E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Metallic Ticking noise coming from engine?

05-30-2007, 08:31 AM   #353
e90fanatic
Absolute0
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Has a Roundel

how does this sound? because I do hear ticking noise from time to time but i keep thinking it's from the back somewhere instead of the engine?
      05-30-2007, 09:11 AM   #354
Alex_bm
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Giulia QV

It's kind of metal on metal hitting sound, volume varies from time to time and probably from a car to car as well.
This is not a normal engine sound and it can not be missed, unless you put your radio on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90fanatic View Post
how does this sound? because I do hear ticking noise from time to time but i keep thinking it's from the back somewhere instead of the engine?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2007, 10:03 AM   #355
TwinBoost
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Forgive me for not reading the 17 pages of this thread, so I'm not sure if this was discussed but I spoke with a BMW Tech and they told me that when they PDI the car they Redline it hard. I asked what the purpose of this was, he stated that if they don't do it this way the car will have a ticking noise for the rest of its life.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2007, 10:06 AM   #356
TwinBoost
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90fanatic View Post
Does the ticking sound like this?

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2007, 12:43 PM   #357
ages944
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

A sound file is located on page 3 of this thread. Yours 'sounds' a bit like it, but there was too much revving going on.

Mods: Blacklines | Rear Seat Power Outlets | Rear Fog Lights | Ashtray Garage Door Opener
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2007, 08:22 PM   #358
Alex_bm
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Giulia QV

It's hard to believe that redlining the enginge will fix a mechanical problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinBoost View Post
Forgive me for not reading the 17 pages of this thread, so I'm not sure if this was discussed but I spoke with a BMW Tech and they told me that when they PDI the car they Redline it hard. I asked what the purpose of this was, he stated that if they don't do it this way the car will have a ticking noise for the rest of its life.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2007, 09:45 PM   #359
timber71
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Monaco Blue

I am happy to report that after I had all of the exhaust lifters, and the cam shaft replace in my 2006 E90 at the 13,000 km mark, the sound has not returned. I am now just over 30,000 km, and engine purrs like it was brand new, with no noticeable change in power etc...

Fingers crossed.
      05-31-2007, 04:11 PM   #360
flicks28
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i; 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by timber71 View Post
I am happy to report that after I had all of the exhaust lifters, and the cam shaft replace in my 2006 E90 at the 13,000 km mark, the sound has not returned. I am now just over 30,000 km, and engine purrs like it was brand new, with no noticeable change in power etc...

Fingers crossed.
Congrats!!! Keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2007, 12:37 PM   #361
JRBMW06325
Rep
Drives: 08 328i Coupe 6MT Sport Blk/Bl

Still No fix to Engine Tick

Well Guess what guys, i have the same problem. Int. Ticking from my 325i with 4k on it. Has been doing it since new, i just thought it was normal till now. Went to the dealership this morning. Here is the run around, they said to be honest they are just guessing at what to fix. They have stated that replacing the hydraulic lifters was step one. Most of the time that doesnt work and then its onto the camshaft. After that fails BMW allows them to replace the whole head. WHY go through all this trouble when they should just replace the entire head in the first place?!! And here is the best part, on some cars that have had the entire head replaced....the ticking has returned. No known cure for this discusting problem in sight...awaiting BMW tech and marketing crew to get back to me some time in the next few weeks...this is rediculous!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2007, 12:10 PM   #362
Miami Bimmer06
I got Twiinz
United_States
Rep
Drives: The Ladies Wild

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Well guys it has been a couple of weeks since I have gotten my car back. I am glad to ay that there is no more noise and the engine now sounds like normal. So if you have a ticking noise please take it in, and look at my attachment on page 16, and it will show you all the parts, with there part # that were replaced.
      06-08-2007, 03:24 AM   #363
Phila
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325xi

thanks for the attachment. Every bit of persuasion helps.
      06-14-2007, 08:30 PM   #364
Flavio
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW NA Customer Relations View Post
I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.
Dear BMW Customer Relations Representative,
thank you for your attention. I am currently working with the dealer to trade my car into a 335xi.
I was also called by BMW NA (Ms. Bigelow), which did a survey about my service experience. She was very patient and listened to all my concerns.
She also offered to put me in touch with you and I said it was not necessary at that moment.
So far the dealer has been receptive to my complaints and hopefully it will get resolved soon.

With best regards, Flavio
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 12:19 AM   #365
poppyljg
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

My experience or shall I say luck with my first BMW has not been a good one at all.

I noticed the ticking a couple of months ago and was not pleased to know that my $30k car occasionally sounded like an old cadilllac. I am even embarrased when stopped at a red light because the sound is so loud. I researched this forum and found that others were experiencing the ticking.

I recently took my 325i in for service and to address the ticking. And of course they heard no ticking. The rep told me to immediatley bring in the car when I hear it again. I figured this would happen.

So the next day as I go to get something out of my car, I notice a ding near the trunk area. I immediately called the BMW rep. He tells me that he couldn't locate my paperwork at the moment and he would give me a call Monday (today), two days later.

So I get the call, and he says that he marked the ding as being there when I brought the car in. Now it is possible, but very hard for me to believe as I never noticed it and I go into my trunk everyday. It just seems fishy to me. My paperwork just happen to be misplaced when I called.

Aren't they supposed to give you a copy or even inform you if they document any existing dents or dings? I mean, it is possible to change a document that I did not even see. I just have my doubts.

And to make a long story longer.....when I first purchased the car a year ago, a guy at the same dealership was having an argument with a BMW rep about a dent he noticed after getting his car serviced. Ironic?

And to add to that, the next day, I took my nice new car home just to be alerted by the low pressure indicator. Surprise! You have a nice lil nail in your one day old BMW...and guess what, BMW would not cover it. I did have some luck though, the tire was patchable. And yes, they chagred me to patch it.

