E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > calling all sound proffessors

12-27-2013, 02:14 PM   #1
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

calling all sound proffessors

Need abit of advice guys

I have Business loudspeaker system (speaker) Amp is the alpine but the speakers are not, infact i compared mine to alpine one and the magnets are so much smaller.

i am looking at plug and play speakers and if possible not wiring ( uses the stock plug).

so far i've found out the max depth of speakers for the front door is 50mm? am i correct?

I don't think these will fit?
Focals

I actually don't mind spending for a kit like this
MB's

Last time i play with sound system was when MB quart were one of the top stuffs..must be around 10 years ago. I've seen some people say MB gone downhill and still have interference?

The car has no interference when mobile reception is near the speakers so i want to keep it that way.

and would my amp be able to run new speakers or i will need a new one? i don't want to upgrade my amp as i seen some people mention alpine is 2ohm and some speaker are 4ohm ( no idea what is is) =[

budget would be £400 using my exisiting amp...

other option is wait for second hand logic 7's mid ranges?

Many many thanks

Now: 718 Cayman GTS / F83 M4
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 02:40 PM   #2
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Alan
When you say Alpine amp, are you referring to Alpine retrofit kit amp?
Or an amp made by alpine?

Also when you say that the magnets are small on your speakers, what speakers are those?
Are those OEM one which were already in your car or were they fitted by you and bought on the forum?
      12-27-2013, 03:01 PM   #3
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Alan
When you say Alpine amp, are you referring to Alpine retrofit kit amp?
Or an amp made by alpine?

Also when you say that the magnets are small on your speakers, what speakers are those?
Are those OEM one which were already in your car or were they fitted by you and bought on the forum?
sam

Option is called S676A business hi-fi or the old name was business loudspeaker.
No retrofit, all OEM , as in it came out of the manufacturer as it is. speakers are tiny little thing by BMW not alpine. Amp looks like an alpine one.

thanks

Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #4
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoro35i View Post
sam

Option is called S676A business hi-fi or the old name was business loudspeaker.
No retrofit, all OEM , as in it came out of the manufacturer as it is. speakers are tiny little thing by BMW not alpine. Amp looks like an alpine one.

thanks
Ok, known term is hi-fi and usually its LEAR amp (black in colour). On new models, BMW has replaced it with silver one.

So you want to improve the sound by keeping the OEM amp?

Just change the door speakers as none of the after market under seats are as sensitive as bmw underseats.

If you want excellent sound, go for focals. Nothing else will give you better sound than what you have at the moment. Focals are bit bright but that is where you will feel the difference.

Gladen and MQ quartz sound soft compared to Focals, so you will not feel much difference.

Whole scenario will change, as soon as you change the amp. On hi-fi sound system, amp is bigger disappointment compared to drivers.

HTH.
      12-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #5
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Ok, known term is hi-fi and usually its LEAR amp (black in colour). On new models, BMW has replaced it with silver one.

So you want to improve the sound by keeping the OEM amp?

Just change the door speakers as none of the after market under seats are as sensitive as bmw underseats.

If you want excellent sound, go for focals. Nothing else will give you better sound than what you have at the moment. Focals are bit bright but that is where you will feel the difference.

Gladen and MQ quartz sound soft compared to Focals, so you will not feel much difference.

Whole scenario will change, as soon as you change the amp. On hi-fi sound system, amp is bigger disappointment compared to drivers.

HTH.
What would a good upgrade on amp will be?

I don't wish to spend big money... Maybe i should just buy the alpine upgrade kit? then i will have a new amp. and some better speakers. i noticed big difference in clarity and bass on blues and twos system...

Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 03:52 PM   #6
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoro35i View Post
What would a good upgrade on amp will be?

I don't wish to spend big money... Maybe i should just buy the alpine upgrade kit? then i will have a new amp. and some better speakers. i noticed big difference in clarity and bass on blues and twos system...
You would not believe that Alpine retrofit kit is a replacement for the cars without hi-fi sound system. In other words, they are very similar in power rating except that your underseats are better.

I think the lack of clarity is down to the difference b.w CCC and CIC sound ICs.
CIC sound chips is far superiors and best so far IMHO.
Also, you can only compare the sound if the source of input is similar in both instances.

If you wish to replace your hi-fi amp, XD 600/6 is your best bet. It fits in the OEM location and you just alter your wiring or get the hi-fi to XD 600/6 harness from Technics.

A used XD 600/6 would do an excellent job.
      12-28-2013, 12:31 AM   #7
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

I'm not at all impressed with the sound quality from my Alpine upgrade, yes it's a lot better than stock but still sounds worse than the stock set up in my wife's Civic. Haven't heard the stock HiFi setup but I cannot see the Alpine upgrade been much better.

Am going to fit my CIC kit soon and maybe that'll make it better, but not too bothered about ICE, and in fairness the Alpine kit is very cheap considering a decent home HiFi Amp alone costs >£500. The most entertaining noise my car makes comes from the N54 engine
Appreciate 0