Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Bent my rims...had them fixed...something not quite right...

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

02-24-2011, 10:43 PM   #1
vantage_coupe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Arrow Bent my rims...had them fixed...something not quite right...

Hey guys,

I bent one of my winter wheels on this massive pothole on the highway (unavoidable and poorly lit section of the highway).

So I had my winters pulled.....swapped in my summers temporarily and had my one rim straightened/re-mounted/balanced (It was the only one that was noticeably bent).

Now that I have my winters back on I get a slight vibration/dragging feeling when I do over 90km/h. In the city it's not noticeable and the car feels fine but as soon as I do over 80km/h it feels like the wheel isn't balanced or maybe another rim is bent...?

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to check out before I have my mechanic do a test drive?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 11:00 PM   #2
Coolieman1220
Banned
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

rebalance all the wheels. try that.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 07:26 AM   #3
vantage_coupe
First Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah after a good night's sleep I realize it probably isn't anything other than the need for a re-balance.

Thx
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 07:36 AM   #4
jt335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i Monaco blue

If you still have vibration after rebalancing, then you may have to get a new rim because, even though it's been repaired, is no longer back at it's original spec.
The shop that repaired it would have to have done a very very precise job of restraightening it to exactly the way it was before it was damaged.
1983 Mercedes Benz 380SL Roadster
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 08:46 AM   #5
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt335i View Post
If you still have vibration after rebalancing, then you may have to get a new rim because, even though it's been repaired, is no longer back at it's original spec.
The shop that repaired it would have to have done a very very precise job of restraightening it to exactly the way it was before it was damaged.
Yes. Even the slightest imperfection in the mending of a rim can still show, mainly at higher speeds. Its probably best to get a new wheel, instead. Unless it isn't bothering you that much.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 08:47 AM   #6
pwhipple06
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90 330xi

I had this experience too. For me the actual problem was the tire. One of the tires was screwed up...I think one of the metal belts inside was broken. I went through a lot of BS and had my "bent" wheel fixed twice, had an alignment done AND rebalanced. Drove around for 4 months with a light vibration/shake. The tire had abnormal wear so I had a new set of rubbers put on the car and BAM! Shake disappeared. The tire guy said that it was probably the tire itself. Thats just my .02! Good luck with this!

'95 4.0 V6 Explorer 160 hp (Sold) '98 2.9 I6 S90 181 hp (Totaled)
'93 7.3 V8 F350 Dually 360 lb·ft (Current) '06 3.0 I6 E90 330xi 255 hp (Current)

E9x Pic Game: 3pt : Gone fishin', Gone Campin', TDF Honorin'
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 09:07 AM   #7
TheRox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantage_coupe View Post
Hey guys,

I bent one of my winter wheels on this massive pothole on the highway (unavoidable and poorly lit section of the highway).

So I had my winters pulled.....swapped in my summers temporarily and had my one rim straightened/re-mounted/balanced (It was the only one that was noticeably bent).

Now that I have my winters back on I get a slight vibration/dragging feeling when I do over 90km/h. In the city it's not noticeable and the car feels fine but as soon as I do over 80km/h it feels like the wheel isn't balanced or maybe another rim is bent...?

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to check out before I have my mechanic do a test drive?

Toronto really is a POS city. I JUST had the same experience.

I was passing through the tunnel from University Ave to the Gardiner entrance...going through the tunnel...I hit this MASSIVE not even pothole...this massive rectangular crater in the ground...like WTF are they thinking? It had to be road work...but near the entrance to the gardiner...thats BS.

I was in the right lane under the tunnel...anyways bent my rial salerno rim(s) and car is shaking.

I have to drive 700 km before I can put my all seasons on.

You think the suspension will take much damage over 700 km of highway driving? I'll try to find the sweet spot where virbations are best (ie. new balance point)...and I've rotated the bent wheel to the rear passenger side.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 03:02 PM   #8
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
I would bring the wheel/tires to a shop that offers Road Force Balancing. Going this route will be able to determine whether you have a out of balance tire or out of round wheel.

-Charles@VMRWheels
      02-26-2011, 11:35 AM   #9
vantage_coupe
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt335i View Post
I highly doubt the rim itself is ruined as the bend as the shop assured me it would be fine after the fix. After reading a few less than stellar reviews online about them now I'm almost thinking they just straightened it without balancing the wheel after? (was part of the charges though?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian III View Post
Yes. Even the slightest imperfection in the mending of a rim can still show, mainly at higher speeds. Its probably best to get a new wheel, instead. Unless it isn't bothering you that much.
It doesn't bother me at all but I don't want to wear out other expensive parts. I love my 335 and I've heard I could wear out the wheel bearings and other suspension components?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwhipple06 View Post
I had this experience too. For me the actual problem was the tire. One of the tires was screwed up...I think one of the metal belts inside was broken. I went through a lot of BS and had my "bent" wheel fixed twice, had an alignment done AND rebalanced. Drove around for 4 months with a light vibration/shake. The tire had abnormal wear so I had a new set of rubbers put on the car and BAM! Shake disappeared. The tire guy said that it was probably the tire itself. Thats just my .02! Good luck with this!
That might work...but a very expensive fix. I just find it funny that this happened with my 17s while I've hit massive potholes in my 19s with 30 sidewall and walked away without a massive bend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRox View Post
Toronto really is a POS city. I JUST had the same experience.

I was passing through the tunnel from University Ave to the Gardiner entrance...going through the tunnel...I hit this MASSIVE not even pothole...this massive rectangular crater in the ground...like WTF are they thinking? It had to be road work...but near the entrance to the gardiner...thats BS.

I was in the right lane under the tunnel...anyways bent my rial salerno rim(s) and car is shaking.

I have to drive 700 km before I can put my all seasons on.

You think the suspension will take much damage over 700 km of highway driving? I'll try to find the sweet spot where virbations are best (ie. new balance point)...and I've rotated the bent wheel to the rear passenger side.
Trust me, I work downtown and am constantly weaving avoiding all the road work. During that week I had my 19s on I was doing like 20km/h everywhere. Especially on lakeshore underr the gardiner. I am ready to stop driving in toronto during winter

Your wheels may make it but I'd be worried about prematurely wearing suspension components. I'm no expert in this field so I welcome anyone with insight on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRWheels View Post
I would bring the wheel/tires to a shop that offers Road Force Balancing. Going this route will be able to determine whether you have a out of balance tire or out of round wheel.

-Charles@VMRWheels
I'm going to go this route asap. thank you

Last edited by vantage_coupe; 02-26-2011 at 12:24 PM..
Appreciate 0