E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Official Dynavin BMW E9X Review, Pics, Questions, etc.

01-09-2011, 11:54 AM   #23
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
I saw this item short time ago listed on the JleviSW & Bimmian site for $799. If anyone needs anymore detailed info, video's of install/operation, and their review of the product go here:

http://www.bimmian.com/92/GPS/

They even now offer either a License Plate Light Wired Rearview Camera or a Wireless version

Also saw it at Schmeidmann for $845

http://www.schmiedmann.com/3_series/..._Equipment.htm

But the price of $739 from Car Audio Craze is still the best so far:

I was gonna post if anyone had any experience with this unit as I liked many things about it:
  • Made specifically for our BMW's (albeit only Hi-Fi, no Logic7)
  • Fitment looks perfect
  • Blends well and looks as if OEM
  • Includes all adapters/harnesses to seamlessly integrate into the factory system/CAN (for wheel controls) & uses existing amp/speakers
  • Utilizes factory steering wheel controls
  • Talking Nav
  • Cheapest/easiest answer to BT & Nav retrofit for cars without - instead of the TCU, Mulf2, or full dash w/Nav retrofits which are either very expensive, troublesome install, or both - some with questionable results

Items I thought needed improvement:
  • I agree screen looks somewhat out of sync with resolution of hardware
  • Supplied new ashtray with heated seat button relo looks well thought out and quality mfg. - but only choices are Black & Silver. Don't know how well that is gonna look with my wood console trim. I guess if one were to do the Di-Noc CF wrap of trim that could be wrapped also & would look better
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit

Last edited by 1QuikWS6; 01-09-2011 at 02:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 12:01 PM   #24
Alpine328i
Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: Graduated to a 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamara1984 View Post
A few questions:

1. How long goes this take to boot. I know it has a separate processor etc for the gps vs. audio/video functionality. When I start the car, how long does it take before the radio plays? How long does it take before GPS is ready to go?
2. Does this unit display iPod album/cover art if its available or does it show that musical note no matter what? If it does display album art can you post a picture showing how that looks?
3. How well does bluetooth a2dp work for playing music from your phone?
4. How fast is the GPS? in terms of getting it up and running, routing, etc? Are there options for the voice for spoken directions? Female or male voice?

I wonder if anyone in the Seattle/Northwest area has this yet? I am strongly leaning towards getting this unit but would really like to check if out first.
1. Takes about 15 seconds to get up and running
2. GPS is usually on at the same time by hitting the nav button, if it needs to start up that takes about 30 sec.
3. It does not display album art yet but it is being worked on by Dynavin
4. You can change the voice for directions but there is one, and it is just as fast as most GPS units i have come in contact with, including my EVO 4G.

pkirk-
You can connect any aftermarket amp you would like to the 4channels of RCA outputs and also the 2 separate channels of Subwoofer Outputs.

1quickWS6-
CarAudioCraze also has a coupon code i posted earlier for $40 off i believe. Check the previous pages it should be there somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 12:06 PM   #25
pkirk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
I saw this item short time ago listed on the Bimmian site for $799. If anyone needs anymore detailed info, video's of install/operation, and their review of the product go here:

http://www.bimmian.com/92/GPS/

They even now offer either a License Plate Light Wired Rearview Camera or a Wireless version

Also saw it at Schmeidmann for $845

http://www.schmiedmann.com/3_series/..._Equipment.htm

But the price of $739 from Car Audio Craze is still the best so far:

http://www.caraudiocraze.com/index.p...productId=1526

I was gonna post if anyone had any experience with this unit as I liked many things about it:
  • Made specifically for our BMW's (albeit only Hi-Fi, no Logic7)
  • Fitment looks perfect
  • Blends well and looks as if OEM
  • Includes all adapters/harnesses to seamlessly integrate in the MOST loop & uses existing amp/speakers
  • Utilizes factory steering wheel controls
  • Talking Nav
  • Cheapest/easiest answer to BT & Nav retrofit for cars without - instead of the TCU, Mulf2, or full dash w/Nav retrofits which are either very expensive, troublesome install, or both - some with questionable results

Items I thought needed improvement:
  • I agree screen looks somewhat out of sync with resolution of hardware
  • Supplied new ashtray with heated seat button relo looks well thought out and quality mfg. - but only choices are Black & Silver. Don't know how well that is gonna look with my wood console trim. I guess if one were to do the Di-Noc CF wrap of trim that could be wrapped also & would look better
Great information!

