then about 2 on Sunday so far. I cleaned 2 out of 6 valves, I stopped because i didnt have a facemask and the carb cleaner/ seafoam was giving me a horrible head ache. Honestly cleaning the valves is really easy, takes like 20-25 minutes per valve, the most time consuming part is taking everything off. especially because I hadn't yet had much chance to work on my car since i just go it 6k miles ago. it probably took me longer than most to figure out how to take all the parts off. I will also be doing an OCC install and spark plugs, i figure i got everything off anyway. Hopefully I will be able to finish it up this weekend
      05-02-2011, 10:49 PM   #163
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, retired SLK55

Activ,
Nice videos. Both of them. Thanks for the laugh... I mean laughing at the police and how they overreacted. Crazy.

Lawwailok,
Dude, I hear ya. I'm still in Arizona. Haven't had a chance to play with my LSD. Now my ETS waits for me in a box too. Can't wait til the end of May when I'm back and can actually enjoy all the new toys. Shiv's got me thinking about Meth too. I can only imagine how much of a beast I'd have with 430+whp and LSD. WOOHOO!

Frozenfire,
Nice job on the cleaning. I think I'll be doing the same eventually. I'm also considering Meth both for cleaning and power/temps. I'm still torn on the OCC though. So much arguments about their effectiveness and possible pressure loss. I just don't know...
Which brands you going with on Meth and OCC?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 10:58 PM   #164
lawwailok
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbj View Post

Lawwailok,
Dude, I hear ya. I'm still in Arizona. Haven't had a chance to play with my LSD. Now my ETS waits for me in a box too. Can't wait til the end of May when I'm back and can actually enjoy all the new toys. Shiv's got me thinking about Meth too. I can only imagine how much of a beast I'd have with 430+whp and LSD. WOOHOO!
hey Dan, what's up over there? so you won't be coming back til the end of May? that's hecka long!!! yea im thinking about meth setup too, Wil suggested me to try Aquamist which he is running. so with meth and the DIC, you are looking at 430whp? around there? that's a lot man. im lucky if im able to see 380.... since cobb has more tq than hp, it is a tq target tune versus jb4/v5 are hp target i believe. but man, the huge tq really makes me happy everytime my right foot was itchy =)

also, i THINK im pretty dead on at the ML... i think it is a decent SUV with that price... hope i won't regret it, hahahahahaha
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 01:43 AM   #165
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, retired SLK55

Yeah, I'm here for most of the month. I come back every 2weeks to visit but I spend that time with the kids and not the car.

Well, maybe we both meth. Besides, there's really no telling who will perfect their tune first, Cobb or proceed. It seems there's always some sort of hiccup with them all.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 02:08 AM   #166
lawwailok
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah, I'm here for most of the month. I come back every 2weeks to visit but I spend that time with the kids and not the car.

Well, maybe we both meth. Besides, there's really no telling who will perfect their tune first, Cobb or proceed. It seems there's always some sort of hiccup with them all.
true... well, hit me up once you back in town =)
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 09:29 AM   #167
frozenfire
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Frozenfire,
Nice job on the cleaning. I think I'll be doing the same eventually. I'm also considering Meth both for cleaning and power/temps. I'm still torn on the OCC though. So much arguments about their effectiveness and possible pressure loss. I just don't know...
Which brands you going with on Meth and OCC?
for the occ i decided to go with the AR Designs one, it seems a bit pricey but the reviews i have read on it seem to say it is as solid as OCCs go (however i will be researching more into that pressure loss you mentioned before pulling the trigger).
As for the meth, i havent yet done much research on my options. but I will be going the JB4 route so I would most likely get which ever kit interfaces better with it, hoping to do a 50/50 mixture.
do any of you guys have any experience with meth kits? any recomendations?
      05-03-2011, 11:19 AM   #168
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skow View Post
Syndicat, I'm going to look at signing up for that, do you know of a good place in town to get a helmet at a reasonable price? (I assume it would be best to get a non-bike helmet as some events don't accept them)
http://www.thehelmetsource.com/ In Rocklin, I got a full face helmet for $110 I think

Dan lets do our Valves when you get back.
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 11:24 AM   #169
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenfire View Post
for the occ i decided to go with the AR Designs one, it seems a bit pricey but the reviews i have read on it seem to say it is as solid as OCCs go (however i will be researching more into that pressure loss you mentioned before pulling the trigger).
As for the meth, i havent yet done much research on my options. but I will be going the JB4 route so I would most likely get which ever kit interfaces better with it, hoping to do a 50/50 mixture.
do any of you guys have any experience with meth kits? any recomendations?
Here is from my experience.

