E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Europe (Continental) > Importing a car from the US to Spain (Barcelona)

12-25-2014, 08:22 AM   #1
M0.92
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e92

Importing a car from the US to Spain (Barcelona)

I am a European citizen in the initial stages of moving to Spain and I plan on brininging my 2007 335 there as moving goods (exempt of VAT).

As it is brought in as moving goods it should also be exempt from certain modifications otherwise needed. I already have the switch for the rear fog lights.

There isn't much info online, at least not in English, regarding this process. Has anyone here recently gone through this process, or able to find some recent info (preferrably in English) on what needs to be done. I am guessing it has the potential of being a nightmare dealing with Spanish authorities.

Also, any members living in Barcelona?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2014, 12:37 AM   #2
keridil
Registered
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335xi

I think your principal problem apart from taxes is going to be MOT. They don't mind at all if the car is imported you should abide the law which is very restrictive lately.

Good luck coming back mate.

BTW, try to seek for help in bmwfaq.com forums, I'm sure there are people used to import cars and its bits from the States.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 08:09 AM   #3
m@rco
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 540i; '07 328i; '03 R1150R

I imported my car into Switzerland and later to Holland. Doable and would do it again. Just make sure to prepare yourself well. Take time for it (both with exporting the car, handing in the title, etc.), organizing transportation (container and/or "Drive-on/Drive-off 'floating car park' vessels), arrival in Europe (which port? Avoid cost from the port to your location, maybe cheaper to drive from Antwerp or Rotterdam to Barcelona yourself). Expat forum provide some information, but most often it is the national road authorities that explain all necessary documentation (title, proof of insurance, proof of move of house hold goods, proof of residency, etc.). Typically you can drive up to 6 months (Switzerland 1 year) with your US plates, so you'll have some time.

For Switzerland I needed the headlight washers because I have xenons... Sh*t, that was an 800e expense that I didn't count on, but ok, it had to be done. But I believe that that is not necessary for other European countries. At least not for Holland, I found out later.

One thing though: you need to reprogram your amber parking lights. They need NOT be yellow/amber in Europe! Only indicators may 'blink' yellow. So when your parking lights are on, or your normal headlights, the amber must be off. I have my angel eyes as parking lights now, and that suffices.

By the way, red, read indicators are accepted in Europe. No worries about that. I still have mine, but I must say other drivers are less used to it, so they tend not to notice (as quickly as they otherwise would) that you want to change lanes. For example, when in traffic, and cars are close to each other, people may think it's a brake light (because they don't see the other light anyways), and don't think that you actually have your indicator on. Oh well, something to keep in mind and not be frustrated about.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 09:26 AM   #4
M0.92
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks guys.

With the rising value of the dollar Ihave to decide whether it makes sense to pay for the shipping, emission taxes and all other possible expenses associated with an import.

My car is in quite good condition with several wear items recently done (brakes x4, new KWs, power steering pump and HPFP) and I already have a pair of new OEM turbos in my closet should they crap out. Only thing needed is a new WP as preventative maintenance, which I will do prior to shipping the car. There's a lot of value in keeping a car which you know the history of, versus gambling on a new purchase.

The Spanish bureaucracy is something which does scare me, especially as I don't speak the language.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 02:29 PM   #5
MSport_Jon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 LCI /// F80 M3 (SOLD)

Word of advice...service your water pump. If not, Please buy the water pump, thermostat and supporting hardware in the U.S.
before you come over to Spain... Tremendously cheap there... I got the entire service kit from ecs tuning for the price of just the water pump alone. That was here in Germany... Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 09:11 PM   #6
M0.92
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSport_Jon View Post
Word of advice...service your water pump. If not, Please buy the water pump, thermostat and supporting hardware in the U.S.
before you come over to Spain... Tremendously cheap there... I got the entire service kit from ecs tuning for the price of just the water pump alone. That was here in Germany... Good luck!
Already ordered a kit and having a e90 member install it for me here in the US.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 04:42 PM   #7
MSport_Jon
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0.92 View Post
Cool stuff..... good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 04:44 PM   #8
MSport_Jon
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0.92 View Post
Hey bro... not sure if you go settle in or what but if you need help translating Spanish, let me know. That is my first language!
Appreciate 0