E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Sharkedit (Shark Injector) tuner from Jim C. ($299 and details)

Closed Thread

09-27-2008, 06:22 PM   #881
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

yea those types of days are def coming and hard.

I.e., 08 GTR now come with a blackbox to determine everything you have done with your car for warranty and insruances purposes.

p.s. if you drive with traction fully off on the GT-R your warranty is voided!!! and just in case you wanna use launch control, your warranty is voided aswel!!!!!!!!!!!! non the less trying to crack Nissan's publicy claimed anit tuner protection ecu. ahah which i think was cracked but not without some voided warranty.
      09-27-2008, 07:05 PM   #882
Jake C
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i 2010 335d

Somewhere it's posted Jim C is/was awaiting the birth of his first child. I think that fact trumps any kind of release date or "pressure" from anyone. I think he will release it when he is good and ready. My .02

- J
      09-30-2008, 08:25 AM   #883
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake C View Post
Somewhere it's posted Jim C is/was awaiting the birth of his first child. I think that fact trumps any kind of release date or "pressure" from anyone. I think he will release it when he is good and ready. My .02

- J
Baby or not, it takes 30 seconds to post a friggin update, or just have his buddy do it for him.

I'm going with the theory that BMW engineers had him killed/kidnapped/deported, etc, because of what he was going to release.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 09:35 AM   #884
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Or maybe they promised a 2025 M3 for his kid's 16th b-day.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 12:55 PM   #885
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

which will come out first the shark edit or the SSTT2?

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 02:48 PM   #886
grkm3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Shark edit is not coming out,I have been waiting for it since 1998,I have a demo of it from over 10 years ago.

We have been waiting for it for over a decade on bimmerfourms.

There were threads back in 2000,2002,2004,2006 and now it has come up again,this software is nothing but hype.Couple reasons why I think its taking so long.

1.it might not come out because it will get hacked fast and all the honest tuners that tune bmws for a living will die off.All there hard earned maps that run obd2 turbo m3s will get copied and shared all over the place,There goes AA 800 dollar turbo base tune for a basic turbo m3.

Hey guy over there with the dinan 335,can I plug my obd2 reader in your car for a second.Ya go ahead bla bla bla I love dinan.Ya I know I just want to copy your ecu real quick and do a full dump and program 50 cars for half the price.

2.He is afraid that bmw will sue him for cracking there ecu,thanks to the millinium act BMW can fight back hard and basically sue the crap out of anyone that hacks into there encryption.Just like direct tv did to all the people that were selling devices used to hack there cards to watch tv.BMWs ecus are copyrighted ect.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2008, 02:47 PM   #887
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I don't care what the reason is...how about a FRIGGIN UPDATE.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2008, 03:01 PM   #888
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by grkm3 View Post
Shark edit is not coming out,I have been waiting for it since 1998,I have a demo of it from over 10 years ago.

We have been waiting for it for over a decade on bimmerfourms.

There were threads back in 2000,2002,2004,2006 and now it has come up again,this software is nothing but hype.Couple reasons why I think its taking so long.

1.it might not come out because it will get hacked fast and all the honest tuners that tune bmws for a living will die off.All there hard earned maps that run obd2 turbo m3s will get copied and shared all over the place,There goes AA 800 dollar turbo base tune for a basic turbo m3.

Hey guy over there with the dinan 335,can I plug my obd2 reader in your car for a second.Ya go ahead bla bla bla I love dinan.Ya I know I just want to copy your ecu real quick and do a full dump and program 50 cars for half the price.

2.He is afraid that bmw will sue him for cracking there ecu,thanks to the millinium act BMW can fight back hard and basically sue the crap out of anyone that hacks into there encryption.Just like direct tv did to all the people that were selling devices used to hack there cards to watch tv.BMWs ecus are copyrighted ect.
so Jim made a post about it here and on 1addicts back in the spring just to slow down v3 and jb3 sales?

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2008, 03:39 PM   #889
JoosyJoos
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
What makes me wonder is... if this reflash concept is such a good idea... then why hasnt anyone else been working on it. I'm starting to agree with the guy a few posts above that it might be for legal reasons or just general ethical business practices.

Just a thought....