1. Get a PROcede V5 instead of JB4 - it's much much smoother and has progressive meth mapping.

2. Give Jeff Howerton a call @ http://howertonengineering.com/ he will give you a good deal on an Aquamist kit (ie the best methanol system for our car). I was a test subject for it and have been running it for over 20k miles now. Or you can go with the Vishnu kit when that comes out, it still uses Aquamist parts.

3. I know a Methanol wholeseller in Marysville who sells for $5 a gallon, and there is one near Sac Raceway I think. You can buy Snow's Boost Juice from
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SNO-40008/ for $39 @ 4 gallons, it's a safe 50/50 mix I use for daily driving.

Hope that helps, I can also help with the meth install if you need. Here is my write up http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=428747
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 11:27 AM   #170
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawwailok View Post
also, i THINK im pretty dead on at the ML... i think it is a decent SUV with that price... hope i won't regret it, hahahahahaha
You will love the ML, I have 25k on it with ZERO issues to date. It handles well in the snow and I even took it rock crawling I beat the shit out of it basically. And for roughly $55k you can't beat it when compared to similar SUV's.

I only whish I sprung for the GL 500 because it's bigger or even the AMG ML63 b/c it's badass !
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 11:49 AM   #171
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Gah I think I need to clean my intake valves! All this talk about it has me scared.
      05-03-2011, 12:26 PM   #172
lawwailok
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You will love the ML, I have 25k on it with ZERO issues to date. It handles well in the snow and I even took it rock crawling I beat the shit out of it basically. And for roughly $55k you can't beat it when compared to similar SUV's.

I only whish I sprung for the GL 500 because it's bigger or even the AMG ML63 b/c it's badass !

yea my original choice was X5,, Cayenne, ML, Q7, Range Rover and Range Rover Sport. found out x5 and cayenne's interior are way too cramp, so out of the list. i went to look at Range Rover, that thing is a beauty honestly, but interior...urgh... i looked at a few 08-09 CPO, the interior started falling apart, like climate control buttons are getting loose, panel rattling, creaking... also im not too sure how the Rover hold up for 5+ years, ive read that even though they have improved a lot from the past, but they are still not somewhat reliable. that is going to be my wife's DD so i don't want to get her a car that needs to see service dept every month..

and since my families are repeat customer from MB Sac and i know the manager pretty good, so far they are being the most honest dealership and give me the best deal. haven't look at Q7 yet but the car feels boring and dull to me. my next day off will be Memorial Day and hopefully i can bring my wife to MB on Howe Ave and see if she likes it, and possible go home in a ML =) finger crossed!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 12:45 PM   #173
lawwailok
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Here is from my experience.

2. Give Jeff Howerton a call @ http://howertonengineering.com/ he will give you a good deal on an Aquamist kit (ie the best methanol system for our car). I was a test subject for it and have been running it for over 20k miles now. Or you can go with the Vishnu kit when that comes out, it still uses Aquamist parts.

3. I know a Methanol wholeseller in Marysville who sells for $5 a gallon, and there is one near Sac Raceway I think. You can buy Snow's Boost Juice from
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SNO-40008/ for $39 @ 4 gallons, it's a safe 50/50 mix I use for daily driving.

Hope that helps, I can also help with the meth install if you need. Here is my write up http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=428747
just gave Jeff a call, a very nice guy and he explained very detail on the HS3 system to me, which is recommended on our car with the built in failsafe. they are trying to do the washer tank reservoir setup soon that's something im really set on it. pricing isn't bad at all... down the road i'm sure it is better than keep pumping 100 octane gas and much more cost efficient =)
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 01:43 PM   #174
frozenfire
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Dont mean to thread jack the sac thread but...

