E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Experience With Magnaflow Cats?

06-19-2013, 10:42 PM   #1
mapleridge
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 N52 AT

Experience With Magnaflow Cats?

After going completely cat less the smell is too much. I can't roll the windows down at stops and with kids and hot summer days. I'd rather do that then crank AC the whole time. Just wondering if anyone has experience with Magnaflow cats and which models are truly "high flow". I have a set of stock cats that I can use but if possible, I would like to throw a high flow version on there.

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 10:52 PM   #2
SDemetris
FSAE Dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi

my friend with a MKV jetta gli has one that he got installed at VAC and he hasnt got any error codes or anything. Do you plan on putting in one after the pipes come together, or two earlier?

1985 Gazelle Beige 325e: Poly everything, e24 3.25 LSD, 225 lb weight reduction, Corbeau FX1, Shifter machined by me, roll bar, harness, all the other goodies. My "Racecar"...15x7 BBS RA
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 11:15 PM   #3
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDemetris View Post
my friend with a MKV jetta gli has one that he got installed at VAC and he hasnt got any error codes or anything. Do you plan on putting in one after the pipes come together, or two earlier?
You know what...I should have thought of that. You mean putting one cat in the single pipe section between the resonator and muffler?

I have another set of stock mid pipes. I was going to mod those with new high flow cats so I could switch back and forth as I liked.

Last edited by mapleridge; 06-19-2013 at 11:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 12:27 AM   #4
Delusive
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bagged E92

Sorry to go off topic but I was wondering did you kill all your cats or just two? I know our cars has four cats and do you have a sound clip of your current setup now?
      06-20-2013, 12:41 AM   #5
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-NA.E92 View Post
Sorry to go off topic but I was wondering did you kill all your cats or just two? I know our cars has four cats and do you have a sound clip of your current setup now?
All 4 cats are gone. Custom headers and the secondaries are replaced with vibrant mandrel bends per the picture.

It smells really bad so now the decision is stock secondaries back in or high flow magnaflows. I just don't know where to place them, how many and which model. Looking for insight.

Sorry. no sound clip. It is pretty quiet. There is a fart sound a certain rpms, but I think it might be the vband hitting the shielding. Other than that. dead quiet.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 02:28 AM   #6
R.G.
Captain
Rep
Drives: Isetta

My advice would be to put the stock mid cats back on
I still have the smell with high flow secondaries but its not too too bad. If your already sick of the smell tho high flows might not mask it enough
Good luck, let us know how it turns out
      06-20-2013, 02:59 AM   #7
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.G. View Post
My advice would be to put the stock mid cats back on
I still have the smell with high flow secondaries but its not too too bad. If your already sick of the smell tho high flows might not mask it enough
Good luck, let us know how it turns out
Thanks RG. Thats the type of info I really wanted. I have my daughters in the back at times and I don't want them to have to smell that at all. I think I will settle on using stock cats.

*edit*

noticed your sig and you used vibrant race cats.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 09:15 AM   #8
SDemetris
FSAE Dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleridge View Post
You know what...I should have thought of that. You mean putting one cat in the single pipe section between the resonator and muffler?

I have another set of stock mid pipes. I was going to mod those with new high flow cats so I could switch back and forth as I liked.
Yeah. I mean it might be a pain getting the O2 sensor way down there, but it might be worth it. If you use O2 sensors at all that is

1985 Gazelle Beige 325e: Poly everything, e24 3.25 LSD, 225 lb weight reduction, Corbeau FX1, Shifter machined by me, roll bar, harness, all the other goodies. My "Racecar"...15x7 BBS RA
Appreciate 0