I 'm ready to sell it! Day-old patched tire, tractor ticking engine, and a nice new ding. My luck , huh?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 09:52 PM   #366
Flavio
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

325xi is gone

After much debate my 325xi was traded into a 335xi.
Wish me good luck with this one!

Two diferences I noticed: performance and fuel consumption are much better.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2007, 03:16 PM   #367
BMXtreme
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E60 535i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Anyone here got this fixed at Rallye BMW, Long island?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 06:46 AM   #368
Miami Bimmer06
I got Twiinz
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
uuuuuuuuugggggghhhh!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Bimmer06 View Post
Well guys it has been a couple of weeks since I have gotten my car back. I am glad to ay that there is no more noise and the engine now sounds like normal. So if you have a ticking noise please take it in, and look at my attachment on page 16, and it will show you all the parts, with there part # that were replaced.
guess again the damn noise cam back and I am on my way to go and unleash hell on these people, i was gonna buy the car at the end of the lease, but not no more. I am going to push to see if I can get out of my lease, for a new one
      06-27-2007, 07:36 AM   #369
JRBMW06325
Rep
Drives: 08 328i Coupe 6MT Sport Blk/Bl

Still Ticking

I told you guys that they couldnt find a perm. fix for this problem yet. Its a complete joke. Furthermore, I had begun to deal with the ticking problem on my leased car (i too was going to buy this one at lease end...bad idea) but now i have a major problem in the steering. Clicking and binding up, read some posts about the steering column, the racks, spindle and so on. Had the spindle replaced which was leaking by the way, and the noise is still there, now they are changing the rack. BMW N/A has offered no resolution of course even though i feel unsafe in a car with 4k on it which has had its whole steering componenets ripped out of it. The loaner car they gave me, a 12k $ sentra seems safer at this time. Where has the quality control of this company gone to? They had better wake up soon or the japanese are going to eat thier lunch!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 10:00 PM   #370
wp326
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

2200 miles, ticking starts

guess what? i hear the ticking for the first time today. the noise varies with the engine rpm. I work 5min from Fremont BMW, so i decided to take a visit. I was revving the shit of this thing because I have been monitoring this issue and was so angry as hell that I am the new victim, so i said "i am gonna rev you up". I put it in DS and start revving. half way there, the ticking stopped. I showed up at the door of the service dept, it was closed.

Today is wednesday, if i hear again, I am taking this thing to the dealer. BUt the problem is that if i cannot reproduce this ticking at the dealer, no one will believe me. From the posts above, I know that they don't take video/audio recordings as proof, which means i have to reproduce this ticking on demand.

I don't wanna hear this ticking again. Since there are no perm. solutions, as the previous post states, what are our options??
btw, i just bought this 06 330i in February with 13miles. did first oil change at 1600miles.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2007, 12:51 AM   #371
Arrowhead
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

Hey wp326, good luck to you. Also try start the car during the break or lunch time and it sometimes ticks in my case, so you can bring it in be4 they are closed.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2007, 11:10 AM   #372
wp326
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp326 View Post
guess what? i hear the ticking for the first time today. the noise varies with the engine rpm. I work 5min from Fremont BMW, so i decided to take a visit. I was revving the shit of this thing because I have been monitoring this issue and was so angry as hell that I am the new victim, so i said "i am gonna rev you up". I put it in DS and start revving. half way there, the ticking stopped. I showed up at the door of the service dept, it was closed.

Today is wednesday, if i hear again, I am taking this thing to the dealer. BUt the problem is that if i cannot reproduce this ticking at the dealer, no one will believe me. From the posts above, I know that they don't take video/audio recordings as proof, which means i have to reproduce this ticking on demand.

I don't wanna hear this ticking again. Since there are no perm. solutions, as the previous post states, what are our options??
btw, i just bought this 06 330i in February with 13miles. did first oil change at 1600miles.
I made a recording of the ticking this morning, was not as loud as yesterday's, but still noticeable. I called and made an appointment today at 1:30pm. i will show them the video.

extra info: for the last 2 days, i did not let the engine warm up before i drive, for this first day, there was no ticking, on the 2nd day (yesterday) morning, no ticking, then last night, the ticking starts. So, i figured after a night sitting, i WILL hear the ticking again. Yes, i did hear, but had the hood open. So, i let it warm up for 1min, then the ticking disappeared. I have Friday off, but I can't wait to bring it in today. Good luck to me.

Just arrowhead said, I will start the car at noon or something to go to Fremont BMW. I will keep info updated.

I am just pissed. a freaking 40K car sounds so cheap, like it breaking apart from inside out.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2007, 02:39 PM   #373
Miami Bimmer06
I got Twiinz
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
BMW just called me, and they still dont know whats wrong with it, they are going to fly in some technicians from i forgot where so they can check it out, and see whats up. I guess nhow its starting to like like something serious if thet need help from other techs.
      06-28-2007, 03:01 PM   #374
klinkerklu
Respect my Authoritay
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi ED

Garage List
2006 330xi ED  [0.00]
I haven't been keeping up with this thread, bc we haven't had any problems again until these past few weeks. Now I see there is a rash of ticking going on around the Bay.

Maybe we should do a ticking meet, & all caravan into the same dealership for a mass service.
We're about to take it in to SJ for the 1st official free oil change and plan on having them take a look for the 4th time. Seriously considering lemon-ing if they can replicate the problem again, since they've already replaced the faulty lifters and I think we are up to 18 days in the shop total. Since it doesn't appear that they know how to fix this, it could be awhile more in the shop.

I have become kind of disallusioned with BMW, but we still love driving the car when its not acting up.