Quote:
1. Get a PROcede V5 instead of JB4 - it's much much smoother and has progressive meth mapping.
Hey thanks alot for the input! but what do you mean by "smoother"?
I have been researching the two tunes for a while now (here at e90 post and at the other n54 forum) and my conclusion was that the JB4 was better from a price/perfomance point of view. the jb4 can be had new for ~$550 shipped and comes with 7 maps.
While the procede starts at $695+ and only has one map and each additonal map is $50.00. I am intersted in 4 maps (standard map, an economy map for long travel, a "fun" non meth map, and a meth map).

i researched quite a bit (starting at the "tune comparison chart" thread on here). from the times/dynos that i saw, there was no real difference between them.
is there somethign that I am missing that justifies paying almost 2x the cost?

I did read on a few threads that people did regret not going the procede route but they didnt provide many details that would apply to my situation.

Now I dont mean to start a jb4 vs procede v5 thread (espically in our local sac thread), but how bout a little help for a local, PM's welcome too if you guys would like to prevent thread jacking. =)

thanks
      05-03-2011, 02:07 PM   #175
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I'll be happy to give you my $0.02 on the two tunes since I have owned the JB+, JB3 2.0 and the PROcede V4/V5. I feel my experience with the two tunes is enough to give you an honest non biased opinion. You can also ask DSBJ as he owned the JB3 and is now a PROcede customer also.

1. OK there is a price difference, but in the past the PROcede has many more options than the JB. Not until the last few months did JB decide to put all the other "features" on the tune, it used to be a stripped down basic tune to gain HP. To be honest, the JB4 is a year behind PROcede's technology and I feel like it just copied what was already done (just my opinion)

2. There is an argument that the PROcede is safer as it has better control of the engine/turbo's parameters.

3. After driving both tunes, about 1 year with each. The PROcede is 100x smoother in the way it delivers power. I felt that the JB3 wasn't ment for a daily driven car but rather for a track car. The power with the PROcede is smooth all the way up until redline, whereas, the JB wouldn't really kick in until 4000 RPM.

4. This was the big selling point for me......the meth map. I had my meth kit installed last year and wanted it to be integrated with my tune.....the JB3 simply didn't offer it at the time where the PROcede has auto tuning and meth map switching. I beleive the JB4 finally has meth map switching.

Again it's down to your decision but I wouldn't let a few $100 get in the way of your decision as you already have an expensive investment. I suggest riding in someones car with a JB4 and PROcede to see which you prefer. Also, keep in mind a lot of what I wrote was based on a JB3 2.0 and Im sure the JB4 has come a long way since last year, but again, they are a year behind the times on a CAN based tune (which originally they said they would never use or need).

p.s. - I'm not a fanboy and not negatively talking about one tuner or the other. Both are great products, I just happen to prefer one over the other.

Last edited by Syndicategt; 05-03-2011 at 02:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 03:28 PM   #176
frozenfire
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
4. This was the big selling point for me......the meth map. I had my meth kit installed last year and wanted it to be integrated with my tune.....the JB3 simply didn't offer it at the time where the PROcede has auto tuning and meth map switching. I beleive the JB4 finally has meth map switching.
You got some good points, especially on number 4 for me. I will definetly be doing more research on meth set ups on both jb4 and procede.

Like you said no there is no point in saving a few hundred if I'm not going to be satisfied with the result. And I have read a few people mention they would like to have gone procede.

I'm not planning on doing the tune/meth for another 4-6 months. I've only had the car for about 4 months, and I would like to get a good feel on the car and not rush on anything, also gives me time to save up some cash. But the mod bug does bite quite hard so it may be hard to resist...

Thanks for the help though, I have a better idea of what too look for when searching. Hopefully you wont mind if I shoot a question or two your way as I stumble accross the endless amount of info.

how long have you had your Procede for? is there a quick on/off function for meth? can you just turn it on for a bit while driving and then back off? or do you have to turn off the car and flip switches or what not?

Last edited by frozenfire; 05-03-2011 at 03:43 PM..
Appreciate 0