Wondering if anyone has additional information on the wired and wireless cameras? There are no links for info on Bimmian, only to order.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 12:06 PM   #26
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Mebbe I'm just missin it - read thru entire thread, didn't see a coupon code
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 12:24 PM   #27
pkirk
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Mebbe I'm just missin it - read thru entire thread, didn't see a coupon code
Use DYNAVIN. I used it last week for $40 off. Trent at Caraudiocraze helped me out.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 12:27 PM   #28
pkirk
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine328i View Post
2. GPS is usually on at the same time by hitting the nav button, if it needs to start up that takes about 30 sec.
4. You can change the voice for directions but there is one, and it is just as fast as most GPS units i have come in contact with, including my EVO 4G.

pkirk-
You can connect any aftermarket amp you would like to the 4channels of RCA outputs and also the 2 separate channels of Subwoofer Outputs.

1quickWS6-
CarAudioCraze also has a coupon code i posted earlier for $40 off i believe. Check the previous pages it should be there somewhere.
For an amp, are you suggesting a connection at the HU RCA's with MOST bypass, or connection at the OEM amp harness using the supplied MOST connection?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 12:40 PM   #29
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

I didn't read anything in these thread about most

I don't think it does anything with the most loop it leaves it hanging as far as I have read . One poster said the company was looking into a way to stop the errors that were caused from a disconnected most bus from occurring. So far the only way to take care of the Broken Most errors is to mount the OEM Head unit in the Trunk . This also means this unit doesn't work with the L7 system amp as far a I know.

It would be nice is people that put this unit in could comment it they hooked it up directlly to there speaker or went through the stock amp or an aftermarket and what the results were..

Last edited by ctuna; 01-09-2011 at 12:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 12:45 PM   #30
LuvMyRide
Banned
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
2006 E90 Xi  [0.00]
OMFG!!!! This is what Nick from jlevisw was sayin I should get!!!! I am soooooo FKN getting this! I just got off of Car Audio Craze's site.. Closed today.. I left a MSG.. Can't wait to speak to them. Thanks so much for this OP... Can u snap some wider shots in the day light????

Thanks!

Last edited by LuvMyRide; 01-09-2011 at 12:47 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 12:56 PM   #31
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

the other dynavin thread FYI

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...hlight=dynavin
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 01:58 PM   #32
Alpine328i
Noob
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkirk View Post
For an amp, are you suggesting a connection at the HU RCA's with MOST bypass, or connection at the OEM amp harness using the supplied MOST connection?
I would personally go straight from the headunits RCA's and bypass all the stock wiring and amp if you want to make the system completely custom.

The way I have it now is hooked right into the stock harness behind the radio, it doesnt require any other wiring so it is using the stock wiring and harness of my HiFi system.

Also it does NOT work with L7.

I did get a connector that will loop the optical cables to try and eliminate the error but it may be a few days before i can try and install it.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 02:00 PM   #33
Alpine328i
Noob
United_States
Rep

Here is a camera you could easily use and is less than the one posted:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CCD-C...fAudioQ5fVideo
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 02:17 PM   #34
Lafayette702
e92>e46
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 328i

here are some pics i had in my iphone......

here is my quick review ....

great for navi and dvds and bluetooth and radio

could be better for ipod controls and the menus suck. alot of little things has to be fixed

but for $750 and the looks its worth it. kinda reminds me of a Jensen lol
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 02:27 PM   #35
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Well, after reading the other 10 page post and the referral post at E46Fanatics - I can see that in my case this unit would be great for my car.

I have the Business Hi Fi radio

No BMW Assist - so no error there

No Factory BT - so this would be a plus

No Factory Nav - so this would be a plus

No trunk mounted CD Changer - so no problems there

No Factory PDC - so no problems there

No Rear Camera - so this would be a plus with camera option

I do have the factory USB/iPod but never use it as I don't own an iPod (wife does) so losing that function in factory location is no big deal - I can still mount this units' USB/iPod connectors in the console if I wish

Sounds like a win-win for me. I would like to see if they are planning to offer the heated seat switch relo kit in something other than black or silver - maybe CF. I doubt that they would ever offer wood to match all the possible BMW styles due to the cost...

