E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Bmw 335d engine/performance mods

07-30-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
335DieselPower
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D stock engine

Bmw 335d engine/performance mods

Apart from dpf removal, exhaust and remap. Are there any other engine mods?

I think I saw someone create a custom intake filter but not sure how safe this is..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5, 135i, 335d, F10 550xi

Turbo upgrades of course

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 06:32 AM   #3
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

Better intake i.e Scoops go google Cyba Scoops. Besides that I cant figure out any other mod Im fairly new to DIESELS
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 06:46 AM   #4
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport

Garage List
Meth

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 07:56 AM   #5
Jhayd11
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

I haven't found one person who supports the After Market intake filter adding performance to our cars.

Axel swears up an down about his Wagner IC and full remap (much better than chip tuned).

This is the first I have heard of a customer turbo swap. Exciting.

As for the scoops, I haven't seen any comparisons. If they are a quick install, some 1/4 mile times with and without and with again (same day and direction) would help.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 08:17 AM   #6
Bicax
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335d (E91)

I'm quite interested in this since I'm also trying to draft a shopping list as I'm planning to keep the car for at least 5 more years.

As far as I've understood, there are mods that clearly improve performance:

- remap/piggy back (or even remap + piggy back)
- DPF delete + remap
- upgraded turbos (can't find any information on reliability though)
- meth

And there are mods which help maintaining performance under certain conditions:

- upgraded intercooler (especially in hot climates)
- LSD (helps with putting power down to the ground)

I really haven't been able to get any consistent information on anything else. I saw that someone mentioned scoops at some point, but there is no data to backup whether or not they affect performance, and I've seen some good arguments at to why it shouldn't affect performance on a turbo engine. So no matter how inexpensive they are, I wouldn't list it as enhancing/not decreasing performance until someone actually properly tests it (and I mean figures, not feelings ).

I've been looking on different forums, but information is hard to come by, or at least harder than for N54/N55 engines. If someone has any interesting links to share, I would appreciate it
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 09:44 AM   #7
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

"Axel swears up an down about his Wagner IC and full remap (much better than chip tuned). "
Quoted from J

Amigo J, I swear by the products since I have for one been using RENNtech for over 10 yrs and now the IC works at par with the flash!! but as far as i am concerned I cannot recall saying its better than any Piggyback, that said. I might of mentioned I have only ONCE had a limp mode and i gather it was due to clogged systems but drove the car twice in excess of 150 mph on the 1/2 mile run and ever since car has been giving me better mileage and performance. Terry's Piggy Back is well respected but not ALL cars can run right of the bat 100% with it and i have heard and read gives a few ponies more i frankly dont know , hence with the FLASH you can go ahead and start running at 100% the same day!! downside is if BMW has done any flashing on your car you can expect some losses and then resend ECu to get it up to par again!!

As far as the scoop it will perform at better at higher speeds and its noticeable on my end, NO!!! I dont have dynos or whatever, all I can say is try it.

I hv tried the Flash got from OEM 230 whp to 306whp RENNtech, also with WAGNER IC I got anywher from 312 whp thats 6 whp gain but the temps were 90 degrees F and heat index of 96 F so if it were cooler like the previous day 70 F around the same time before the the IC install, we could say we could of gotten at least 10-12 whp instead of 6 whp.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 01:06 PM   #8
335DieselPower
First Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135i_vs_ View Post
Turbo upgrades of course

Ohhhh..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 01:07 PM   #9
335DieselPower
First Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRotor View Post
Meth
How safe is meth?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 01:08 PM   #10
335DieselPower
First Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d View Post
Better intake i.e Scoops go google Cyba Scoops. Besides that I cant figure out any other mod Im fairly new to DIESELS
I will google this! My new bonnet is fairly light, I can feel a serious difference! also, the ventillation is tons better
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 01:10 PM   #11
335DieselPower
First Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhayd11 View Post
I haven't found one person who supports the After Market intake filter adding performance to our cars.

