E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > E90 rear wheel bearing price?

01-26-2013, 10:35 AM   #1
ludinick
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi 4door

E90 rear wheel bearing price?

Hey guys, I have a 2008 328xi sedan and I need to get my left rear wheel bearing replaced. BMW wanted 850 for the job but that seemed absurd. I've never had to do anything like this before so I'm a little clueless. Anyone here have advice?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 11:23 AM   #2
ludinick
Enlisted Member
Rep

Anybody???
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 07:48 AM   #3
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

That seems like it is way over priced. I replaced the wheel bearings on my E30 (DIY) and the procedure is pretty much the same for any 3-series. It is a bit of work and takes some special tools. It requires removing the half shaft and pressing the bearing out of the hub and pressing the new one in, then pulling the halfshaft back into the hub.

I bet any decent BMW Independent shop can do this repair for you at half the price. Shop the job around if you have a few Indy's to choose from.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 02:15 PM   #4
ludinick
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh
That seems like it is way over priced. I replaced the wheel bearings on my E30 (DIY) and the procedure is pretty much the same for any 3-series. It is a bit of work and takes some special tools. It requires removing the half shaft and pressing the bearing out of the hub and pressing the new one in, then pulling the halfshaft back into the hub.

I bet any decent BMW Independent shop can do this repair for you at half the price. Shop the job around if you have a few Indy's to choose from.
How much the bearing cost? Thanks for the reply, that price seemed a little absurd even for a BMW
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 04:30 PM   #5
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

By all means, do not do this yourself unless you have legit mechanical aptitude and confidence.

I have light skill (brake jobs/oil changes/spark plugs) and my father is a master industrial mechanic. I made the mistake of doing a rear wheel bearing with my dad- it was toast, made some noice for a while. Getting the whole rear appart is a bitch- 5 link suspension means 5 things to disconnect, and each one is put on god damned tight. On top of that the bearing would not come out of the hub. Had to heat it up and use an air too to get that bastard out- it welded itself in there. Total fucking pain. The other side was bad too, I paid my mechanic to do it and let him suffer- He even told me what a bitch it was, and he has all kinds of friggen cars from a front engine porche to an older lotus esprit turbo, a 67 chevelle he built and a camaro race car.

Seriously, pay somebody to do it, even if you have to put it on the credit car. It sucks don't let anyone tell you different.

I hope I made my point