(I'm still hoping for cheap power lol)

1997 M3 Coupe - BMWCCA I-Prepared #22
2006 M Roadster - 23,000 miles and slowly counting
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2008, 03:48 PM   #890
down4it
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Can we all say Vaporware! For now anyway... Jim isnt giving an update and the guy that used to give us updates for him seems to have quit Safe to say its not coming out for a while if its even coming out.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 02:17 AM   #891
hexadecim8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e46 M3

unsubscribe
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 06:14 AM   #892
BmwFanFL
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 - 335i - Cobb stg 1

How about 9/1/2009 anyone? Maybe we've been misreading it all along.

Its ironic that the enthusiasm over this tune has dwindled. At the early concept introduction, "diagnostic invisibility" was just a hope. Now that jb3, V3, SSTT, forgive omissions, have shown to be apparently invisible, this tune has lost its window of invincibility.

Had this been released 3-4 months ago, it could be a killer tune today. Now its just a footnote.

I hope it comes out someday, but can't believe a serious project would go on without even a monthly courtesy update from its sponsor (once public in the first place).

Personally, the screen shot made me think its a long way off. The tricky thing (one of many) in software is that it is very easy to get to a feeling of 60% done. However, how you do that 60% determines whether the other planned 40% turns out to be 50% or 5000% of the original estimate. (yes, its never 100 ;-)

Good luck to Conforti in any case, but please give us an update. Also, congrats to the other tunes that seem to have cracked the code on the n54 for now.

p.s. I'm still tuneless, waiting for a shootout between shark, sstt3, jb5, and v5 ;-) I do add leaded weights to my right shoe to remap the accelerator - saves money on the "sprintbooster."
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 10:12 AM   #893
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwFanny View Post
How about 9/1/2009 anyone? Maybe we've been misreading it all along.

Its ironic that the enthusiasm over this tune has dwindled. At the early concept introduction, "diagnostic invisibility" was just a hope. Now that jb3, V3, SSTT, forgive omissions, have shown to be apparently invisible, this tune has lost its window of invincibility.

Had this been released 3-4 months ago, it could be a killer tune today. Now its just a footnote.

I hope it comes out someday, but can't believe a serious project would go on without even a monthly courtesy update from its sponsor (once public in the first place).

Personally, the screen shot made me think its a long way off. The tricky thing (one of many) in software is that it is very easy to get to a feeling of 60% done. However, how you do that 60% determines whether the other planned 40% turns out to be 50% or 5000% of the original estimate. (yes, its never 100 ;-)

Good luck to Conforti in any case, but please give us an update. Also, congrats to the other tunes that seem to have cracked the code on the n54 for now.

p.s. I'm still tuneless, waiting for a shootout between shark, sstt3, jb5, and v5 ;-) I do add leaded weights to my right shoe to remap the accelerator - saves money on the "sprintbooster."

Where Conforti hasn't missed the boat yet though is with the 29.2 fixability. The piggies can only attempt to somewhat counter the stupid lag. The shark would just make it so that it never existed.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 10:19 AM   #894
bimmerlex
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 F15 X5 xDrive35d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezatnova View Post
Where Conforti hasn't missed the boat yet though is with the 29.2 fixability. The piggies can only attempt to somewhat counter the stupid lag. The shark would just make it so that it never existed.

Well, the newest Progman version from BMW itself (V.31?) seems to eliminate the lag. The latest maps for V3 and JB3 also deal with it.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 11:45 AM   #895
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerlex View Post
Well, the newest Progman version from BMW itself (V.31?) seems to eliminate the lag. The latest maps for V3 and JB3 also deal with it.
Erroneous!

V31 isn't even a reality at this point, and it's moot anyway...it has been discussed in depth on the main thread that it was a faulty progman that just fried radios and other things, and also fried X3's when applied to them. For those reasons BMW yanked it. More importantly, we have already confirmed with Germany that V31 contains no DME updates for the N54.

JB3 does nothing to change idle and low throttle wastegate duty cycles. It only attempt (not too successfully...trust me) to shorten the time it takes for them to close. Notice they still have to close...whereas pre 29.2 they were closed int he first place.

V3 attempts to "trick" the car into changing the cylces and pre-loading, but it still isn't a pure DME generated fix. This is the best attempt that a piggy has taken, but it's not the idea/perfect sollution.

The fix needs to come from the base code to make the car feel fully correct and as-advertised. Hence, spending $2k and potentially fighting with your dealer over the Dinan tune being on your car is the only PURE way to correct the lag right now (for U.S. customer who don't have access to Noelle, etc). Of course, that is because Dinan's base code is that of V27.4.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 12:00 PM   #896
BavarianBullet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi S5

Quote:
Erroneous!