Axel swears up an down about his Wagner IC and full remap (much better than chip tuned).

This is the first I have heard of a customer turbo swap. Exciting.

As for the scoops, I haven't seen any comparisons. If they are a quick install, some 1/4 mile times with and without and with again (same day and direction) would help.
At some point I will do some serious research on this! Eventually no doubt I will test it out, going all the way with my D
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 01:13 PM   #12
335DieselPower
First Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicax View Post
I'm quite interested in this since I'm also trying to draft a shopping list as I'm planning to keep the car for at least 5 more years.

As far as I've understood, there are mods that clearly improve performance:

- remap/piggy back (or even remap + piggy back)
- DPF delete + remap
- upgraded turbos (can't find any information on reliability though)
- meth

And there are mods which help maintaining performance under certain conditions:

- upgraded intercooler (especially in hot climates)
- LSD (helps with putting power down to the ground)

I really haven't been able to get any consistent information on anything else. I saw that someone mentioned scoops at some point, but there is no data to backup whether or not they affect performance, and I've seen some good arguments at to why it shouldn't affect performance on a turbo engine. So no matter how inexpensive they are, I wouldn't list it as enhancing/not decreasing performance until someone actually properly tests it (and I mean figures, not feelings ).

I've been looking on different forums, but information is hard to come by, or at least harder than for N54/N55 engines. If someone has any interesting links to share, I would appreciate it

Totally agree on the scoop front, I will buy them and carry out tests for you though. just to clear that up. But I have just changed my bonnet to that of an M3 rep which is made of carbon fibre. So the weight of my vehicle has reduced dramatically along with better ventilation.

Excuse my ignorance.. LSD?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 01:14 PM   #13
335DieselPower
First Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
"Axel swears up an down about his Wagner IC and full remap (much better than chip tuned). "
Quoted from J

Amigo J, I swear by the products since I have for one been using RENNtech for over 10 yrs and now the IC works at par with the flash!! but as far as i am concerned I cannot recall saying its better than any Piggyback, that said. I might of mentioned I have only ONCE had a limp mode and i gather it was due to clogged systems but drove the car twice in excess of 150 mph on the 1/2 mile run and ever since car has been giving me better mileage and performance. Terry's Piggy Back is well respected but not ALL cars can run right of the bat 100% with it and i have heard and read gives a few ponies more i frankly dont know , hence with the FLASH you can go ahead and start running at 100% the same day!! downside is if BMW has done any flashing on your car you can expect some losses and then resend ECu to get it up to par again!!

As far as the scoop it will perform at better at higher speeds and its noticeable on my end, NO!!! I dont have dynos or whatever, all I can say is try it.

I hv tried the Flash got from OEM 230 whp to 306whp RENNtech, also with WAGNER IC I got anywher from 312 whp thats 6 whp gain but the temps were 90 degrees F and heat index of 96 F so if it were cooler like the previous day 70 F around the same time before the the IC install, we could say we could of gotten at least 10-12 whp instead of 6 whp.

The scoops do work then?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 01:35 PM   #14
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

335dPower It feels better but w/o data I can only pressume, I can attest that my mpg have increased but CANNOT confirm cause I am using a better quality of DIESEL also so who's to say

The scoops actually come up front to the grill and not like OEm intake it takes cooler air from the front unlike OEM baffled hot air from the grills and radiators.

Also, the Pipercross Distributor ECS Tuning wanted to expose the DIESEL air filter and i challenged him and was willing to do the dyno's for free at my expense, i only pay $25 US dollars for one hour here in Puerto Rico but he bailed out on me!!!this was on another forum and his response was the following:

At the current time I'm not interested in having the Pipercross air filters dyno tested. If in the future we have any performance diesel products which are in house ECS designed that I need more dyno testing on I'll keep you in mind.

