Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Alignment problem after getting two new tires

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

04-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #1
pwner4once
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Coupe / 07

Alignment problem after getting two new tires

Hi guys,

I am a new BMW owner of a 07 328i coupe.
Got a puncture on right side rear run flats.
I got two new Nitto Motivo in the back and swapped my left rear tire to the front since it had more treads.

However now when I get on the highway(60mph) the car pulls to the left side

Called discount tire and they said the car might need to be realigned due to new tires and it's not something they did. Is this normal ?

Note:
1) My front tire's treads differ by as much as the space between George washingtons head and the letters on a quarter.
2) Inside of my right rear tire were really worn out.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
edirtaynine
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92

your left rear tire (now on the front), what size is that? 255/45? is your other side on the front the same size?

if your car has the sport package, then your wheels/tires are staggered... meaning your rear wheels/tires are little bit wider than your front wheels/tires. you cant just rotate them to the fronts like on a square setup (all same widths in all corners)
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #3
pwner4once
Enlisted Member
Rep

Sry but I don't have staggered tires.
The door label says 225 / 45 17 for all four wheels.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 05:05 PM   #4
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Aren't the Nittos non RFTs? And you are mixing RFTs with them? And you wonder why the car handles strangely?

Alignment is probably not the issue here.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 05:09 PM   #5
marv85
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Aren't the Nittos non RFTs? And you are mixing RFTs with them? And you wonder why the car handles strangely?

Tom
+1
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 06:36 PM   #6
pwner4once
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post

Tom
Yes I have the nitto non RFT.
As far as I know, RFT are just regular tires with stronger side walls.
I guess the tires(RFT vs non RFT) may shape a little differently unde load but even same brand/model of tires are not 100% identical.
Mind explaining the point I'm missing?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 11:25 AM   #7
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwner4once View Post
Yes I have the nitto non RFT.
As far as I know, RFT are just regular tires with stronger side walls.
I guess the tires(RFT vs non RFT) may shape a little differently unde load but even same brand/model of tires are not 100% identical.
Mind explaining the point I'm missing?
Normally, one should avoid mixing tire construction types, tread patterns, and brands on the same car as the differences in traction, flex, heat resistance, etc. can cause unpredictable handling - especially on wet pavement.

Years ago when radial tires first became available in the US, some folks figured they would mount them only on the (rear) drive wheels along with stock bias ply front rubber. After lots of them were unexpectedly involved in tire related accidents, most tire dealers wised up and advised their customers of the safety issues involved in tire mixing.

You might post this question in the E90 Wheel and Tire Forum and specifially ask Gary of Tire Rack to respond as he is much more knowledgeable than I.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 12:38 PM   #8
pwner4once
Enlisted Member
Rep

Tom:
Thanks for the info! I was trying to get more life out of old rft. But I'll probably just have nitto on all 4 for minimum surprises.
Appreciate 0