Or I guess I could go with the Metra seat switch relo kit > here:

http://www.metraonline.com/part/98-9306

Which simply replaces the entire ash tray guts (not the cover). You lose the cigarette lighter with that one - but I don't smoke in my car - just have to finally break down & hardwire my radar detector in like I should have (bought all necessary parts-just never did it).

Last edited by 1QuikWS6; 01-09-2011 at 02:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 02:39 PM   #36
LuvMyRide
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2006 E90 Xi  [0.00]
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 04:29 PM   #37
LuvMyRide
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2006 E90 Xi  [0.00]
I'm gonna cotact Car Audio Craze or whatever it is, and see if they'll do some sort of group by?

Anyone looking to do this mod that is ready to commit???

-OP, you are amazing for sharing this! Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 04:43 PM   #38
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
One thing to consider when buying from an online company that 'seems' to have an unreal low price - is the Warranty & Support you will get AFTER the sale. In most cases you may never need either, but if you happen to need support, I'm gonna guess may not get much.

Might be a good idea to contact Dynavin regarding the real cheap supplier and get some info.

This was a good review post - but I have decided that when I buy, it will be from an authorized distributor that has a history of good support after the sale - in fact I already know who that comapny will be
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 04:48 PM   #39
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Also, anyone buying this unit may want to join the Dynavin Forum for tips/tricks/help/etc

http://dynavin.freeforums.org/
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 06:10 PM   #40
number1draftpick
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine328i View Post

pkirk-

1quickWS6-
I just want to double check on this so that I understand correctly. From the time that I put the key into my car until the time that the radio/ipod starts playing is 15 seconds?

This seems really long. I thought that having a separate processor etc for the audio functions would mean that the long boot required for the nav would not be an issue. I really want something where the radio will be on as soon as I turn on the car...just as in my factory player.

That could be the deal breaker for me, because the main focus for me (aside from a stock look) is great audio without any delay.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 11:06 PM   #41
LuvMyRide
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2006 E90 Xi  [0.00]
And does this have and aux jack??? I don't see 1.. And if not will I be able to use my existing aux jack?? I don't see a "source" button. Maybe that funtion is in the menu or "band" button. OP?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 02:33 AM   #42
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Holy crap! You can really get into the guts of this thing (Navigation side) if you want to. Over at the E46Fanatics forum there are multiple threads just dedicated to changing the skins on the Nav, customizing with different voices, you can even add your name into the Nav files to have the Nav voice personalize it's comments...

There is a wealth of info on this unit over at E46Fanatics
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 10:08 AM   #43
Alpine328i
Noob
United_States
Rep

Quote:
One thing to consider when buying from an online company that 'seems' to have an unreal low price - is the Warranty & Support you will get AFTER the sale. In most cases you may never need either, but if you happen to need support, I'm gonna guess may not get much.

Might be a good idea to contact Dynavin regarding the real cheap supplier and get some info.

This was a good review post - but I have decided that when I buy, it will be from an authorized distributor that has a history of good support after the sale - in fact I already know who that comapny will be
Before i purchased i contacted Dynavin directly and they referred me to Car Audio Craze and Trent specifically. After speaking with him he told me they have been dealing with Dynavin for about two years now and were one of the first Dynavin Authorized resellers in the US.

Just to be sure i did a google for "caraudiocraze trent" and came up with numerous things about their good service with the Dynavin customers.

I re-timed the startup and its 8 seconds or less from pushing start to music playing!

I am sure they would be willing to do a GB as i found threads on other GB's they have done for Audi units and such.

There are Aux inputs in the back that you can run extension cables to wherever in the form of RCA's and also a USB!

Hope that helps guys, keep the questions coming if you have more!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 10:36 AM   #44
pkirk
Private First Class
Rep

Alpine, just to better understand the AUX connection, is it possible to connect the OEM AUX that attaches to the OEM HU? I am interested in utilizing the OEM AUX connection in my console without rerouting any wires.

Did you make this connection with your unit?
Appreciate 0