-James

This was my response to him:

Amigo your response is not what I/we expected somewhat, arrogant, but I respect it, on the other hand it seals your products fate as you wrote it in this forum. C'est la vie my friend

NEEDLESS to say he has NEVER responded after that and is of today 1430 EST.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 01:41 PM   #15
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

Here are photos of the WAGNER IC against OEM and the scoops:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 01:47 PM   #16
joe_planet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335DieselPower View Post
How safe is meth?
just dont smoke it
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 01:50 PM   #17
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

Quote:
Also, the Pipercross Distributor ECS Tuning wanted to expose the DIESEL air filter and i challenged him and was willing to do the dyno's for free at my expense, i only pay $25 US dollars for one hour here in Puerto Rico but he bailed out on me!!
no surprise there. Across all the platforms ive ever seen, which is many, Ive never seen an air filter dyno definitively show that it unlocks any power. Particularly in turbocharged cars running stock boost levels since the turbos typically easily reach stock boost limit so it doesnt matter how freely the filter flows as the flow is basically limited by the ECU and has nothing to do with what the limit of the filter is. Its not until you start bumping the boost a bunch that filters/intakes start to show value.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 01:56 PM   #18
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

yeah Hoop he was kinda arrogant about his product the blog is at bimer fest search pipercross and my nick is Axel61 and to all that he hasnt written anymore WTF trying to sell a product w/o anything to b/up what an mamao!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 01:58 PM   #19
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335DieselPower View Post
How safe is meth?
depends on what you are doing with it. It can be used in a couple of different ways on a diesel, unlike gas cars. For diesels, meth can be sprayed without any additional tuning and see significant gains. Im running JBD at 100% and meth, no additional tuning. On diesel that is perfectly safe as what it gives you is more fuel, lower IATs and lower EGTs.

Water/Meth can also be sprayed onto the intercooler to gain efficiency from the intercooler. I cant imagine using anything other than just water for this from a flammability standpoint but people do it .

In gas cars meth is different as it allows you to tune the car like it is running race gas as the effect of adding water/meth to gas cars is the same as running higher octane fuel. Not C16 high, more like 104 octane. This is also how it tends to get a bad reputation since when this is done, any unequal distribution of the methanol to different cylinders can cause detonation and motor kaboom. Same for if you run out of methanol, clog the meth nozzle, etc. Its much safer for the way I am running it in the diesel with JBD since if something happens and the meth runs out I am just running a JBD at 100%.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 02:00 PM   #20
335DieselPower
First Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
depends on what you are doing with it. It can be used in a couple of different ways on a diesel, unlike gas cars. For diesels, meth can be sprayed without any additional tuning and see significant gains. Im running JBD at 100% and meth, no additional tuning. On diesel that is perfectly safe as what it gives you is more fuel, lower IATs and lower EGTs.

Water/Meth can also be sprayed onto the intercooler to gain efficiency from the intercooler. I cant imagine using anything other than just water for this from a flammability standpoint but people do it .

In gas cars meth is different as it allows you to tune the car like it is running race gas as the effect of adding water/meth to gas cars is the same as running higher octane fuel. Not C16 high, more like 104 octane. This is also how it tends to get a bad reputation since when this is done, any unequal distribution of the methanol to different cylinders can cause detonation and motor kaboom. Same for if you run out of methanol, clog the meth nozzle, etc. Its much safer for the way I am running it in the diesel with JBD since if something happens and the meth runs out I am just running a JBD at 100%.
Very useful post! Many thanks! May give this go!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 02:02 PM   #21
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

Hooper make sure to warn our amigos not to run more than 50% mixture otherwise they might end up like Ron1n he really screwed his DPF and other emmssions systems also
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 02:07 PM   #22
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep

here is a good article on the use of methanol using a tune (I think this is more like a RENNtech, Evolve, etc. tune) and how the power changes by adding meth without making any changes to what is a proven safe tune

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/1...h/viewall.html
Appreciate 0