Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Tightening wheels lugs, torque wrench?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

11-26-2012, 05:54 AM   #1
straightcashhomie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Tightening wheels lugs, torque wrench?

How many people actually tighten their wheel lugs with a torque wrench?.. Just saw one of our members post photos in the photo section, very misfortunate. I never understood, if tightening lugs to a certain torque is so important why do dealers always over tighten the crap out of em..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 06:27 AM   #2
Reznick
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 ,01 330,M240?

Always always always tighten the lugs or wheel studs with a torque wrench to manufacturer specs and in the pattern they suggest. The pattern typically crisscrosses the wheel in a star figure.You can warp the rotor very easily by not doing this properly. I hate to say it but a lot of dealers and shops just plain old don't care.There are air wrenches that can be set to a torque spec , but that should never be used as a final tightening tool, only to make sure you don't over tighten the studs. Its laziness really because going down through a set of wheels with a torque wrench takes about 5 minutes to go around the whole car once the wheels are on.....My family has owned a heavy equipment sales and service shop for over 30yrs. the HUGE sprockets that drive the tracks on a bulldozer call for torque specs. There are about 50 bolts that need to be torqued to about 300 pounds and then another quarter turn. We do it because that's what it calls for, but I've seen plenty of shop that don't..laziness

Last edited by Reznick; 11-26-2012 at 06:30 AM.. Reason: Added
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 06:36 AM   #3
zzzbullseye
BMW Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i (F10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reznick View Post
Always always always tighten the lugs or wheel studs with a torque wrench to manufacturer specs and in the pattern they suggest. The pattern typically crisscrosses the wheel in a star figure.You can warp the rotor very easily by not doing this properly. I hate to say it but a lot of dealers and shops just plain old don't care.There are air wrenches that can be set to a torque spec , but that should never be used as a final tightening tool, only to make sure you don't over tighten the studs. Its laziness really because going down through a set of wheels with a torque wrench takes about 5 minutes to go around the whole car once the wheels are on.....My family has owned a heavy equipment sales and service shop for over 30yrs. the HUGE sprockets that drive the tracks on a bulldozer call for torque specs. There are about 50 bolts that need to be torqued to about 300 pounds and then another quarter turn. We do it because that's what it calls for, but I've seen plenty of shop that don't..laziness
+1

I always use a torque wrench and would highly recommend their use. A decent torque wrench is relatively inexpensive and helps reduce, if not eliminate, lug related issues.

I've not experienced over-tightening with the dealership, but I suppose it happens, and it's a matter of the diligence of the individual mechanic to spin the lugs on using the proper tools and methods.
      11-26-2012, 06:55 AM   #4
morphius909
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 Xi Special Edition-JB

Torque it.

2011 335i X Drive Special Edition-Jerez Black
35% Tint All Around / 3M Rockguard / Weathertech/ PPK2 / 18&12mm Spacers/Lux H8 V3
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 07:25 AM   #5
jheath
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 X3 28d

Always hand torque em. Lots of shops don't, they just bang them on forever with an impact. I always do them myself, or if my regular guy does them I am in the shop when he does.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 08:36 AM   #6
straightcashhomie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reznick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzbullseye View Post
+1

I always use a torque wrench and would highly recommend their use. A decent torque wrench is relatively inexpensive and helps reduce, if not eliminate, lug related issues.

I've not experienced over-tightening with the dealership, but I suppose it happens, and it's a matter of the diligence of the individual mechanic to spin the lugs on using the proper tools and methods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphius909 View Post
Torque it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jheath View Post
Always hand torque em. Lots of shops don't, they just bang them on forever with an impact. I always do them myself, or if my regular guy does them I am in the shop when he does.
thanks for ur opinions, also what tq wrench r u guys using? How about for Spark Plugs?!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 08:42 AM   #7
abhishriv
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe (Space grey)

always torque the wheels and check them regularly! spark plugs have specific torque settings also.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 08:52 AM   #8
morphius909
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightcashhomie View Post
thanks for ur opinions, also what tq wrench r u guys using? How about for Spark Plugs?!
I have two separate Torque Wrenches. One small (3/8") for plugs and one large one (1/2") for lugs.

You'll want 1/2' for tire lugs. Most if not all torque wrenches will have Ft. Lbs and Nm Scale. Make sure it has both as owners manuals sometimes give torque ratings in only one scale.

Torque Wrenches are a bit delicate so don't drop it and make sure you get one with a storage case.

I'm in Canada so I went to Canadian Tire (we call it CRAPPY TIRE Here haha).

*P.S. Putting Antiseize on the lugs is a bit controversial. I put antiseize on as the Canadian winters are corrosive and it just helps to take the lugs off in the spring/fall during tire changeover for me. There is a lot of speculation that if you put on antiseize, that so called torque setting is not valid anymore....I'm not gonna get into the pros and cons. Others on here will probably bring it up. Just be aware. For me, I torque mine wheels to 88 ft.lbs with antiseize).

35% Tint All Around / 3M Rockguard / Weathertech/ PPK2 / 18&12mm Spacers/Lux H8 V3

Last edited by morphius909; 11-26-2012 at 09:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 09:01 AM   #9
abhishriv
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe (Space grey)

Quote:
I have two separate Torque Wrenches. One small (3/8") for plugs and one large one (1/2") for lugs.

You'll want 1/2' for tire lugs. Most if not all torque wrenches will have Ft. Lbs and Nm Scale. Make sure it has both as owners manuals sometimes give torque ratings in only one scale.

Torque Wrenches are a bit delicate so don't drop it and make sure you get one with a storage case.

it really is crappy tire, i bought a torque wrench on sale there couple weeks back, came back home to use it and it didnt click at any setting.. went back to exchange it, got the new one and same thing will have to go back next weekend and yell at them, thinking ill just get one of those needle gauge torque wrenches again like i used to have.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 09:11 AM   #10
Das_Stig
I don't drink water. Fish fuck in it.
Rep
Drives: e90 335xi
Location: Some say he naturally faces magnetic north, and that all of his legs are hydraulic...

what.. i only took my car in to get the locks installed because i don't have a torque wrench here in chicago... didn't know they might be too lazy to do it right..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 09:28 AM   #11
morphius909
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishriv View Post
it really is crappy tire, i bought a torque wrench on sale there couple weeks back, came back home to use it and it didnt click at any setting.. went back to exchange it, got the new one and same thing will have to go back next weekend and yell at them, thinking ill just get one of those needle gauge torque wrenches again like i used to have.
Stick with the Mastercraft Maximum. it's better crappy tire brand. Hold out for those 70% off sales

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 09:29 AM   #12
straightcashhomie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

*P.S. Putting Antiseize on the lugs is a bit controversial. I put antiseize on as the Canadian winters are corrosive and it just helps to take the lugs off in the spring/fall during tire changeover for me. There is a lot of speculation that if you put on antiseize, that so called torque setting is not valid anymore....I'm not gonna get into the pros and cons. Others on here will probably bring it up. Just be aware. For me, I torque mine wheels to 88 ft.lbs with antiseize).
awesome, I just picked up a craftsman microtork wrench 3/8s for plugs and such. how about this 1/2 inch one from ecs? http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-335...All/ES2221244/
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 09:34 AM   #13
MrRetep
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435i M-Sport

yup, always torque wrench. and check them periodically especially before/after spirited driving.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 09:45 AM   #14
gpb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i Cabrio

Quote:
There is a lot of speculation that if you put on antiseize, that so called torque setting is not valid anymore
Not really any speculation, adding antiseize invalidates the torque value if the manufacturer didn't specify to use it. There *is* speculation as to whether it's needed or not, but I won't get into that as it's been a long time since I lived in the Rust Belt.

Torque is a measure of the sliding friction between the threads as you tighten the bolt. Add antiseize and you change the coefficient of friction, which means you risk over or under torquing the bolts if you go by the specified torque value.

If you must use something on the threads different from the manufacturer's specification, supposedly you can use the K values to figure the new/correct torque values. I'd be really cautious doing this and recheck torque periodically to avoid any unpleasant surprises.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 09:48 AM   #15
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
How many people actually tighten their wheel lugs with a torque wrench?.. Just saw one of our members post photos in the photo section, very misfortunate. I never understood, if tightening lugs to a certain torque is so important why do dealers always over tighten the crap out of em..
I've never seen anyone (dealer or tire shop) NOT torque them. Is basic. Always the last step. Automatic.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 09:53 AM   #16
MrQuickR1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

88'#'s is the target??
I usually torque everything but never on the tires.
Wondering if this is part of the pulsing feeling I get when braking/driving
I guess I will start as soon as I swap the winter tires on
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 10:04 AM   #17
Braumin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Sedan

Yes if you over torque you can warp the rotors. Unfortunately this is a one way process. Re-torqueing them now won't unwarp them and your pulsation will likely be with you until you change the rotors.

Lots of shops just use an impact to blast the lug nuts on. It's a terrible practice.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 10:13 AM   #18
talisman311
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

I bought a harbor freight 1/2 for 20 on sale. I always use it to torque any lug nut.
      11-26-2012, 10:29 AM   #19
MrQuickR1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braumin View Post
Yes if you over torque you can warp the rotors. Unfortunately this is a one way process. Re-torqueing them now won't unwarp them and your pulsation will likely be with you until you change the rotors.

Lots of shops just use an impact to blast the lug nuts on. It's a terrible practice.
That sucks, they're brand new rotors too lol. Oh well looks like I'll be doing brakes again this Spring
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 12:40 PM   #20
zzzbullseye
BMW Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i (F10)

Quote:
awesome, I just picked up a craftsman microtork wrench 3/8s for plugs and such. how about this 1/2 inch one from ecs? http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-335...All/ES2221244/
This is the wrench I purchased and use. It has a very solid feel and adjusts easily and precisely. Initially, I purchased one from AutoZone for ~$50 that was similar to the one in your link, and it was junk. You typically get what you pay for in tools. Also, keep in mind that ideally, the target torque reading for the given usage should fall roughly in the middle of the tool's capability...so don't be tempted to buy a 30-250 ft. lb. wrench as more capacity in this instance isn't necessarily better.

Last edited by zzzbullseye; 11-26-2012 at 06:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 12:49 PM   #21
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Yes, I always use a torque wrench for the final fastening. I bought a nice one from BavAuto. I also use an impact wrench (Ingersoll-rand) to remove the lugs once loosened with a breaker bar, and to mount the lugs to about 70 Ft lbs. The final target is 90 Ft lbs with the torque wrench.

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 01:05 PM   #22
dcat151
Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6MT ZSP/ZPP/ZCW

I always use a torque wrench. I try to get any shop that's working on my car to do so too, with mixed success.
Appreciate 0