V31 isn't even a reality at this point, and it's moot anyway...it has been discussed in depth on the main thread that it was a faulty progman that just fried radios and other things, and also fried X3's when applied to them. For those reasons BMW yanked it. More importantly, we have already confirmed with Germany that V31 contains no DME updates for the N54.

JB3 does nothing to change idle and low throttle wastegate duty cycles. It only attempt (not too successfully...trust me) to shorten the time it takes for them to close. Notice they still have to close...whereas pre 29.2 they were closed int he first place.

V3 attempts to "trick" the car into changing the cylces and pre-loading, but it still isn't a pure DME generated fix. This is the best attempt that a piggy has taken, but it's not the idea/perfect sollution.

The fix needs to come from the base code to make the car feel fully correct and as-advertised. Hence, spending $2k and potentially fighting with your dealer over the Dinan tune being on your car is the only PURE way to correct the lag right now (for U.S. customer who don't have access to Noelle, etc). Of course, that is because Dinan's base code is that of V27.4.
Did anyone ever check this vid out on youtube? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_RWZASfE3M

It's an aftermarket BOV but I'm guessing the car might pre-29.2 if the BOV is pushing a bit of air into the engine bay. Kinda interesting test to see if your wastegates are open at idle or not.

BB
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 12:04 PM   #897
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianBullet View Post
Did anyone ever check this vid out on youtube? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_RWZASfE3M

It's an aftermarket BOV but I'm guessing the car might pre-29.2 if the BOV is pushing a bit of air into the engine bay. Kinda interesting test to see if your wastegates are open at idle or not.

BB
Interesting. The way I can tell that my wastegates are open at idle is to just listen to the exhaust. It's like 4x louder than it used to be. That or press the gas pedal from a rolling idle.
Anyway, enough OT...unless Jim or his boy can jump in with an update relevant to saving us from the Virus!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 06:25 PM   #898
BmwFanFL
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 - 335i - Cobb stg 1

Quote:
I agree ezat -- I didn't mean to imply all opportunity is gone, only much of the buzz of the time. I also agree you likely can't deal as effectively with issues like the 29.2 lag in a piggyback.

I'd love to hear its coming out, but don't understand why we don't get an occasional update if the project is still underway...
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 08:47 PM   #899
Dr_Dirt
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i 6AT

Hopefully all is well with Jim C and he is just taking some time off to take care of his new baby and family.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 01:20 AM   #900
grkm3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

listen my friends,this has nothing to do with v31 ect.We have been waiting for this software for over 10 years and were talking about 2 generations ago 3 series.I have downloaded the demo back in 99.

Here is a thread just like the ones around today from 04.Its not coming out.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=175524

heres a good read if you are bored.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1085219
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 09:24 AM   #901
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grkm3 View Post
listen my friends,this has nothing to do with v31 ect.We have been waiting for this software for over 10 years and were talking about 2 generations ago 3 series.I have downloaded the demo back in 99.

Here is a thread just like the ones around today from 04.Its not coming out.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=175524

heres a good read if you are bored.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1085219
Jesus. WTF is wrong with Jim & Co that they have nothing better to do than perpetually drag this on for a DECADE? Christ.... just pretty annoying.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 12:59 PM   #902
smdandb2
this space left intentionally blank
Rep
Drives: Blue One

LOL.

Sorry guys, I got busy with life.

Jim had his son, and has been dealing with that. He didnt realize how stressful the few weeks prior to birth would be so Sharkedit got put on hold. Its all about priorities.

He sent me a screenshot a week ago, and its looking great. From what I hear, he is about to send it to a select few people to let them play with it to see if he was completely blind and missed something. I wish I had the screenshot on this computer, as I would post it. He also mentioned to me he is about to start taking pre-orders.

Was he overzealous in guessing the initial release date? Maybe a bit.
Would Sharkedit be released already had someone not opened their mouth on here? Yes

Combined with his wife getting pregnant, and rewriting Sharkedit from the ground up... it got slowed down.

Cmon, what was the original release date? August 1st for OBDII I think. Its not like its been years. No one is stopping any of you from purchasing something else.

I will try to remember to come back here and feed updates when I get them.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread